Connecting Garmin Aera 500 to ACK E-04

AKBill

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AKBill
Having problems with the final set of instillation interfacing a Garmin AERA 500 to the ACK E-04 ELT. When connected to the test lead I'm not getting a signal.

I think I have everything connected properly. Connections for the interface cable are:
pin 1 power
pin 2 test lead
pin 3 ground
pin 4 blue wire (data out) from the Garmin bare wire kit

I selected NMEA Out, Normal speed on the AERA 500

Anyone have an idea why I do not get a signal on the test lead. Test lead is connected to a 2V LED connected to a 300 ohm resistor then to ground

Thanks, Bill B

Pirep about the test light. It blinks very dim, so make sure you’re not missing it. I had to close my fist around the led and hold it up to my eye in order to see it, but I had been warned that it would be hard to see.

Last edited:
Pirep about the test light. It blinks very dim, so make sure you’re not missing it. I had to close my fist around the led in order to see it, but I had been warned that it would be hard to see.

I actually turned off lights in the hanger and closed my hand around it. I'm wondering if I selected the right mode for the NMEA out? I also checked that the ELT is set to 9600 baud.

edit: I did not connect the shield to AC ground. Could this be my problem?

Your test lead should have a separate ground and a hot with a 300 ohm resistor. The test wire goes to the hot and the ground to a ground. Your description is off. Maybe just lack of coffee?

I’d confirm the ground is good and I’d make sure the fuse to the interface is good. And I’d make sure the master is on and the GPS is powered up. :)

And if you’re using a Gizmo dock make sure your plug into the GPS is properly seated.

Well I figured it out. Interface instructions for the Garmin were not real clear. Instead of NMEA Out at 4800 baud, I used "Aviation in/NMEA & VHF Out" at 9600 baud.

Signal on the 2V LED was bright for me.

I'm a happy camper, now it's logbook entry and button everything up...:)

Back