What does POA think of the Kitfox?

I like the Kitfox. If I could afford two my second one would be a Kitfox with huge tars on it.

Looks like a lot of fun. Wonder with the price is “as shown”

We had one at the field for a couple years. It looks very nice, but also very flimsy. The guys that owned it worked on it about 10:1 over flying it, but maybe they just liked to tinker.

Parents neighbor in Maine built one on floats, as well as a trike. Solid machine - would love one.

Don’t ignore the Rans line as well

Carbon cubs are a whole different league though in terms of price.
Actually, once you add in the 915 on a Kitfox (engine + FWF kit is over forty grand!) you are seriously getting up there.

Actually, once you add in the 915 on a Kitfox (engine + FWF kit is over forty grand!) you are seriously getting up there.

Yea it does get expensive...what is it like 150K?

Yea it does get expensive...what is it like 150K?
All I can say is that for the price and wait time, one could buy a nice 182 and be flying. Just like most Jeep and Land Rover owners, most of us will never do Trent Palmer flying (I've landed on grass and gravel, that's probably my limit here in the midwest!) so I don't really need a STOL craft. I just want one. The basic kits for almost everything look pretty cheap, but the ROT is to triple it for the finished product. I'm looking at the Zenith 801, with a Subaru 3.6 six-banger, as I approach retirement. I'll have about 45 extra hours a week, and as I only will spend half of that fishing, I can get right to the airplane.

You would not purchase any LSA vs a GA? Fair enough, i do agree GA is built more heavy duty and for more serious applications. LSA planes are built to be light and mainly for fun flying in good weather. I reckon they cost so much due to r&d and safety testing. That and the production rate is pretty low.

Actually LSA are GA. Not sure what sort of distinction you are drawing.

Parents neighbor in Maine built one on floats, as well as a trike. Solid machine - would love one.

Don’t ignore the Rans line as well
The Rans S-20 (and others models) is definitely worth a look.

Don't know how tall OP is but I definitely fit more comfortably in a Rans than a Kitfox. I'm 6'3" though so that tends to be more of an issue for me than most.

I'm 6 feet tall with long legs (half my height is in my legs) and when I test flew a Kitfox my legs started cramping after about fifteen minutes because there just wasn't enough leg room. They're nice airplanes, but I wouldn't recommend them for tall or beefy folks just because of the cabin dimensions. Some of the Kitfox models may have more room, but the one I flew was decidedly cramped (for me). YMMV.

Back