I got reported to the FAA (not a ******* Satire)

... Sarcasm is the highest form of humor and there are a lot of people that don't get it. I have taken to to adding [sarcasm] [/sarcasm] if I think I am dealing with people who are clueless.
A lot of people aren't good at sarcasm.

I had a personal experience where the head of an un-named FSDO asked me how my infant daughter was doing. There was basically no way he could have known that unless he or someone else at the FSDO was trolling my Facebook page - which I also know was true. Got rid of FB for other personal reasons, but I've pretty much never regretted that decision.

I had a personal experience where the head of an un-named FSDO asked me how my infant daughter was doing. There was basically no way he could have known that unless he or someone else at the FSDO was trolling my Facebook page - which I also know was true. Got rid of FB for other personal reasons, but I've pretty much never regretted that decision.
Same here, re:FB.

Someone mentioned PBOR - it does not apply to an investigation
Yes it does. It's a, if not the, major part of PBoR:

(1) In general.-Except as provided under paragraph (3), the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration (referred to in this section as the 'Administrator') shall provide timely, written notification to an individual who is the subject of an investigation relating to the approval, denial, suspension, modification, or revocation of an airman certificate under chapter 447 of title 49, United States Code.​

What he most likely got is a "Letter of Investigation." The very fist thing the FAA Order on the enforcement process says about Letters of Investigation is:

a. Contents of the Letter of Investigation.
(1) PBR Notification. If the recipient of the LOI is an airman (and the apparent violation may result in legal enforcement action against an airman certificate), then the LOI will include appropriate notice under the PBR, as described in paragraph 4.b., above.​

I guess it's time for me to do another enforcement seminar in North Carolina.

Last edited:
Maybe we could get the message across to these humorless people if we all post our own misdeeds right here in this thread. Bryan could print them and take them as evidence for his case.

I will start:

One night in about 2008, my buddies and I snuck into the Kennedy Space Center and blasted off in the shuttle for a fun little flight over the southeast for maybe an hour. Ha-ha! I was not night current! (No one had a clue, although there was some head-scratching about the missing rocket fuel the next morning.)

Is the FAA required to investigate all complaints? I don't know the answer but perhaps the guy knows it is sarcasm but is required to follow up on the complaint. What concerns me is if he wasn't looking for blood could he not have handled it over the phone. Reviewing the log books and such seem like overkill perhaps a lawyer makes sense in this case you would hate to lose your cert over nonsense.

Seems to me the call should have gone like this...

FAA Dude: Mr. 6PC we have a complaint can you tell me about this.

6PC: Yeah well it's Facebook and I was being sarcastic I thought that would be obvious but apparently it wasn't.

FAA Dude: That is what I thought but it's my job to follow up on these things. Trust me I have better things to do.

6PC: Wow I never would have thought someone would take that seriously that was the intent of the smiley face. I am sorry if someone took it differently I will refrain from this type of post in the future thanks for bringing it to my attention. Sorry to waste your time.

FAA Dude: No problem Mr. 6PC fly safe thanks for your cooperation.

6PC: Before you go I have a few people I would like to report if you have the time. (Lists half of POA)

Sarcasm is the highest form of humor and there are a lot of people that don't get it. I have taken to to adding [sarcasm] [/sarcasm] if I think I am dealing with people who are clueless.

That's exactly how the call went!
I said "Here's my blog, a website, my youtube channel, etc"

He says "I get it but My job is to investigate these things and if I don't investigate it, there is no need for me to have a job"

I asked for a screenshot of the comment and he said "I can try to get it to you but I am n't supposed to let you know who complained.
so I just said "Read it to me then" and he did.

I did speak to an aviation attorney and he basically said, comply, don't volunteer anything and your goal should be to keep the meeting as short as possible. yes sir, no sir.

I did speak to an aviation attorney and he basically said, comply, don't volunteer anything and your goal should be to keep the meeting as short as possible. yes sir, no sir.
You’ll be fine. One thing you can almost guarantee is that it wasn’t anyone of us. I would feel pretty confident in that.

Last edited:
Maybe we could get the message across to these humorless people if we all post our own misdeeds right here in this thread. Bryan could print them and take them as evidence for his case.

I will start:

One night in about 2008, my buddies and I snuck into the Kennedy Space Center and blasted off in the shuttle for a fun little flight over the southeast for maybe an hour. Ha-ha! I was not night current! (No one had a clue, although there was some head-scratching about the missing rocket fuel the next morning.)

Reported :)

Once you explain that you don’t charge money because you don’t give good instruction, you should be fine....... :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

(Extra smileys for the sarcasm impaired)

Good luck with the meeting

OK, I will 'fess up. Earlier this year, I flew a Cessna from KTMB to KSPG with absolutely no fuel in the aircraft. Took off with empty tanks and landed the same way.

I was going to go one of 2 routes. Just answer his questions with short answers and get out of there.
or
Bring photos and explain:
I'm not really drinking low lead here.
I am not actually inverted there.
That is a green screen.
You can't actually hang from the landing gear in flight like that.
This elf isn't actually real.
You can't really fly from the back seat.
I didn't actually clean the prop while it was spinning
I've never met Morgan Freeman or Chris Walken
You don't really have to verify the tubes are present.

I was going to go one of 2 routes. Just answer his questions with short answers and get out of there.
or
Bring photos and explain:
I'm not really drinking low lead here.
I am not actually inverted there.
That is a green screen.
You can't actually hang from the landing gear in flight like that.
This elf isn't actually real.
You can't really fly from the back seat.
I didn't actually clean the prop while it was spinning
I've never met Morgan Freeman or Chris Walken
You don't really have to verify the tubes are present.

Nor can you get coffee out of the sumps... or can you?

What a joke. I’m honestly not surprised though.

Quite frankly, there are some people on PoA who would pull some BS like that. A few of whom have even posted on this thread *gasp* :eek:

Best of luck - never ceases to amaze me how pathetic some people are.

Hey I bet it was MAKG that reported you! :p

Bryan, let us know how it turns out when it’s all over in a couple of years. Especially if you are able to get your certificate back. If not, at least provide the link to your plane on Barnstormer’s. :D

Good luck!

"My account was hacked. That's my story and I'm sticking to it."

Guilty until proven innocent, typical government. This will work out for you Briany, the truth shall set you free my man. I wonder if there is any retribution process by the FAA regarding the idiot who needs to get a sense of humor for Christmas.

As noted above, the FAA investigator is required to conduct the investigation - it is not discretionary. This is universally true throughout the various administrative agencies.

I hate snitch finks. Hopefully you will have a quick review of your logs and be done with it.

All, the second image posted is a snip from the Compliance Philosophy Brochure and is not a LOI. See the entire unedited version of the brochure here.

Whenever an ASI responds to a complaint and yes they must respond, they will usually initially issue this brochure. This is especially true of instance where real enforcement action isn't necessarily warranted. It is all part of the compliance philosophy which is part of the kinder gentler FAA. If they felt that Bryan was actually doing what was reported, they would have done some preliminary investigation which would have included interviewing people who they felt might have direct knowledge of what the humorless accuser is accusing him of. If there was anything to substantiate the accusation, they would have issued Bryan a LOI.

This will most likely end quickly and painlessly after he talks to the FAA with a compliant and respectful attitude. An attitude that I would suggest that everyone adopt if ever confronted with such a situation. The ASI most likely knows it was just a stupid joke but is required to at least perform some pro forma investigative steps. Why? Because if the accuser does not think the ASI actually did an investigation, he might elevate it to a higher FAA level or call his congressman. So the ASI is prudently going through some basic steps as he is required to do and he is probably hating every minute of it. They do have real work to do.

In the end he might say something along the lines of "Yeah, I get it is a joke. It was pretty obvious to me. You just need to be aware that some people might not always get your jokes or appreciate your humor in your videos and might make a big deal of it." He might even acknowledge that the smiley face in that post and the satire verbiage in the videos make it clear it is just your basic sophomoric humor and satire and should not have been taken seriously. But he might then caution you to be more careful with your humor lest some fool take you too seriously and does something really stupid. He might even go as far as to acknowledge that the person who made the call probably knew it was a joke but might be bearing a grudge of some sort. Who really knows what the motivation was. Right now, that does not matter. Just help the ASI check his boxes so he can get back to doing what he really needs and wants to do and what I hope we all want him to do which is keeping the real problem children out there in check.

I just called Mr Aviation 101 who has gone through this multiple times.
He basically said what the last few have said. They have no choice but to investigate the complaint.
They will look at my logbook and send me on my way.

He said they may make the suggestion that I tone it down a bit.
If that is the case, then I will just let the FSDO guy know we may become good friends.

My plan is to answer his questions and let him do his job in hopes we can both get back to our real jobs.

Though I may wear my "world's greatest pilot" hat just so he knows.

Since you posted it on a pilot related FB page, it makes me wonder if the complaint was internal. Seems it wouldn't take but a few minutes a week for some lacky to monitor a few FB pilot feeds for possible violations.

As noted above, the FAA investigator is required to conduct the investigation - it is not discretionary. This is universally true throughout the various administrative agencies.
Yeah, when I was a USAF contractor, every complaint was run to its end. Not so much fun.

I'd say go with the hat too..
Although spin it around sideways, put some aluminum foil on your front teeth, and bussup in'air sayin your name is Rhyme Ice....yo.....Rime wit a "Y"

(well, also an h, but don't ruin it)

Then say you need to make it quick..you got a student waiting.
Then chuckle and say "naw, just messing witcha cuz...we need to be cirrus up in her....what's down blessed up?"

And finally, ask him if he want a 40 out the cooler

It would appear some thin skinned person,doesn’t appreciate your sarcasm
Or humor. Unfortunately now you have to deal with the FAA ,over a face book post. Good luck.

That WOULD get him in trouble. 41cfr 102-74.420 is a misdemeanor. Videos are just a series of pictures. If it captured audio, well, now we are also into wiretap laws.

Just don't do it.

Make sure to record the meeting for more Youtube videos.

Back