Last UPS MD-11 out of Warsaw

MD11Pilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MD11Pilot
I flew this airplane type for ten years (2-23-2008 to 2-8-2018) and four thousand hours. I flew everyone of the planes in this video. It was a plane that you either loved or hated and you had to fly it. Roomy, comfortable and very automated until something broke then you had to really be on top of it. A real airplane.
This video was made by a couple of gentlemen in Warsaw Poland that made their hobby and passion as plane spotters and photographers. They did a tremendous job on this and we truly appreciate it. I always enjoyed the Warsaw layover and the friendly people.

Enjoy

Dan Drew

Sent from my iPad

Awesome video. Thanks for sharing. Always liked that airplane. 2 questions. First, is UPS just retiring them from that route or all together? And Second, what are you flying now?

Just retiring them from that route only. They are slowly making it a domestic plane as the level of knowledge of maintenance is ebbing and parts are a little more difficult. Technically it is now a step child of Boeing and they aren’t going to cry when the last one is parked. There were only 195 built and the Swissair crash was the only one lost to anything other than a landing accident. We lost one on a takeoff when the center gear broke at V1 speed and the crew rejected the takeoff. The plane was destroyed.

Now, I am retired and have a Bonanza and trying to relearn all of the new airspace stuff and falling in love with aviation again.

I know nothing about big iron - but this video is done so well you cant help but get drawn into it. Thanks for posting!

Gary
Big Iron vs Little Iron

Pull back, the houses get smaller
Push forward, the houses get bigger

Pull back too far and too long and the houses get bigger very fast.

Seriously, they are just airplanes that you have to think differently in some situations and faster but my first lessons in a Cessna 150 seemed like traveling at Mach 1.

I am back to flying a Bonanza now and absolutely having the time of my life....now if I just remember the Class E and G stuff.

Beautiful video, whether or not you have a thing for MD-11s or Warsaw. Thanks.

Great vid! They must really love the md-11 over there!!!

Loved the MD-11 from the first time I saw one (FedEx), when I worked at EWR.
Occasionally, during my commute to work, I see them flying the VOR 13L/R (Canarsie approach)/Parkway Visual into JFK.
That's an impressive sight while on the Belt Parkway! Those who are familiar with the curved approach will know what I'm talking about.
I have to remind myself to keep my eyes on the road traffic instead of the air traffic.:D

Thanks for sharing the video.

Last edited:
Back