Cherokee Carb Heat Duct

JGoodish

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
JGoodish
I have a PA-28-181 (Archer II), and the ducting between the exhaust shroud and carb heat box is coming apart at the ends around the clamps. It appears to have been spot repaired previously using red RTV. I am considering replacing the entire duct rather than continuing to repair it, but it appears that the actual Piper part is astronomical in price for what is probably 12" or so of duct. Since it is oval in shape, it does not appear to be standard SCAT.

Does anyone know if there a generic (PMA) replacement, or is this a specialized part only available from Piper?

Yup - it is an expensive one. I replaced mine at annual last year - $285. It is round at one end, molded, and oval at the other end. Could not find it cheaper.

I have a PA-28-181 (Archer II), and the ducting between the exhaust shroud and carb heat box is coming apart at the ends around the clamps. It appears to have been spot repaired previously using red RTV. I am considering replacing the entire duct rather than continuing to repair it, but it appears that the actual Piper part is astronomical in price for what is probably 12" or so of duct. Since it is oval in shape, it does not appear to be standard SCAT.

Does anyone know if there a generic (PMA) replacement, or is this a specialized part only available from Piper?

I am not sure about an Archer II, but if it is anything like a standard old Cherokee, I recommend to bite the bullet. I have seen several SCEET ducts in place of the originals and they start to come apart after a while. Those particular hoses keep the air flowing to the engine and the engine keeps the fan in front turning, which keeps the pilot from sweating. ;)

On my aircraft, there is no duct between the air box and carb, only between the muffler shroud and carb. However, this duct will need repaired or replaced at some point. I believe that Piper only recommends a 20 year service life, though in my case the duct itself is in excellent condition except for the ends.

I am going to check with the "Custom Duct" folks, as Karl suggested, to see if they can repair/reinforce the ends of the duct. If not, I will probably have to purchase a new Piper part eventually, as it seems that there are no other alternatives.

Back