Non-was 430 Satellite Issue

jheyen

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
heyen
checking in to see if anyone else has had this problem with their non-waas 430. Went for a flight today and the 430 wouldn’t get past the satellite acquisition page (see attached). I restarted several times but no luck. After the plane was on the ground and off for 3 hours still no luck.

The unit was overhauled 2 years ago and I had a stratus transponder put in in August, but have taken several flights since then with no issue.

Anyone else been down this road before?

Attachments

• 0C628537-61A4-4847-A5BD-F2E01A1751D4.jpeg
    0C628537-61A4-4847-A5BD-F2E01A1751D4.jpeg
    223.1 KB · Views: 31
I'd check the coax and antenna. A good Av shop can test both. As a DIY first step, try exercising the BNC coax connectors on the back of the tray and at the antenna. Visually check for corrosion.

We can help you more based on what you find.

There's a small hole in the bottom front to provide access to a hex head screw which turns 90º to unlock the unit. If memory serves me... there are two 90º stops to allow the unit to slide out.

I didn’t see any GPS notices in the briefing but I just found this map online that might explain it if it pertains to my unit.

upload_2018-10-19_23-5-25.png

If you decide to remove, if your retest doesn't checkout... Here's a video that might be helpful. It's the same basic process for the 430.

I didn’t see any GPS notices in the briefing but I just found this map online that might explain it if it pertains to my unit.

View attachment 68280
It applies to all aviation gps systems. I would bet that it was due to RAIM outages and recommend not removing the unit until you actually verify that it was not a due to RAIM.

I’m going to check it out tomorrow. Cold front moving through today with 45 MPH gusts. No thank you.

Last edited:
Just as an update I’ve had the reception issues for the last couple months and had a replacement antenna that was just waiting to be replaced. Was out this past Sunday for my night currency and still had issues but on Tuesday she fired up with no problems. I’ve done nothing to it so I’m hoping the gremlins are gone but am guessing it’s a connection somewhere now.

But at least it has been an inexpensive repair so far.

Antennas don't often go bad but Garmin has had issues when the mounting screws were over-torqued (especially when mounted on a non-flat surface). It is more likely one of the TNC connectors or something in between is the cause of your issues. Another common issue (post install) is having too little coax between the GPS antenna and the 430. The install manual requires a minimum of 10' (at least for WAAS units).

Heading to Avionics Place in Rockford tomorrow to finally get this addressed.

I’ll post the results after.

GPS happy again. Bad Antenna. Actually two bad antennas because I already replaced it with a used one.

Kudos to Tony from Avionics Place for getting this fixed for me.

Back