Grumman OV-1 Mohawk

alfadog

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
alfadog
So I drive 3 hours a day because of the unique opportunity I have to work on the Beech 18's. But the fellow I work for is really known as the Mohawk man. He's got probably a half-dozen flying examples of the Grumman OV-1 Mohawk and a bunch of carcasses. So Friday he received the long-awaited shipment from a certain South American nation. Traded some Diamond twins for their military's entire collection of Mohawks and spares. It took a long time and a lot of cash to get them here but the containers are starting to arrive. First one was full of overhauled engines which is a good thing because one of the flying Mohawks is making metal.

IMG_20181015_075741720_HDR.jpg IMG_20181015_075720901.jpg IMG_20181015_075921373_HDR.jpg IMG_20181015_080021449_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm... it’d be nice to get some dual in one of those for kicks.

Right now, I'll settle for some time in one of the Beech 18's. I still need to finish my commercial then my multi-engine before I can broach that subject.

Joe doesn’t do many shows but it’s a good demo if you get a chance to see him.

http://mohawkairshows.com/

Good performer. Worked quite a few “Shadys” on approach in 96 just before Hunter AAF retired the last of them. Retire too soon and an updated version would have filled an important role in today’s low intensity conflicts.

We maintain his Mohawk.

Good performer. Worked quite a few “Shadys” on approach in 96 just before Hunter AAF retired the last of them. Retire too soon and an updated version would have filled an important role in today’s low intensity conflicts.

I love Mohawks! Where are these?

What is the story with the shredded DA42?

I forgot the exact story but if I remember correctly, a doctor picked it up at the factory and for some reason landed it off-field. The composite structure was damaged beyond economical repair and my boss bought it for parts.

What is the story with the shredded DA42?

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=66045

The privately-operated Iwok Corporation Diamond DA-42 Twin Star aircraft (C-GPGC) was on a VFR flight to Toronto (Buttonville) Municipal Airport (CYKZ). The aircraft experienced electrical problems and landed at Foxden Farms (located approximately six (6) miles north of Buttonville Airport). The aircraft landed on the runway and skidded off the end into the trees. The pilot advised that he was not injured, however, the aircraft has significant damage.

Sources:

We maintain his Mohawk.

Cool. Looks like he’ll have plenty of spares to keep his going for quite some time.

Flew with a few former Mohawk guys in the Army. They loved the plane. Unfortunately it was long retired when aircraft selection came for me.

Love the Mohawk,but would settle for a few hours in the beech 18.

Beaufort County (SC) has an OV-10 they use for mosquito control.

OV-10%20Bronco-1.09-16-11.jpg

My wife has some actual dual time in Mohawks including ferrying flights :) I have sat in one and I would be quite surprised if I would be successfully ejected through that tiny opening on top. Plus I think its the first generation ejection seat so probably very harsh. And holy **** are those prop tips close to the canopy. Also, IIRC both props turn the same direction on a Mohawk (not opposite like most turbo props). Very cool planes.

Mohawks leave a bad taste in my mouth...prior to the helos and C-130's flying into DESERT ONE, a Mohawk went in to check the landing area. He landed next to the road and reported a solid surface. However, 50 yards off the road it was all sand and dust-guess where the rescue team landed? The rest is a very sad story.

Also, IIRC both props turn the same direction on a Mohawk (not opposite like most turbo props).

Very few turboprops have counter-rotating props. Off the top of my head the Cheyenne 400LS is the only one I can think of.

Man, I should have got into medicine!

Anyone who lives in “the low country” has seen that OV-10 and DC-3 flying low and spraying for mosquitos. The shop at my old airport painted that thing. Had a heck of a time painting it because the armor plating wouldn’t take the paint. Great vis from the front seat.

Very few turboprops have counter-rotating props. Off the top of my head the Cheyenne 400LS is the only one I can think of.
Doesn't the SAAB (forget exact model, twin commuter)?

Yeah 340...but Ted is right, the 340 does not have counterrotating props.

Doesn't the SAAB (forget exact model, twin commuter)?

As you noted, the Saab 340 does not (neither does the Saab 2000).

Counter-rotating engines are extra work to produce. The benefits are equal OEI performance and control regardless of which engine fails. Therefore, you only see this extra effort put in when it's needed to get that little bit of additional performance or control. A number of Piper twins are counter-rotating because their OEI performance is very marginal and they needed that extra little oomph to pass the cert tests (Navajo C/R, Chieftain, Seneca II-V come to mind). Note that the Cheyenne I, II, and III/A don't have counter-rotating props, despite the I and II being essentially a Navajo. However the II does have an AOA/stick pusher. The 400LS is 1000 HP/side with enormous props and I suspect needed the counter-rotating engines for control.

The only Cessna with counter-rotating props is the 303, which I think was due to a combination of low power and the business goal of trying to make it extremely docile. By the way the plane wasn't hugely successful.

When you get into the airliner world you don't want to have dissimilar parts for left vs. right engines as that makes maintenance harder. So there's a lot of incentive to avoid counter-rotating engines if you can.

<snip>
When you get into the airliner world you don't want to have dissimilar parts for left vs. right engines as that makes maintenance harder. So there's a lot of incentive to avoid counter-rotating engines if you can.

During my 1st CFI renewal class, they had a segment on Multi-engine airplanes. The instructor asked the class... who knows which way the propellers turned on a P-38. The old instructor in the back answered... After Maintenance got a hold of them they might turn any direction:). In the field they used which ever engine they had available.

Brian

@Ted DuPuis : Resurrecting this thread regarding counter rotating props. When I was watching the OV-10 Bronco video that was recently posted it mentioned having counter rotating props during the video (Time 2:52). So another one to add to a relatively short list!!!

Back