"Any landing you walk away from...

VWGhiaBob

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
VWGhiaBob
...is a good landing."

Since this is obviously not true (I've had my share of horrible landings in 750 hours), does anyone know where this saying came from? Is it from back in the day when it was true and planes were new?

Just curious...

Probably from the same place as "There are no old, bold pilots." I can tell you there are a few.

I wish I had a copy of it but back in 1981 when I was in flight school we had a cartoon that was labeled "Any landing you walk away from is a good one." It shows an airplane crashed into a barn and the student looks back at the instructor and asks "How's my landing." The instructor says "Middlin'."

The same place ‘yes honey, it’s on the market, I just haven’t had any calls on it’ came from.....

I think my uncle Bob said it first. But he had a bad landing so I cant verify it

Walked away from a bad landing once,but you couldn’t use the airplane till repaired,so I guess ,it wasn’t a great landing.

...is a good landing."

Since this is obviously not true (I've had my share of horrible landings in 750 hours), does anyone know where this saying came from? Is it from back in the day when it was true and planes were new?

Just curious...

I believe it was this guy:
dilbert-the-pilot-6.jpg

I had first hand experience with this saying yesterday and I have video to prove it. No I will not post the video, I might share the experience in the lessons forum though.

No. It is not the pants that do it.

If you live and walk away, it was good enough.

In the RC world, it's something like "any landing that costs less than $20 is a good landing"
Maybe multiply that by a factor of two for GA.

Yeah, I am not a fan of either of those, the landing one or the bold one.

I thought it was "You're only a little fatter than your sister..."?

"Any landing you can walk away from is a good one!"
— Gerald R. Massie, U.S. Army Air Forces photographer. Written in 1944 after the crash-landing of his B-17.

So would a landing you can crawl away from be considered "fair" ?

Back