Katamarino's off around the world; planning thread

Katamarino

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Katamarino
Edit: important first point. If anyone else wants to get involved; fly along for sections, bring their own airplane along for bits (Atlantic crossing for example), or have involvement in any other way; let me know! Always more fun to work with others on stuff like this.

As alluded to my in Alaska/Canada thread, the next big adventure is planned as an around-the-world, from roughly May 2019 to January 2020. Flying about 3.5 weeks at a time. I'm starting this thread to solicit ideas and guidance from others who have done similar travels, as well as anyone who wishes to offer advice, abuse, or flippant comments.

Current planning status

Aircraft status and prep:
  • C182R model
  • Low time (400 hours) PPonk engine
  • 111 gallons total on board (mains and added tip tanks)
  • Dual G5s, vacuum system removed (G5 HSI still to be fitted)
  • GTX345 (still to be fitted)
  • STEC-30 with Alt hold
  • GNS430W
  • Aera 660 in panel mount
  • JPI-830 engine monitor
  • 3 x USB charging ports in panel (including one from PMA450B audio panel)
I'm feeling like the airplane will be in pretty good shape setup-wise; but, what else should I be doing to make sure it's totally ready? I discussed getting mags overhauled/replaced in advance but my A&P didn't think much of the idea. Alternator maybe? I'll check the age of the battery, might be sensible to head out with a fresh one?

I have emailed my insurance broker to start looking into that. He hasn't replied...so I may be looking for a new one!

Maintenance en route:

I'll probably be doing about 3-400 hours along the way. I'm planning to aim for an oil change, using Aeroshell W100+, at the end of each flight period before I leave the airplane so while it sits it has fresh oil in it. Will need to come up with a plan for an annual at some point along the route, most likely in NZ. Might have to get a passport for my A&P! Spark plugs will need to be gapped and cleaned a few times. I am planning to put all new plugs in before departure, my current ones have a few hundred hours on.

Spares: I plan to take a tube for nose and main, and a couple of spare spark plugs. I can get most anything sent out if needed, and want to keep weight minimal. Anything else? I'll take a few simple tools, enough to do oil change and spark plugs.

Route:

Still pretty much "under development". Current thoughts here:
Sm3pSgb.png

Here's a link to the map, with notes etc under each stop and a couple of alternative options.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=11w3UJeK8XLZmjBqhdeRBSaa3IIs&usp=sharing

Biggest challenge right now seems to be sourcing AVGAS in Kiribati. If anyone has any contacts or ideas..?

Rough plan timing-wise is as follows, 3.5 week flight period by flight period:
  1. Atlantic crossing US to UK (the aircraft's new base)
  2. UK to Thailand
  3. Thailand to Australia
  4. Pacific crossing back to USA, and on to UK to complete the circle.
I plan to have the ferry tank (160 gallon TurtlePac) fitted in Australia, and mail the rear seats back to the US at that point. I'll fill it a bit more each time over several flights to get used to the heavy state, before the big Hawaii - California leg. My luggage will pretty much consist of safety gear, a change of underwear, and a toothbrush.

Training and equipment:

I plan to do a ditching course before I go. In terms of equipment:
  • Quality 4-6 person life raft including equipment package (flares etc etc)
  • 2 good quality life jackets; mine has gear pockets for things like PLB.
  • Survival knife with seat-belt cutter.
  • Small dry bag to pack with some food and water and anything else I might want in event of ditching, kept within reach of pilot seat.
  • Dry-suit for Atlantic crossing section (not planning on it for Pacific..)
  • Garmin InReach for tracking and in-flight communication
  • Tablet with Garmin Pilot
  • Land survival pack for the more remote overland sections, to be shipped back to USA before the Pacific legs.
What am I missing...

Last edited:
Wow. I thought my Alaska trip was going to be the ultimate adventure, then you doubled down on that. So I thought YOUR Alaska trip was the ultimate, but here you go again.

I don't know if anyone has ever done anything similar. At least in a 182.

Can't wait for the trip thread.

I don't know if anyone has ever done anything similar. At least in a 182.

Maybe not on the forum, but at least one 182T has gone round this year already (they stayed way north of the equator though, so not a true round-the-world arguably. Before that, I found ones in 2011, 2007, and 1990. So I'd be number 5 at best, for fixed-gear 182s :)

Doesn't look like you will need a place to stop in Germany when you do your UK to Thailand leg, but if you do, our house is open.

It sounds like you’ve thought this through with your mag o/h comment, but are there other maintenance items you’ll hit in the 300-400 hours that you might want to take care of at home?

Also, what is the longest Atlantic leg and how much of your 111 gallons will you use?

I have always wanted to do this so I have read multiple blogs on it.
A few suggestions from reading the blogs.
1. Unless you need the back seats for something now, install the ferry tank now and use on the Atlantic crossing.
2. Multiple people had avgas shipped in 55 gallon drums to remote locations. If you do so, get a portable electric and a backup manual pump. In many locations you cannot leave any dual behind.
3. Talk to ferry pilots. They can help on the weather planning based on seasonal issues.
4. A few ferry pilots for fee where willing to be guided on select segments.
5. A lot of people installed HF radios. Not sure still required.
6. Satalite phones are useful for remote dispatching.
7. Have fun!

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

...are there other maintenance items you’ll hit in the 300-400 hours that you might want to take care of at home?
Also, what is the longest Atlantic leg and how much of your 111 gallons will you use?

The maintenance question is one of the things I'm looking for input on. I'm not nearly as experienced at owning as many of the people here so would love input on what people might see as being worth taking care of before departure in terms of preventative replacement.

Longest Atlantic leg won't be more than 700nm, which would leave me with about 40 gallons. I could go further north and get shorter legs too.

Not allowed to post actual links yet, but there's a guy en route now from UK to New Zealand in a Eurofox with expanded fuel tanks, which I found at "gb-nz dot com slash tracker," if that makes sense. His biggest challenges seem to be the legs to Australia and from Australia to New Zealand. Some kind of commemoration of RAF pilots' earlier treks.

1. Unless you need the back seats for something now, install the ferry tank now and use on the Atlantic crossing.

I'd prefer to have rear seats available for the flights up to Australia so that friends and family can join along the way with more flexibility, I think.

2. Multiple people had avgas shipped in 55 gallon drums to remote locations. If you do so, get a portable electric and a backup manual pump. In many locations you cannot leave any dual behind.

I have a manual pump from my Alaska/Canada trip, will certainly take it along!

If you haven’t already, talk with the CDC about recommended immunizations for each country. You might need to start getting shots now, as some may be staged a few months apart. Taking any meds along, like antibiotics?

Be sure the US embassies know of your plans. You can sign up for text and email alerts, which might be a good idea.

What am I missing...
With your legs over water/remote areas maybe look at an ADELT and/or flight tracking. Most oil companies require this equipment on certain type helicopters and have seen it work when needed. Maybe get someone to sponsor the equipment? ADELTs weigh about 8lbs installed with a panel indicator and flight tracking less than 2lbs for most installs.

With your legs over water/remote areas maybe look at an ADELT and/or flight tracking. Most oil companies require this equipment on certain type helicopters and have seen it work when needed. Maybe get someone to sponsor the equipment? ADELTs weigh about 8lbs installed with a panel indicator and flight tracking less than 2lbs for most installs.

My plan is to carry a Garmin InReach for tracking, it served me very well on my flight up in to the arctic. As for the ADELT, I think I am probably going to stick with the InReach, and I also have a PLB for pilot and copilot to have on their person at all times. If we don't get out of the airplane in a ditching, we won't care that much about being found; if we do, then we'll have the PLBs and InReach.

If you haven’t already, talk with the CDC about recommended immunizations for each country. You might need to start getting shots now, as some may be staged a few months apart. Taking any meds along, like antibiotics?

Be sure the US embassies know of your plans. You can sign up for text and email alerts, which might be a good idea.

Good call on the medical stuff, hadn't thought of it! I work in Iraq and flew all around Africa a few years back so I'm immunized against almost everything, but some may be expiring. I'll check on it. Not planning to take any medications along, apart from maybe some real basics like Immodium.

I'll let my embassies (UK and NZ) know, maybe; good call!

Will the GNS430 and Aera pick up satellites around the globe or would you need to supplement with something that also picks up other satellite systems (e.g. GLONASS)?

Will the GNS430 and Aera pick up satellites around the globe or would you need to supplement with something that also picks up other satellite systems (e.g. GLONASS)?

They work fine worldwide, luckily!

Wow. I have never seen anyone cross the pacific like that in a single, usually they come back up north. How long will you be good for with full tanks including your ferry tank? How long do you figure that leg from Hawaii to California will be? Good on you for planning this.

Once you leave the US, getting direct flights becomes a problem. Most ATC agencies will expect you to follow airways. You may want to keep that in mind.

I've done a bit of flying over some of the areas you plan to go. Some things to watch out for...

Mayamar: Don't expect to get a reasonable routing in their airspace unless you want to get up into the flight levels. From Thailand to India we ended up going over the water paralleling the coast. We were not allowed to go direct over the water (we tried).

India: They're dicks. Getting clearance to cross took weeks, and we still had to spend a few extra days in Thailand waiting for approval. Customs folks were a pain as well.

Pakistan: Don't recommend spending the night.

Iran/Iraq: I wouldn't plan on overflights there. No explanation necessary. Dubai should be okay. Don't know about Muscat or Bahrain. Kuwait was a pain.

Saudi Arabia: Controllers were great to us, however landing takes a lot of lead time.

Cairo: Security concerns there.

Turkey: I like Trabzon. Nice approach into there along the coast of the Black Sea.

Cyprus: You might want to consider this as a stop. However, you can't fly betwen Cyprus and Turkey. It's a political thing.

As you mention, Avgas will be a problem anywhere you go. You might want to consider using a flight planning service like Jepp, Colt or Uvair to ensure you have what you need when you get there.

In general expect things to be WAY more expensive than flying in the states. Everywhere you go will have landing fees, handling fees, airspace fees, ATC fees, and if you land at night fees for the lights.

Hope you get to do this. I still have hopes of doing similar in my Tango some time after I retire.

BTW... From what I understand, China is starting to warm up to GA. If you're interested, an occasional Purple Boarder is an editor for an aviation magazine there (Anthony Lam, aka FlyingAnthony of stolen bicycle fame). He could probably give you some tips/insight.

There are mechanics in New Zealand who have FAA A+P/IA who could do your annual.

How long will you be good for with full tanks including your ferry tank? How long do you figure that leg from Hawaii to California will be? Good on you for planning this.

If I fill the ferry tank I'll have 270 gallons, good for well over 20 hours. Hawaii to California should be comfortably under that, it's about 2100nm. Will certainly need to take a couple of empty bottles and some snacks though...

There are mechanics in New Zealand who have FAA A+P/IA who could do your annual.

I don't doubt it, and will probably end up using one! I'm just curious to see how my mechanic, who has never left the US, would enjoy a new country! He's a good friend too so it'd be fun to get him down there.

Lots of useful stuff

Thanks Anymouse!

I've flown myself through 44 countries on 6 continents to date, so I definitely recognise what you're saying about cost and hassle. I have a couple of clearance companies I've worked with before, who are more aimed at little planes like mine, who I'll work with again.

Of the places you mention I've only done Egypt and Cyprus before, so that's a lot of great info, thanks!

I would bring enough tools to replace the alternator and possibly a spare alternator. They are like vacuum pumps and can suddenly give up the ghost. They are also easily to replace. Unlike the alternator belt...don’t bother to bring a spare one unless you also have tools to remove the propeller.

Maybe spend some time with your A&P just observing and talking about his work. You can absorb enough by osmosis to be comfortable dealing with many small issues in the field beyond spark plugs and oil changes.

I'd put a diesel engine on it; kinda pricey, but it solves the fueling problem and extends your range.

The only diesel option is from Soloy, is not yet approved, and will cost $240,000.

So, bugger that.

If it was $80k I'd jump at it.

With regard to the challenges changing an alternator belt, consider asking your mechanic to preinstall an additional belt stowed in a slack position for easy placement on an alternator pulley.

Second, with most of your legs, keeping engine oil level satisfactory would not seem a big problem between legs. But what would your oil consumption do to your longest legs and how could it be replenished mid flight?

With regard to the challenges changing an alternator belt, consider asking your mechanic to preinstall an additional belt stowed in a slack position for easy placement on an alternator pulley.

I was thinking the same thing. Saw that a lot in Alaska.

Wow. I have never seen anyone cross the pacific like that in a single, usually they come back up north. How long will you be good for with full tanks including your ferry tank? How long do you figure that leg from Hawaii to California will be? Good on you for planning this.

It's the Amelia Earhart route...I recommend avoiding Nikumaroro (Gardner) island.

I have played around with routings like this before and I'm always curious on the northern routes how one gets across the northern Pacific. Staying out of Russia, the shortest routing from Sapporo is over 1400 nm to AK and that's to an AF field. It's 2150 nm to the next site with avgas.

That is just a long time to be flying.

It's the Amelia Earhart route...I recommend avoiding Nikumaroro (Gardner) island.

I have played around with routings like this before and I'm always curious on the northern routes how one gets across the northern Pacific. Staying out of Russia, the shortest routing from Sapporo is over 1400 nm to AK and that's to an AF field. It's 2150 nm to the next site with avgas.

That is just a long time to be flying.
Some people did that in my club’s A36 a couple years ago. They had some nice tailwinds and made it in about 10 hours.

Second, with most of your legs, keeping engine oil level satisfactory would not seem a big problem between legs. But what would your oil consumption do to your longest legs and how could it be replenished mid flight?

Luckily, my engine is still pretty new. Based on consumption so far, I'd expect to be able to fill before departure on the long legs and still have plenty of oil on landing.

Looks like quite the adventure. If you are serious about people coming along, I'd love to join you. I grew up in Norway, so I could even give you some local knowledge (and language) :)

A bit of progress over the last few weeks.

- Airplane is now in the shop for final instrument upgrades. Have added an IFD440, panel mounted Aera 660, and PMA450B already (in place of 430W, 496, and GMA340). The final work is adding a G5 HSI and GTX345. I'll be returning to the US post-2020 deadline, so will need ADS-B to be allowed back in!
- Route has been narrowed down a little more, and I'm working with my insurance company to organise coverage at renewal in Feb. If anyone has experience of getting coverage for a RTW I'd be interested to hear it!
- Ditching and Sea Survival courses have been booked for March 11/12 in CT. If anyone would like to join, they look pretty good!
- All required gear is now bought, with the exception of handheld radios.
- I visited the company who'll install the ferry tank a couple of weeks back. Engineering and approvals should start this week, and I'll be ordering the tank this week too.

I think I'm committed now!

I think I'm committed now!
If you're not, then you should be! I just noticed on your map of states visited that this entire trip appears to be for the purpose of crossing Hawaii off the list. :)

I hope you'll post a review of the ditching course you are taking. I don't need the course but I can think of worse reasons to go to CT.

How big is your ferry tank? Will you be operating over gross weight for the plane? Will you wire an HF radio into your shiny new intercom?

If you're not, then you should be! I just noticed on your map of states visited that this entire trip appears to be for the purpose of crossing Hawaii off the list. :)

Haha - guilty as charged, that is definitely a bonus..!

How big is your ferry tank? Will you be operating over gross weight for the plane? Will you wire an HF radio into your shiny new intercom?

The ferry tank is 160 gallon, but I shall not need to fill it all the way. Unfortunately the next size down is 100 gallon, and that's not quite big enough for comfort. I'll be operating about 20% over max gross at the worst, which is not bad at all given that I have the PPonk engine upgrade. The more limiting factor is remaining within the rearward CG with the ferry tank.

- Ditching and Sea Survival courses have been booked for March 11/12 in CT. If anyone would like to join, they look pretty good!

Sounds like you're going to Survival Systems. Of all the water survival courses I've taken, they're the best IMNSHO.

Cajun_Flyer has a thread about going through their course.

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/aircraft-ditching-course

If you don't want to peruse the thread, this is her write up...

https://skyalive.blog/2017/03/01/surviving-a-plane-crash/

I would want to keep the following spares:

1) Magneto (a left mag is sufficient since you can use those in either). I would suggest overhauling mags if they have 500 hours or more on them, or at least replacing the nylon gear in them if they're Bendix mags. Those gears get brittle and will go out without warning
2) Starter (SkyTec NL is my favorite on a Lycoming)
3) Alternator
4) Extra alternator belt as suggested above
5) Handheld radio is a good idea
6) Battery pack for your iPad
7) I would keep two PLBs personally

The main reason for 1-4 is that it keeps you able to repair and keep going without waiting around for parts to get to you in who-knows-where.

It does sound like a very fun trip. I would say that I would be much happier doing it in something that burns Jet A just because that vastly simplifies the fuel considerations. However, they certainly can be overcome on a 100LL powerplant. I also agree with the suggestion of getting some agencies to help you with authorizations. A lot of times it may not be necessary but they can grease the skids much easier.

Back