Prop Vert or Horizontal

brien23

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Brien
Cold weather ahead do you store your prop Vert. or Horizontal on the ramp. Also time to change the air in your tires from summer air to winter air.

Cold weather ahead do you store your prop Vert. or Horizontal on the ramp. Also time to change the air in your tires from summer air to winter air.
Wood-horizontal. Metal-wherever it stops.

But I leave it in the airplane, not on the ramp.

I was always told wood props need to be parked horizontal, to prevent moisture content of the wood from settling in the lower blade, affecting overall prop balance. Don't know just how much of a problem that really is for hangared airplanes vs ones parked outside. But, I put 'em horizontal (of course, proper mag checks are in order prior to shut down).

Wood-horizontal. Metal-wherever it stops.

But I leave it in the airplane, not on the ramp.
Propeller outside in the weather water freeze in bottom of a spinner in the Horizontal position, spinner damage.

We kept the club 150 in an open hangar. Left the prop vertical to discourage birds from setting on it. But it always made it inconvenient to use the towbar.

I have a 3 blade, and one blade needs to point down if parked outside. Otherwise water can collect in the hub if it rains and create a terrible unbalance for a free moments after starting.

Propeller outside in the weather water freeze in bottom of a spinner in the Horizontal position, spinner damage.
Another reason for horizontal - it’s less likely to be struck by a wingtip if a plane were to taxi by too closely.

I was always told wood props need to be parked horizontal, to prevent moisture content of the wood from settling in the lower blade, affecting overall prop balance. Don't know just how much of a problem that really is for hangared airplanes vs ones parked outside. But, I put 'em horizontal (of course, proper mag checks are in order prior to shut down).
I've heard this as well, but also heard the newer wood props don't have this issue.

On every airplane I fly, I leave it where it stops, but I want it to stop in the proper position, which on a two-bladed prop is 10:00-4:00. I've hand-propped way too many planes, and this is where you start!

I have a 3 blade, and one blade needs to point down if parked outside. Otherwise water can collect in the hub if it rains and create a terrible unbalance for a free moments after starting.

Experience? My Mac spinner and back plate wouldn't hold water. Not even close. My composite spinner and back plate on the Cub are tightly fitted and I doubt they'd hold anything, either. If one did? Water would be 99% gone as I went through one blade with the start switch and the rest would squirt out in the first revolutions once started. If I'm preheating I use prop and hub covers and if I preheat adequately any snow or ice in the spinner should melt out.

Experience? My Mac spinner and back plate wouldn't hold water. Not even close. My composite spinner and back plate on the Cub are tightly fitted and I doubt they'd hold anything, either. If one did? Water would be 99% gone as I went through one blade with the start switch and the rest would squirt out in the first revolutions once started. If I'm preheating I use prop and hub covers and if I preheat adequately any snow or ice in the spinner should melt out.

I'm glad your doesn't do that. Wasn't referring to every 3 blade set-up in the market. For some this is a factor.

I think I see a business opportunity here. @eman1200 should invent a gadget that turns the prop to the latest recommended position every time someone posts to this thread so the conscientious owner can keep on top of the latest trend.

The past couple of weeks have been what many of you guys would consider winter. Lots of rain. Heavy rain. Temps in the 40s. I re-sealed my wing root fairings and windshield strips because the rain was getting inside the cabin. My prop? No concern whatsoever.

When my engine transitions from running to stopped the oil system is pressurized and oil is everywhere. At shutdown that stops. If I move the prop oil gets displaced from surfaces and isn’t replaced. I never rotate my prop after shutdown. The only time I may rotate my prop manually is to loosen things up right before a cold start. Somebody will pipe in and say that doesn’t help. I say come fly in the cold and I’ll show you how well it works. ;)

The past couple of weeks have been what many of you guys would consider winter. Lots of rain. Heavy rain. Temps in the 40s. I re-sealed my wing root fairings and windshield strips because the rain was getting inside the cabin. My prop? No concern whatsoever.

When my engine transitions from running to stopped the oil system is pressurized and oil is everywhere. At shutdown that stops. If I move the prop oil gets displaced from surfaces and isn’t replaced. I never rotate my prop after shutdown. The only time I may rotate my prop manually is to loosen things up right before a cold start. Somebody will pipe in and say that doesn’t help. I say come fly in the cold and I’ll show you how well it works. ;)
Alaska aircraft a lot of junk planes car tires and rims on planes . People in the lower 48 would not fly let alone want so what you do in Alaska does not surprise me.

Last edited:
Alaska aircraft a lot of junk planes car tires and rims on planes junk people in the lower 48 would not fly
Huh??? Have you been drinking tonight? LOL

Just kidding! :)

Yes. I store my prop either vertical or horizontal.

Huh??? Have you been drinking tonight? LOL

Just kidding! :)
Might have been a little strong but Alaska pilots do things a little different up there and most of what they do does not surprise me.

Do tell. How much actual Alaska experience do you have? You make a baseless statement in response to my comments that moving the prop is unnecessary in rain and snow? Do you find it necessary to move the prop in your climate? Do you park outdoors normally? Was this thread supposed to be a sharing of experiences or is it a platform for you to state what you do and then critcize all others? What's your qualification to imply that what I've done with multiple airplanes for 25 years in harsh weather is wrong?

Last edited:
Vertical of course...how else do you hook the tow strap to a blade to tug the plane around?

Edit: I forgot...THIS IS A %#*^$&@ joke!!!!
Apparently we have to say that now, or some idiot might get his panties in a bunch and report to the FSDO for investigation...

Back