How do I enter this into a GTN 750?

On the 750, you get four in the corners of the map, but you get more if you don't have the remote audio panel and transponder. We have the "local" versions of both, though the GTN can still control the transponder, and then we have four extra fields at the top. That's plenty. :)

Again, no need to program it as radial/distance if you have the latest software rev, you can put in an "along track" waypoint.

Ah. There it is, post #36. Good feature

BTW, here's what it looks like in ForeFlight. @the400kid, all I did was copy and paste what you posted.

View attachment 68140

Thanks, Mark. For this, and for the video.

I've gotten clearances with radial/distance fixes, but not commonly.

I wonder if creating the waypoint like you did in FF, which is standard nomenclature for most FMSs (i.e. PHK/315/15, although some prefer PHK315/15, etc.) and choosing "send to panel", assuming a Flightstream 510, would lead the GTN to "build" the user waypoint automatically. That would be a lot easier than going through the relatively cumbersome process of creating a user waypoint.

I wonder if creating the waypoint like you did in FF, which is standard nomenclature for most FMSs (i.e. PHK/315/15, although some prefer PHK315/15, etc.) and choosing "send to panel", assuming a Flightstream 510, would lead the GTN to "build" the user waypoint automatically. That would be a lot easier than going through the relatively cumbersome process of creating a user waypoint.

Yup. Anything you send through the FlightStream that isn't in the Garmin database automatically gets created as a user waypoint on the GTN.

Superior results through superior technology! Thanks.

Yup. Anything you send through the FlightStream that isn't in the Garmin database automatically gets created as a user waypoint on the GTN.

Sometimes I miss the good old days before gps. Read a map, tune the VOR and set the course. Ready to fly. Lot less complicated than it is now

True. Too bad many pilots are incapable of doing that. Got to have that magenta line or panic ensues.

I know this thread is old, but for anyone looking for the answer, it is actually easy and doable in flight too. Where I fly it is a standard IFR departure to “fly to intercept radial 123 of ABC VOR to WYPNT fix”.

1. In flight plan start typing the fix and radial: ABC123
2. It will tell you it doesn’t recognize it and ask if you want to create a user waypoint, create it.
3. The GTN is smart enough to understand what you are trying to do so it gives you right away the option to create the waypoint as a radial/distance (or radial/radial if you want)
4. Enter the radial and distance (you can guesstimate the distance e.g. 10 or 5 nm) you want from the fix and save.

that’s it. And now next time you type ABC123 in the GTN it will find the fix.

I know this thread is old, but for anyone looking for the answer, it is actually easy and doable in flight too. Where I fly it is a standard IFR departure to “fly to intercept radial 123 of ABC VOR to WYPNT fix”.

1. In flight plan start typing the fix and radial: ABC123
2. It will tell you it doesn’t recognize it and ask if you want to create a user waypoint, create it.
3. The GTN is smart enough to understand what you are trying to do so it gives you right away the option to create the waypoint as a radial/distance (or radial/radial if you want)
4. Enter the radial and distance (you can guesstimate the distance e.g. 10 or 5 nm) you want from the fix and save.

that’s it. And now next time you type ABC123 in the GTN it will find the fix.
Perhaps I'm not understanding. I don't see the need for a user waypoint in your example. Just enter the ABC to WYPNT and fly to intercept it. But I also have never received an instruction to "fly to intercept" without it being "fly heading XXX to intercept." Can you make it more specific with the real names?

It looks like there is a setting in the GTN when you create the user waypoint for it to be Temporary.

Would that mean that once you finish that flight plan, the user waypoint goes away? That would be very handy

It looks like there is a setting in the GTN when you create the user waypoint for it to be Temporary.

Would that mean that once you finish that flight plan, the user waypoint goes away? That would be very handy
It's removed when the power is recycled.

That's what I thought. That is good to know

Back