Garmin Pilot Question

Hang 4

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Hang 4
Is there a way to have it automatically switch between Internet and ADS-b as a source for weather info? I finally found the setting to switch between the two, but it's pretty deep in the menus and it would seem easier to just have it switch to ADS-b if it's connected to bluetooth and receiving ADS-b data and the Garmin stack or Internet if it's connected to wifi?

I flew multiple times with the overlay saying "internet weather not available". At the same time, I could get up to date METAR's. No NEXRAD or other WX overlays on the charts though.

these are notes from an earlier version of 9:

First up is a new way to manage map layers. Garmin offers four different options for radar: Internet (which works on the ground), FIS-B (the ADS-B radar imagery), SXM (SiriusXM composite reflectivity), and SXM Base (the lowest tilt radar reflectivity). One scenario that can lead to unnecessary screen taps is when you switch from one source to another. For example, if you’re looking at internet radar on the ground before flight, then you get in the airplane (where you have a SiriusXM receiver), you’ll see the dreaded “No radar” warning. You have to manually switch from internet to SXM – a small thing, but a nuisance. Now the app automatically detects the weather source and turns on the appropriate layer, so you never have to make the switch manually.

Interesting, I am on the latest version and it doesn't seem to do that. Having said that, what you quoted is exactly what I wanted it to do.

From what I recall they made that feature once, it worked, then the feature broke with subsequent updates.

Yeah, this is the only thing about garmin pilot that really annoys me. We they insist on dimming the screen so it’s useless just because you haven’t switched weather layers yet is beyond me. I get the annoying message to inform you that you don’t have the latest info, but the dimming the rest of the screen to the point it’s useless boggles my mind.

I have GP and it seems to switch automagically.

Flew today with 9.5 on iOS, it switched automatically when connected to ADSB

Do you know what version #?

Whatever the latest version is for iOS; I always update as soon as they're released. 9.5, I believe.

Separate question .... anybody know what the scale is on the vectors on thunderstorms? I can't find that anywhere. iOS 11 and GP 9.5.

Back