91.213 - Equipment List - Static Wicks - C172S

CC268

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
CC268
Studying up on 91.213. Was curious as to whether or not static wicks were required. It's not listed in the Kinds of Operations Equipment List, not required by 91.205, not required by an AD, and I couldn't find anything in the TCDS about it either. However, it does show up on the Equipment List in Section 6 of the POH.

Suffix letters as follows:
R = Required items or equipment for FAA certification (14 CFR 23 or 14
CFR 91).
S = Standard equipment items.
O = Optional equipment items replacing required or standard items.
A = Optional equipment items which are in addition to required or
standard items.

The static wicks are marked 'S' for Standard equipment. However, I can't seem to find anything that states whether or not Standard equipment is required or not? (e.g. can you fly if your missing one static wick?)

Per 91.213, since it's not listed in 91.205, not in the KOL, not specifically listed as "Required" in the POH, and there's no AD requiring its installation, assuming we're talking about a light, non-turbine powered airplane, it seems the A/C would be legal to fly. Just make sure to enter it into the maintenance log.

It would be interesting how one would comply with the "deactivate and placard as INOP" part of the regs though.

Per 91.213, since it's not listed in 91.205, not in the KOL, not specifically listed as "Required" in the POH, and there's no AD requiring its installation, assuming we're talking about a light, non-turbine powered airplane, it seems the A/C would be legal to fly. Just make sure to enter it into the maintenance log.

It would be interesting how one would comply with the "deactivate and placard as INOP" part of the regs though.

Yea but your missing the fact that is listed as a Standard item in the Equipment list. I guess my question is...does standard mean that it is required? Obviously if it is labeled 'R' for Required it is...but what about standard?

Lol I can totally see an examiner asking me about this on my Comm. checkride so I want to make sure I completely understand this.

It is installed standard with every aircraft. It is not required for a particular flight operation.

It is installed standard with every aircraft. It is not required for a particular flight operation.

Ahh okay your second sentence helps clear up my question.

Yea but your missing the fact that is listed as a Standard item in the Equipment list. I guess my question is...does standard mean that it is required? Obviously if it is labeled 'R' for Required it is...but what about standard?

Lol I can totally see an examiner asking me about this on my Comm. checkride so I want to make sure I completely understand this.

The way I see it, "Standard" =/= "Required". Standard just means the plane rolls off the assembly line with the item installed.

You're right that the examiner will almost certainly ask about Airworthiness/INOP equipment on the Comm. checkride. I would refer you to www .flywithhoward.com/resources. Check out the powerpoint named "Understanding Airworthiness". Best explanation of the topic I've seen, and it's straight from a DPE.

mmmmm.... Not so sure about the "every aircraft" claim ..... Many Bonanzas, including our Club's 1966 V35 don't have wicks. Investigating the question on Beechtalk supported what I learned.

mmmmm.... Not so sure about the "every aircraft" claim ..... Many Bonanzas, including our Club's 1966 V35 don't have wicks. Investigating the question on Beechtalk supported what I learned.

He was referring to Equipment List section in the POH (Section 6), specific to the C172S - which lists equipment with a suffix (R, S, O, A).

I think he means standard for that particular model as stated in the POH

Standard for that Cessna model when built. Think mudflaps.

Standard equipment is not required, but if it is removed it needs to be logged and the equipment list updated.

The way I see it, "Standard" =/= "Required". Standard just means the plane rolls off the assembly line with the item installed.

You're right that the examiner will almost certainly ask about Airworthiness/INOP equipment on the Comm. checkride. I would refer you to www .flywithhoward.com/resources. Check out the powerpoint named "Understanding Airworthiness". Best explanation of the topic I've seen, and it's straight from a DPE.

Thanks for the link that explains it so much better.

I recall there being some short ground straps that were braided or woven, and that connect the flaps and elevator to the rest of the Cessna 172 airframe.

What are they officially called? Ground straps? Static wicks? Something else?

I recall there being some short ground straps that were braided or woven, and that connect the flaps and elevator to the rest of the Cessna 172 airframe.

No this isn’t the ground straps

Bonding straps.

Standard equipment is not required, but if it is removed it needs to be logged and the equipment list updated.

I don’t think I have ever seen an entry for a broken static wick.

I don’t think I have ever seen an entry for a broken static wick.
. Broken is not removed. If it was removed there should be an entry. Example would be rear seat, standard equipment if removed needs an updated WB and EQ list.

This is a subject that several of us cfi’s have been discussing. It was brought up because a DPE failed a checkride because one of the visors was taken off due to it being broken. I am confused as many of you are between the required and standard equipment. When reading the equipment list in the POH, it also lists a fuel tester cup as standard equipment...so does that mean if it doesn’t have the same type of fuel tester that came with the plane, it isn’t airworthy?

This is a subject that several of us cfi’s have been discussing. It was brought up because a DPE failed a checkride because one of the visors was taken off due to it being broken. I am confused as many of you are between the required and standard equipment. When reading the equipment list in the POH, it also lists a fuel tester cup as standard equipment...so does that mean if it doesn’t have the same type of fuel tester that came with the plane, it isn’t airworthy?

Should have slapped a Post-It note on the stub of the visor saying inop. Sounds like a b s bust too.

was there a logbook entry?

was there a logbook entry?
See that's where things get stupid. Why should there be a logbook entry for a non-essential piece of equipment? My hand rest broke in my airplane and I fixed it with some Gorilla Glue but I'm not going to bother with a freaking logbook entry for that sort of crap. It's completely non-essential.

"Oh, you put the N number on the panel with some label tape you didn't make a logbook entry for it looks like the airplanes not airworthy." :rolleyes:

The aircraft is not fully equipped as per its production certificate for that model. So it becomes a issue of properly altered condition.
It would be a decision for your IA, Is it a major or minor alteration to remove them.

See that's where things get stupid. Why should there be a logbook entry for a non-essential piece of equipment? My hand rest broke in my airplane and I fixed it with some Gorilla Glue but I'm not going to bother with a freaking logbook entry for that sort of crap. It's completely non-essential.

"Oh, you put the N number on the panel with some label tape you didn't make a logbook entry for it looks like the airplanes not airworthy." :rolleyes:
A very clear explanation of the probable reason for the bust.

A very clear explanation of the probable reason for the bust.

Which is why I think the whole thing A/W can get stupid. None of those things have anything to do with the actual airworthiness (read as safe to fly without incident or flight characteristics) of the airplane. A broken armrest doesn't affect flight nor does a piece of tape on the instrument panel or a missing sun visor as a lot of planes don't have any of those and any plane that had them removed would still be perfectly safe to fly without incident.

Which is why I think the whole thing A/W can get stupid. None of those things have anything to do with the actual airworthiness (read as safe to fly without incident or flight characteristics) of the airplane. A broken armrest doesn't affect flight nor does a piece of tape on the instrument panel or a missing sun visor as a lot of planes don't have any of those and any plane that had them removed would still be perfectly safe to fly without incident.
And the place to make that point is on a check ride when you're specifically supposed to show knowledge of and
compliance with airworthiness regs.

What an applicant does when the aircraft discrepancy is pointed out normally determines whether it's a discontinuance or an UNSAT.

Last edited:

Take a brand new _______________, the aircraft with the life rafts, life vests and life line installed is certified to 25.801 Ditching, does all that equipment have to be board during all operations?

If yes, what if any one item of that equipment is passed due for inspection? Each vest, and raft have an expiration date on them.

Studying up on 91.213. Was curious as to whether or not static wicks were required. It's not listed in the Kinds of Operations Equipment List, not required by 91.205, not required by an AD, and I couldn't find anything in the TCDS about it either. However, it does show up on the Equipment List in Section 6 of the POH.

Suffix letters as follows:
R = Required items or equipment for FAA certification (14 CFR 23 or 14
CFR 91).
S = Standard equipment items.
O = Optional equipment items replacing required or standard items.
A = Optional equipment items which are in addition to required or
standard items.

The static wicks are marked 'S' for Standard equipment. However, I can't seem to find anything that states whether or not Standard equipment is required or not? (e.g. can you fly if your missing one static wick?)

You should be around corp jets, where there are more seats in them than can be legally occupied for takeoff and landings. Some of those seats change depending on whether or not certain equipment is install/removed.

Take a brand new _______________, the aircraft with the life rafts, life vests and life line installed is certified to 25.801 Ditching, does all that equipment have to be board during all operations?

If yes, what if any one item of that equipment is passed due for inspection? Each vest, and raft have an expiration date on them.

I don't fly part 25 aircraft. I don't recall a 172 being part 25 either. That's like applying part 121 regulations to part 91 burger runs.

You'd have to read the specific airplane's documentation.

I don't fly part 25 aircraft. I don't recall a 172 being part 25 either. That's like applying part 121 regulations to part 91 burger runs.

Lotta Part 25 aircraft are operated 91 everyday

probably the most common missing equipment on GA aircraft is the baggage net.

Back