PIREPS on Avemco?

VWGhiaBob

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
VWGhiaBob
For the first time ever, my lowest insurance quote this year was from Avemco. They have always been the highest.

Has anyone had experience, good or bad, with filing a claim with them? Any PIREP's appreciated!

(There's a horror story posted here, but I never know if I can trust these on-line reviews...this one looks real but who knows: https://www.yelp.com/biz/avemco-insurance-company-frederick-3)

Had them for a twin,was reasonable, then I got a single and their quote was the highest. Never had a claim.

FWIW: I had a major claim this year for $43K. Since it was not my fault, it did not impact my rates. My current company was great during the claims process (W. Brown & Associates). I got them through Wings Insurance (A broker). Happy to refer anyone to my broker.

I was using them when I had a bad crash in my Luscombe. They sent someone out to discuss it with me and quickly had a check in my hands. Their customer service was great. I've however left them due to the higher rates they charge. Other than that, nothing but positive things to say about them.

I was using them when I had a bad crash in my Luscombe. They sent someone out to discuss it with me and quickly had a check in my hands. Their customer service was great. I've however left them due to the higher rates they charge. Other than that, nothing but positive things to say about them.
Thanks for that...good to know. You might want to get a quote from them next time around. They are about $600 less for me this time. It seems they have made a decision to be more competitive.

Not sure how you can say that if you read the OP.
Fair enough, maybe they are moving away from the previous risk models. My policy was $450 less with AIG for same coverage, but this was more than a year ago.

overall they suck ,however in some states/locations there rates are lower.they have a huge problem with high rates in Florida . and don't give rate reduction for experience and good loss experience and fortress strong hangars. and they are a direct writer and cant shop around like a broker can.that said all brokers are not going to shop for you as they should.i have had good luck with Conrad at Falcon .

I've used Avemco for about 20 years. They offer the best coverage and have always been competitive with other quotes when I've shopped insurance. Maybe a regional thing. It works for me.

Not my story, but a friend cracked up a Husky landing off-airport. AVEMCO helicoptered the Husky out and paid for the repairs. He has nothing but good things to say about them.

Every other story I've heard has been similar: high premiums (though not in the OP's case) and good claims experience.

We have had them for 20+ years. A few years ago we had a prop strike and needed a tear down. They were outstanding and helped us every step of the way. They did thier best to get us back in the air as soon as possible.

I don't believe AVEMCO offers CSL policies. That's a deal killer for me.

The first year I owned a plane I used Avemco, and they were the lowest rate then.The second year I owned the same plane my rates doubled. I switched to another insurer. Since then, at least for me and my airplane type, they have never been remotely competitive. Shop around. If Avemco is a good deal go for it.

For the first time ever, my lowest insurance quote this year was from Avemco. They have always been the highest.

Has anyone had experience, good or bad, with filing a claim with them? Any PIREP's appreciated!

(There's a horror story posted here, but I never know if I can trust these on-line reviews...this one looks real but who knows: https://www.yelp.com/biz/avemco-insurance-company-frederick-3)

It's been many, many years since I had a claim with them, but way back then they settled quickly and with no hassle.

I have Avemco and knock on wood have not had to file a claim. They are always super friendly to deal with and will give you good discounts for advanced training, wings courses and other things. They offered me the best rate too. So far, so good.

I had Avemco for renters insurance for about 20 years since they were consistently the cheapest. Had one claim of dinging a wingtip that was handled without issue and didn't raise my rates.

When I bought my plane, Avemco was more than double the lowest quote so no experience with them for aircraft coverage.

Our club has had good luck with them, and we've had claims... Prop strike on an Archer, two gear-ups in the R182, and the total loss of our old 182 are the ones that we dealt with when I was on the board of directors. (There was a prop strike on the old 182 before I joined the club too.)

They do use third-party adjusters, and the first one we got wasn't great, but that was over a decade and the two more recent ones have both been great. Both the adjusters and Avemco have communicated well and helped us through the process, and we've always been happy with the settlements we've received.

Really, IMO, price would be the only reason NOT to go with Avemco. If they gave you the best quote, and the coverage limits are the same, go for it.

Having been through the process a few times, that one-star guy isn't telling the whole story. We have always had quotes for the repairs, a signed agreement to that effect, and where necessary a check already cut for a deposit at the shop before work ever started. In the case of the total loss, we had a check for the insured amount in short order (less than a week IIRC).

I'm guessing this guy either tried to get the work started before the agreement was in place, or had a buddy do the work (or did it himself) in a manner that was sketchy.

In fact, Avemco sometimes will write articles in their newsletter about what gets claims denied (here's one: https://www.avemco.com/Articles/ART0006-2011.pdf). They don't even automatically deny if the plane is out of annual or the pilot isn't current, as long as it isn't egregious. IOW, they're quite forgiving.

Avemco paid to have my plane removed from the field where I made a forced landing under the liability policy without any trouble. Always good to deal with. I would have stayed with them for my new plane if they were close, but Falcon was significantly cheaper on the hull this time (didn't have hull last time).

Avemco contracts out with a couple of companies to handle removal and claims (AviationLS). My claims were handled very efficiently.

Been insured for liability only w Avemco for 41 years w no claims (or accidents). 35 years on my 172M, and then 5 on my 1941 Piper J4A. The rates on the 172M were very competitive, but are a little hard to swallow on my 1941 J4A probably because of my age (80) and flying under sport pilot.

My first airplane was insured through Avemco. I had very good experience with them and did have a claim which they handled very well. My claim was related to a magneto gear failure that resulted in engine metal contamination. Most insurance companies would not have covered that, but Avemco paid fully for the engine removal, tear down inspection and cleaning, then reinstallation of the engine. I was very happy with the service. Primary reason I did not stay with Avemco is that while their rates were very competitive for a small single engine like a Cessna 170, as I started moving up to bigger airplanes and twins, Avemco's quotes were downright stupid.

So, based on my experience, if they do give you a reasonable quote, it's worth a shot.

That said, there is a King Air owner right now who is currently having to sue them because they won't settle the claim after the Avemco insured Bonanza destroyed the KA a few months ago on a ramp in NY....

They have a nice hat. That's about the only positive thing I can say based on getting several quotes from them over the years.
Hey WTF. I had Avemco for 5 years and they never gave me a hat!

Come to think of it....AOPA never gave me a hat either. Maybe it's me.....

Golf caps rarely fit me (no jokes about my big head). Avemco is very easy to deal with and they're the only one I could convince to write a Navion policy with a hull over $75K.

Back