CPDL airport?

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
We were told today that our airport (we are seriously in way-out East Podunk) will an FAA data link airport with multiple servers, transceivers/antennae to communicate with overflying high altitude traffic, below-radar traffic on approach, possibly for atc clearances on the ramp. Is this CPDL or some other FAA program? Will this be something light a/c will ever be using? (it would be really nice to have something like this, especially if it was 2-way)

I might be wrong but I expect it's something they're doing as part of the ADS-B changeover. I believe the long term goal was to get rid of radar in most areas and instead rely on ADS-B signals... they'll need a lot of remote relays to accomplish that.

Don't get too excited about CPDLC yet. In my experience in the US it's only used for clearance delivery at the moment. If you were in Europe or Canada it seems to have functionality that closer represents the vision of ADS-C like using it to communicate with the controllers while airborne. For instance you will use the datalink to request a new altitude and the controller will approve or deny the request. Once you get to the new altitude the aircraft will automatically report back to the controller that you have reached the new assigned altitude. ADS-C seems like the first step in getting airplanes on the track to become 1 pilot machines but that's just my opinion.

Well I will be asking questions as it proceeds and report back if I find out anything.
We would love text clearances before departure here, and it would also be nice to be able to cancel airborne or on the ground without having to phone.

We were told today that our airport (we are seriously in way-out East Podunk) will an FAA data link airport with multiple servers, transceivers/antennae to communicate with overflying high altitude traffic, below-radar traffic on approach, possibly for atc clearances on the ramp. Is this CPDL or some other FAA program? Will this be something light a/c will ever be using? (it would be really nice to have something like this, especially if it was 2-way)

What airport? Who told you?

I might be wrong but I expect it's something they're doing as part of the ADS-B changeover. I believe the long term goal was to get rid of radar in most areas and instead rely on ADS-B signals... they'll need a lot of remote relays to accomplish that.

If what I have read is still accurate ADS-B "towers" are actually shared space (rented) on cell towers.. I thought I read somewhere mostly ATT towers.

If what I have read is still accurate ADS-B "towers" are actually shared space (rented) on cell towers.. I thought I read somewhere mostly ATT towers.
that might make sense because cell service in this area is ATT=poor Verizon=spotty but good when you lock on. No other providers so a standalone tower explains all

that might make sense because cell service in this area is ATT=poor Verizon=spotty but good when you lock on. No other providers so a standalone tower explains all

Yeah. My guess is that’s just a good location to put in one of components of the system that will eventually provide CPDL. If and when that leads to the bugsmasher crowd using it, who knows.

I agree with Shawn (NJP_MAN), don't hold your breath. Domestic CPDLC is not only in its infancy in the US, but your aircraft needs special equipment to use it that for now is beyond practical for installation in small aircraft. For those who like this kind of thing, here is a pretty good explanation of how CPDLC works: http://code7700.com/communications_cpdlc.htm

Kevin

Don't get too excited about CPDLC yet. In my experience in the US it's only used for clearance delivery at the moment. If you were in Europe or Canada it seems to have functionality that closer represents the vision of ADS-C like using it to communicate with the controllers while airborne. For instance you will use the datalink to request a new altitude and the controller will approve or deny the request. Once you get to the new altitude the aircraft will automatically report back to the controller that you have reached the new assigned altitude. ADS-C seems like the first step in getting airplanes on the track to become 1 pilot machines but that's just my opinion.

They just started rolling out domestic enroute cpdlc, Indy and Kansas City are both using it. Pretty neat. Should be nationwide by the end of the month, I think.

They just started rolling out domestic enroute cpdlc, Indy and Kansas City are both using it. Pretty neat. Should be nationwide by the end of the month, I think.
Well that's great news. I look forward to not talking on the radio anymore

We use CPDLC in Europe. It’s mostly frequency changes but sometimes they will give altitude changes and routing changes. Looking forward to it expanding here.

How does it work?
If you get a freq change but cannot raise anyone; do you call up the last one or do you text (datalink) them back?
You get a clearance that won't work for some reason..call someone or tap out a text?
Guidelines for use somewhere on the CAA or Euro sites?

CPDLC sets off an aural chime. Check the message on the FMC. Usually something like contact Brussels on 128xxx. You have to hit an Accept button and it sends an acknowledgement back to ATC that you got the message. You can see when they receive your acknowledgment, kinda like a text.

If you can’t accept the clearance you can select Reject or just talk to them. You’re still on frequency anyway. CPDLC just cuts down on the chatter and helps avoid misunderstandings due to language barriers.

J-aid in your Jepps has guidelines.

Best thing since sliced bread.

Nope, not a part of ADS- B. Going to be too pricey for me as long as I have to rent an IP address from ARINC to play!

Paul

Back