Thinking about a Bulldozer and/or Backhoe/Excavator

Was mostly joking anyway, but I'll let you know if I ever fly to PIA.
I know. :) I have always been on the engine side so my pull on the machine side ain’t great. There is a drivetrain manager that has some really cool planes. One is a Stearman and I think he has a warbird of sorts.

While I can't argue with either of you in principle, I can argue with you both on 1) price 2) they're both about 15x too heavy for my trailer.

Even a D4 is going to push the limits of a 20ft deck-over trailer. Did they tell you that this is a-ok ?

Even a D4 is going to push the limits of a 20ft deck-over trailer. Did they tell you that this is a-ok ?

Trailer's rated to 14k lbs, everything I find on the D4 shows it around 11k lbs. Factoring in the empty weight of the trailer at 3k lbs, that's about right. Guy who sold the trailers didn't see a problem with heavy machinery that was within the weight limit.

Hopefully you still consider me a friend...

Especially now I have a trailer big enough that I can bring my heavy equipment to your house to return the favor. ;)

I did have fun that day, and you are still in the friend category as well as the circle of trust. However, the fauna on your property was put there by Satan.

Reactions: Ted
I did have fun that day, and you are still in the friend category as well as the circle of trust. However, the fauna on your property was put there by Satan.

It was a lot of fun, for sure. Next time will be less painful.

The excorcism of the spawn of Satan will continue until all such remnants are destroyed... those spikes have already given me 3 flat tires on my tractors, although putting in a gallon of Slime seems to have solved that problem well enough.

Probably. I didn't brain very well when "multitasking" on a conference call at the end of a longish day. Please accept my most humble apologies. ;)

Conference calls do that. I had a lovely one today that triggered at least a month’s work for two people. Two people who don’t have time to do it.

Trailer's rated to 14k lbs, everything I find on the D4 shows it around 11k lbs. Factoring in the empty weight of the trailer at 3k lbs, that's about right. Guy who sold the trailers didn't see a problem with heavy machinery that was within the weight limit.

Mh, you want to load it to 100% of its rated capacity. Is the 11k with blade ?

Even the little JD450 forestry dozers travel on a 30k rollback.

Conference calls do that. I had a lovely one today that triggered at least a month’s work for two people. Two people who don’t have time to do it.
Conference calls are like police work: hours of boredom punctuated with moments of stark terror.

Mh, you want to load it to 100% of its rated capacity. Is the 11k with blade ?

Even the little JD450 forestry dozers travel on a 30k rollback.

I’ve never had a trailer I didn’t load to it’s rating.

I never had to move my track loader....but if I did it's much cheaper to hire a dude with a rig than it is to buy a trailer and a tractor. :D

Some used 'dozers
catused.cat.com/en/search_results_wide.html?mfc=100&pn=400000&px=9000000&pnr=1&epp=30&sf=price&so=true

These things last awhile, 56,000hours, £600,000.

catused.cat.com/en/search_results_wide.html?mfc=100&pn=400000&px=9000000&pnr=1&epp=30&sf=hours&so=true

Possibly an actual useful search for the original poster.

catused.cat.com/en/Backhoe%20Loaders/search_results_wide.html?et=_1003_9_&mfc=100&pn=5000&px=9000000&rg=_1_&srg=_1_ECA_&srg=_1_MWUS_&srg=_1_NEUS_&srg=_1_NWUS_&srg=_1_SEUS_&srg=_1_SUS_&srg=_1_SWUS_&srg=_1_WCA_&pnr=1&epp=30&sf=price&so=false

Be aware that there are different dozer blades for different purposes. Your talking about land clearing and finish grading, which requires two different kinds of blades. You can do either with either but... Finish grading with a dozer is a serious skill, you really want to use a motor grader for finish grading. You said you were in no hurry so eventually you could get it all done with a dozer with the wrong blade...

I did a lot of dirt work for the Air Force. I spent 6 solid months of 14 hour days 6 days a week on either a D9 or a motor grader along with other projects I've worked on all different sizes of dozers, we only used tracked loader/dozers/thing in the rock quarry - again each has their specialty.

The previously given advice of hiring someone to do it is what I would do even with my prior experience.

So last weekend I bought my first heavy implement that required my new trailer - a 10 ft wide sheepsfoot roller.

Got the oversized permit and everything.

So now I’m looking at other stuff. Reality is a backhoe is what we need next. One thing I’m wondering though, has anyone used the backhoe 3 point attachments? My Allis Chalmers D17 would be a good candidate for that already having a front end loader. But I am curious how the hydraulics for those attachments work as I already have a PTO hydraulic pump for my front end loader on that tractor.

I like new machines and all, I’m just wondering if it doesn’t make sense to expand the uses of a machine I already have that’s in good working order.

Attachments

• 6A1563DF-2E29-4FD8-9561-C8085666C51C.jpeg
    6A1563DF-2E29-4FD8-9561-C8085666C51C.jpeg
    208.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 348DD6AD-B79C-42A7-9D4B-9E2DE7335353.jpeg
    348DD6AD-B79C-42A7-9D4B-9E2DE7335353.jpeg
    303.7 KB · Views: 26
So last weekend I bought my first heavy implement that required my new trailer - a 10 ft wide sheepsfoot roller.

So now I’m looking at other stuff. Reality is a backhoe is what we need next. One thing I’m wondering though, has anyone used the backhoe 3 point attachments? My Allis Chalmers D17 would be a good candidate for that already having a front end loader. But I am curious how the hydraulics for those attachments work as I already have a PTO hydraulic pump for my front end loader on that tractor.

I like new machines and all, I’m just wondering if it doesn’t make sense to expand the uses of a machine I already have that’s in good working order.
congrats. I've got stepdad's 14k trailer in the backyard right now, using a telehandler with forks to get two redwood logs loaded so i can take them to the mill tomorrow. i figure i'll be right at the trailer max and the truck max, but luckily it's only about 30 miles

Reactions: Ted

I bet you'll pay close to the same for the whole TLB as the implement. And at the end of the day the implement won't work as well. IMHO.

I bet you'll pay close to the same for the whole TLB as the implement. And at the end of the day the implement won't work as well. IMHO.

Yeah the more I look at those options the more I think that’s not the way to go.

get this....and sell it when yer finished your job.

s-l1600.jpg

we only used those when we had lot of clay in the soil but we also had the benefit of a mobile soils lab and engineer to prescribe how wet the soil, how many passes and what size compaction equipment to use, vibes on/off and rate, etc, etc

Back