Flying a Stearman

NealRomeoGolf

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
NRG
So I finally got the contacts over here in my local German area to be able to join a flying club. They only have tailwheel aircraft, and I have no tailwheel training. Also, all of their planes are German registered except one......their Stearman. My understanding is I could fly that solo on my PPL and never have to get a German license.

What I need....I think. Tailwheel endorsement. High horsepower endorsement.

I know nothing about Stearmans other than what they look like. I don't know how hard they are to fly. Anyone with experience in a Stearman want to help me to know what I don't know?

Was thinking I could get back to the US on a vacation and do some intensive course on tailwheel flying and get my endorsement plus my high horsepower and then be able to get signed off back here in Germany. Is this a fool's errand? Is flying a Stearman way too much for a new tailwheel pilot?

**You don't even want to know the wet rate on this plane. Gas is expensive here.

I’ve flown the 220 hp version. Buddy I taught to fly bought one. Fun airplane.

These folks at the local airport here can check you out as far as tailwind and HP endorsements.

https://www.waterwings.com/

I was going to get a tail wheel endorsement in a Stearman, but someone put it in the trees a few days before I was scheduled...:(

The Stearman, despite being a "primary trainer", isn't a miracle idiot-proof airplane. Just like anything it has its quirks (mostly related to the weight and height of the fuel tank), and someone should have type-specific training for it.

It isn't "too much for a new tailwheel pilot", though. Very fun airplane.

I know nothing about Stearmans other than what they look like. I don't know how hard they are to fly. Anyone with experience in a Stearman want to help me to know what I don't know?

Was thinking I could get back to the US on a vacation and do some intensive course on tailwheel flying and get my endorsement plus my high horsepower and then be able to get signed off back here in Germany. Is this a fool's errand? Is flying a Stearman way too much for a new tailwheel pilot?
Are you thinking you’ll get checked out to solo it, or just go up for some dual instruction?

You don’t need anything to fly and log it dual.

If you think you might want to get checked out to solo it then, yes, you’ll need the tail wheel endorsement, HP endorsement and you’ll want plenty of tailwheel experience first. I’d recommend Cub time over a Cessna taildragger or other side by side taildragger.

Stearmans are not hard to fly, but they are more unforgiving when you make a mistake than Cubs or Citabrias. Yes, they were primary trainers back in the day, BUT, back then there were a heck of a lot more maintainers around to quickly and cheaply fix things like wing top damage. Also, a lot of primary training was done on grass, which is MUCH more forgiving than pavement.

Everyone is a little different, but I’d say you’d want at least 25 hours in tailwheels and feel confident in your abilities before trying to get checked out in a Stearman.

Fun plane, like a Harley in the sky. Part of your training needs to include round engine operation and care, no big deal just get familiar with some different procedures if you aren't already.

As far as flying it, they are an absolute blast IMO. It's a little different flying from the back, I highly recommend getting checked out by a good instructor. If you let the tail get outside the main tires, you wont forget it haha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

High performance in a fixed pitch 670...not an issue. Handling a Stearman on the ground is an issue...especially on asphalt. I doubt anyone will let you use their Stearman until you know how to fly it. People do learn to fly in them.

Are you thinking you’ll get checked out to solo it, or just go up for some dual instruction?

You don’t need anything to fly and log it dual.

If you think you might want to get checked out to solo it then, yes, you’ll need the tail wheel endorsement, HP endorsement and you’ll want plenty of tailwheel experience first. I’d recommend Cub time over a Cessna taildragger or other side by side taildragger.

Stearmans are not hard to fly, but they are more unforgiving when you make a mistake than Cubs or Citabrias. Yes, they were primary trainers back in the day, BUT, back then there were a heck of a lot more maintainers around to quickly and cheaply fix things like wing top damage. Also, a lot of primary training was done on grass, which is MUCH more forgiving than pavement.

Everyone is a little different, but I’d say you’d want at least 25 hours in tailwheels and feel confident in your abilities before trying to get checked out in a Stearman.

Well I’ve got another 3 years on my assignment here so I’d like to get checked out in it so I have something to fly. I can’t log the dual here since these are German certificated instructors. But if I get my endorsement in the US and then get instruction here to fly it then I should be good to go.

The airport has a grass runway here so that will help. Taxiing would be on asphalt. The secondary airport the club runs is all grass.

I used to fly a 450hp Stearman. Real ***** cat in flight, most benign stall I've ever seen. I did find landing to be tricky because all of my tailwheel time to that point was in supercubs and pawnees where you can see forward on landing. Even with wheel landings, you won't see much of any use in front of you during landing. And as it sits higher than the supercubs I was used to, I really struggled to find the right height to flare to for a wheel landing. Still it never tried to bite me or do anything to unfriendly on landing. Of course I also had about 1000 hours of tailwheel before I got in it so I'm not really qualified to comment on how suited it is for someone with no measurable tailwheel time.

Its a really fun airplane to kick around the countryside in. Pretty good for sight seeing. Not great for seeing traffic or much else in front of you because just about everywhere you look forward of the cockpit, there's a chunk of the plane in the way.

Back in 1977 or so when the ink was barely dry on my Private ticket I did some dual in a Stearman, about evenly split between basic aerobatics and landings. If you have any interest at all in that kind of flying, all I can say is "DO IT!!!"

As a broke college student I couldn't afford to do it enough for them to turn me loose in it, the Stearman rented for the princely sum of $50/hour, when a C-150 went for $15.

Go for it!!!

Flew with a Captain a few months back that had his 16 year old daughter solo in a Curtiss Jenny.

Proud father understandably!

The Stearman is a complete pussycat, AS LONG AS YOU STROKE THE FUR IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION! I bought a Stearman about a year ago, from a friend. We’d flown the airplane together some, so, after a few touch & goes he said “You’re good to go!” But I thought to myself,...uhmm, not so much. Every day for a week I went flying in it and practiced landings on all sizes of runway. Now I’m just okay in it. I’ve flown well over 120 types of airplanes, have in excess of 2000hrs tail wheel time, but the Stearman keeps me humble.
As someone mentioned, in has a 46 gal fuel tank in the top wing - 12ft above the contact patch of the tires. Imagine taxiing a forklift with a grand piano 12ft in the air. If you get a little abusive with the brakes,...face-plant. Another thing to get accustomed to is the lack of (forward) visibility; you simply can’t see anything in front of you within a 20-30 degree arc. The controls are just delightful, all ball-bearing and the oak stick is nearly 3 feet tall, which means although you can fly the airplane with the tips of your fingers, any agressive maneuvering requires really moving the stick (and corresponding rudder pedals). Except during landing, the Stearman flies like a dream, it’ easy to fly, but challenging to fly well. I’ve taken many pilot friends for rides - at least they thought they were pilots, until the Stearman held a mirror to their face! It’s the perfect machine to introduce to a person that’s too big for his britches,...Stearman plus some crosswind = whole new attitude.

I'd go for it. I only have 1 hour in a Stearman, but it was a lot of fun. A tailwheel and HP endorsement won't take much time to bang out when stateside, and so long as you have people you can still fly with for the Stearman-specific training (which it sounds like you do) that's what really matters.

Another thing to get accustomed to is the lack of (forward) visibility; you simply can’t see anything in front of you within a 20-30 degree arc.
Forward visibility is actually pretty good....compared to a Waco.

But a Waco with the same W670 as a PT-17 will outperform a Stearman any day.

Forward visibility is actually pretty good....compared to a Waco.

But a Waco with the same W670 as a PT-17 will outperform a Stearman any day.
True, I recently flew some formation with a Waco, but the Waco pilot said the Stearman flies better in every way. I flew a UPF-7 a few yeras back, and I liked it well enough but it had a locking tailwheel. I’d much prefer a steerable one like on my Stearman. Opinions vary, I know.

True, I recently flew some formation with a Waco, but the Waco pilot said the Stearman flies better in every way. I flew a UPF-7 a few yeras back, and I liked it well enough but it had a locking tailwheel. I’d much prefer a steerable one like on my Stearman. Opinions vary, I know.
What kind of Waco did he fly?

That’s one I’ve never heard before: a Waco pilot saying the Stearman flies better.

My experience is the exact opposite, with the exception of ground handling and legroom. I fly a UBF-2. The F2 compared to a PT-17 is like a Bonanza compared to a Cherokee 6. The Waco handling is very crisp and quick almost sports car like compared to a more truck like feel of the Stearman.

Waco needs 400’ to takeoff. I’m at pattern altitude by the end of the runway. In a 220hp Stearman, I might have to fly 2-3 miles upwind before I get to 1000’ AGL.

Waco canopy is much more enclosed and better airflow. You can fly a open Waco in the winter. You don’t want to do that with a Stearman (you’ll freeze your butt off) Downside is the Waco cockpits are very cramped compared to the Stearman. Stearman is also easier to taxi. With the exception of the UPF-7s, Waco’s have short fuselages and narrow gear.

Stearmans are fun, but flying them has never made me regret buying a Waco.

Well, to be fair, he’s one of my partners in the Stearman, so could be he’s biased. We noted the the UPF-7 has 4 ailerons but my partner says it rolls no faster the the Stearman. Last time I flew the Waco was 6 or 7 years ago, I thought it was okay. Costs alot more than the Boeing but only because they’re less numerous. I’m sure there are models (taper wing) that are fabulous. I’ll fly one if I get the chance. Flew a cabin Waco once, big round steering wheel. And my last favorite airshow pilot (Jimmy Franklin) flew a Waco, so they must be something.

Real ***** cat in flight

Ih now come on – I am talking about a cat. Now that makes me sick right there.
Now – you can’t post anything anymore that forum software doesn’t take as dirty and I am sorry that disgusts me.

But seriously, that cat was the best **** I’ve ever had.

[QUOTE="Fearless Tower, post: 2617464, member: 6927"

In a 220hp Stearman, I might have to fly 2-3 miles upwind before I get to 1000’ AGL.

[/QUOTE]

2-3 miles upwind! That’s a bit much isn’t it? I’ve turned crosswind at the departure end and been at 1000’ AGL mid downwind. Every time. In a 220. On a 2283’ turf runway.

[QUOTE="Fearless Tower, post: 2617464, member: 6927"

In a 220hp Stearman, I might have to fly 2-3 miles upwind before I get to 1000’ AGL.

2-3 miles upwind! That’s a bit much isn’t it? I’ve turned crosswind at the departure end and been at 1000’ AGL mid downwind. Every time. In a 220. On a 2283’ turf runway.[/QUOTE]
Were you solo?

I wasn’t measuring with DME, but with two guys onboard, it seemed to take an eternity.

I’ve flown two PT-17s with W670s and a 450 Stearman. Both PT-17s climbed the same. Like dogs. The 450 climb performance was comparable to the F2, but burned 23 gph to do it vs 12 in the Waco.

I’m trash talking a little bit. Stearmans are fun airplanes, you just have to remember the roles that they filled. In the 1930s, Waco’s were the aviation equivalent of the Packard automobiles. They were marketed for wealthy enthusiasts. Stearmans were like Fords. Mass produced, working man’s airplanes.

Great, I promise you, you are in for a real good time, Tim & Peggy his wife are just the nicest people you could ever meet,we've been good friends with them for quite a few years now.
I'll be back over from the UK to do my next Flight Review with Tim in March.

Got my first 1.3 in the Cub this morning. Winds were a bit sporty but we couldn't get her into a hover. My landings stunk. I will be popeye by the time this is over. Had no idea it would be that much force to hold the stick back. Was also surprised at how much harder it is to put right rudder in than left. I need to work out more. :cool:

I got a ride in the front seat of a Stearman and was impressed with its weight and how you could fly it by listening to the wind in the wires.

When the owner lost his physical, he sold it to a guy who had never flown it before. I volunteered to take him up in it and we flew around the pattern a couple of times. I never heard from him again after that and I think he sold it before getting checked out. It was a good seat of the pants airplane and except for no visibility on the ground, pretty easy to land...

So I finally got the contacts over here in my local German area to be able to join a flying club. They only have tailwheel aircraft, and I have no tailwheel training. Also, all of their planes are German registered except one......their Stearman. My understanding is I could fly that solo on my PPL and never have to get a German license.

**You don't even want to know the wet rate on this plane. Gas is expensive here.

Random 18 year olds used to learn to fly in them.

I wouldn’t overthink it too much.

Biggest concern for me would be what it rents for and fuel costs in Germany where I believe they inflate their fuel prices

Random 18 year olds used to learn to fly in them.

I wouldn’t overthink it too much.

Biggest concern for me would be what it rents for and fuel costs in Germany where I believe they inflate their fuel prices
Cost is definitely an issue. But it would keep me flying. In the meantime I found another club with a Warrior. Much cheaper option but less fun.

Back