Speaking of tough landing strips... Ilushin IL-62 airliner into a farm

ElPaso Pilot

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
ElPaso Pilot
Hadn't seen this one before.

4 engine Ilyushin IL-62 airliner making a creative farm landing.

Low pass is followed by a landing that could have been logged several times.

Nice dirt ingestion with the reverse thrust, too.

2d8qjas.jpg

waik20.jpg

Back story:

https://travelupdate.boardingarea.com/interflug-grass-landing/

The things you are willing to try in an airplane you know isn’t going to be flown again.............. :)

I think I read somewhere that many of the early Russian airliners were actually built to land on unimproved surfaces.. although that was not one of the nicer landings I've seen!

He almost bought the farm with that landing.

That was embarrassing. Should've stayed inside.

‘commemorating Lilienthal’s crash’
did it really say that?

Well, its the town where Lilienthal died. Somehow the static display commemorates the aviation history of the town.

Never seen that video. This event apparently happened 2 weeks before the Berlin Wall came down. The country was in flux at the time. I guess while the government was busy clubbing protesters, someone decided that it was a good time to land an airliner in a 2700ft cow pasture (well, a gliderport anyway).

I thought 2nd bounce was a go around :D

Thanks now I have the East German version of You keep me hangin' on stuck in my head

Set me free why don't cha babe
Get out my life why don't cha babe
'Cause you don't really love me
You just keep me hangin' on…

Was that David Hasslehof singing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I agree with Greg that it was ugly but not life threatening. I'd imagine some of that has to do with the nature of landing something like that on an unimproved strip. I'm thinking about seeing the bounces etc. at 6Y9 or the like (Gaston's is abnormally smooth for grass) and then exaggerating that for a large aircraft.

Back