Japanese motorcycles and the best screwdriver in the world.

alfadog

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
alfadog
I have been messing with Japanese motorcycle since I was 14 or so. I'm 65 years old. Owned at least a dozen of them, still own two. And worked on them extensively. But I did not know until a few years ago that all those screws that I thought were Phillips screws. You know, the ones that hold the side case covers on and are used extensively in other places. The ones that always seem to give you trouble. Well, that's because they are not Phillips screws. They are Japanese Industrial Standard or JIS screws. And a a Phillips screwdriver does not fit them properly. You need to buy JIS screwdrivers. So I did just that and I am in love with this Vessel screwdriver. A fellow mechanic calls it my Miracle screwdriver. It will grab a marginal Phillips screw where a regular Phillips screwdriver will just cam out and chew the head up more. It even has an impact function where you hit it with a hammer and it turns but I don't use that much because you need to have solid backing for that. Would work good on a motorcycle or an engine but not so much on a/c airframe.

https://www.amazon.com/Vessel-Megad...3BGZ9CO/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1539610676

IMG_20181015_092459532.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, there are a few "gotchas", including some "official" manuals written in the US stating that the "cover screws are #2 Phillips". (My day job 40+ years ago, our dealership chain has the Big Four Japanese makes, and Fiat [the rusty ones, not the cute ones] and Honda automobiles.)
My brother still restores old Hondas, from Cubs to 750s.

Wow good to know. The 4 pieces of work I've done on my Wing so far has only involved allen wrenches and pop off fasteners. I will pick up one of these babies

Wow good to know. The 4 pieces of work I've done on my Wing so far has only involved allen wrenches and pop off fasteners. I will pick up one of these babies

Make sure you pick up both the #2 and the #3.

I own an impact driver just for those cross head case screws.

Just about everything on my bike is torqx, don't like it, but it is what it is.

U also can bob the nose off a phillips bit to fit the jis a little better if u dont have the driver.

Dee, you're still around! Hope you guys are still riding and flying and enjoying life!

No, not anymore. Got Pete's kid through med school debt free, so that pretty much ate up any excess $$ at the time. But that was a good thing. Daniel is doing great in his Phy Therapy practice. Right now he's spending a lot of time with one of the Redskins, keeping him healthy and playing. And he gets to go to every game. He loves it. And the interest in flying just really isn't there anymore. Don't want to deal with all the new BS.

Besides, we are having way too much fun riding and traveling. I spend two months every two years doing this.
Keeps me on my toes.

Currently restoring a 78 R45/N. Thought I would have it back together this summer, but waiting on parts from England is frustrating. Maybe next year.

Back