Garmin GNS480 (CNX80)

Steve Humphries

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Stephen Humphries RV6
Gentlemen.
Having acquired this equipment in my RV6, besides the manual and the available pilot -friendly Manual I was hoping someone may have a ‘Training CD” which functions with a MAC for this equipment. Regards, Steve

Rare item if one exists at all.

The book that helped me the most was from www.avionicswest.com

And if you ever get completely stuck, I'd be happy to answer some questions on phone or Skype session. I have over 350 hours behind a CNX-80

Get that book Mike suggested, helped me a lot. I fly behind one, happy to answer any questions you might have. Not nearly as knowledgeable as mike though

There isn’t a trainer for a Mac, there is an exceptionally pedestrian YouTube video walkthrough of all the functions though, and I highly recommend the pilots guide, which I think is the one @AggieMike88 mentioned above.

The PC trainer is still available to download if you can find somewhere to install that. As a heads up, programming the data card it’s JDM used to required a PC. I don’t know if Jeppesen have changed that requirement recently.

here are 2 videos that helps a lot.

In flight -

also, you do not need any fancy Jepp card reader, any normal CF card reader will do to update the database

Gentlemen.
Having acquired this equipment in my RV6, besides the manual and the available pilot -friendly Manual I was hoping someone may have a ‘Training CD” which functions with a MAC for this equipment. Regards, Steve
There is a sim for the 480, but unfortunately it is Windows-only. :(

I can recommend two resources however, that are worth their weight in gold: the GNS480-users group on Yahoo Groups (https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/gns480-users/), and the thin but extremely detailed booklet on the unit from Keith Thomassen, one of the 480 experts on the users group, that goes way beyond what is in the official pilot's guide from Garmin with extremely useful tips and techniques for how to get the most out of the unit when flying IFR. You'll probably have to email Keith to get it, and I'm not sure whether it is still officially in print.

Good luck; considering that it is >15-year-old technology, the 480 is a remarkable unit, and is still supported (albeit to a somewhat limited degree) by Garmin. Until mine fails, I don't have any plans to upgrade to anything newer or fancier.

There is a sim for the 480, but unfortunately it is Windows-only. :(

I can recommend two resources however, that are worth their weight in gold: the GNS480-users group on Yahoo Groups (https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/gns480-users/), and the thin but extremely detailed booklet on the unit from Keith Thomassen, one of the 480 experts on the users group, that goes way beyond what is in the official pilot's guide from Garmin with extremely useful tips and techniques for how to get the most out of the unit when flying IFR. You'll probably have to email Keith to get it, and I'm not sure whether it is still officially in print.

Good luck; considering that it is >15-year-old technology, the 480 is a remarkable unit, and is still supported (albeit to a somewhat limited degree) by Garmin. Until mine fails, I don't have any plans to upgrade to anything newer or fancier.
Gentlemen.

Gentlemen, I am flattered with the help, thanks all very much.

Gentlemen, yes Jeppesen charged me $$$ for the GNS480 download.
Bought both a spare card and download interface which worked well using my sons Windows 7.
Now my RV6 GNS480 data base is updated.
Thanks for all the help.
Steve

Back