Pilawt

Final Approach
Santa Rosita State Park, under the big 'W'
Display Name

Display name:
Pilawt
Screen Shot 2018-10-11 at 3.56.16 PM.png

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Untitled/Boeing-747-212B/5221735/L

Caption says it was taken October 1, 2018. "This replica of an early version of Air Force One as a 747 was barged from Rhode Island to the Washington National Harbor on the Potomac River Oct. 1, 2018. It has been converted into a museum.”

It's N485EV, a charter mule of the now-defunct Evergreen International Airlines. It sat at JFK's Cargo Area C for the last five years or so before being gussied up for this new life.

https://www.airforceoneexperience.com/

Guess I’m a little jaded, having toured real presidential aircraft in Seattle, Dayton and Simi Valley. Hey — how ‘bout we paint our Skyhawk silver, put “N-X-211” on the wings and tail and sell some tickets?

what the heck else are you going to do with all the 747 carcasses lying around?

The barge fees must be more than the cost of the plane itself.

"Air Force One" is the name of any USAF aircraft carrying the POTUS.

That thing is a 747 painted up like a VC-25.

It is like a Navion wearing USAF paint, masquerading as an L-17...just on a much larger scale.

Oh wow, I didn’t realize it was that new. I was just at National Harbor last week, on the 3rd, and saw it from afar. Headed over to try to get a close look but it was getting dark and the Gaylord was between me and it, so I gave up. But ... going back next week so will try to get a closer look.

"This replica of an early version of Air Force One as a 747 was barged from Rhode Island to the Washington National Harbor on the Potomac River Oct. 1, 2018. It has been converted into a museum.”

Except that there has only been one variant of the modern 747 fleet and the tow of them are still in service.

"early version"?...what, did they steal the 80's interior put of a TWA plane and call it good?

Based on the thread title, I thought this was going to be about some crazy diner order: "Yo chef, I need an Adam and Eve on a raft, and an Air Force One on a barge!"

Wow! Talk about a short field landing!

Must have been Capt. Henning at the controls....

-Skip

Wow! Talk about a short field landing!

Must have been Capt. Henning at the controls....

-Skip

Nah. You should've seen how fast the barge was moving. Just like landing the cub on the ambulance. :)

what the heck else are you going to do with all the 747 carcasses lying around?

Turn it into a $350 per night hotel..??

article-0-1DA2347800000578-312_638x471.jpg

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/...otel-suite-visitors-play-pilot-2000-week.html

Ditch the tugs and fire up those turbofans! I'd bet you could get that barge up on plane.

I took this shot of the replica Air Force one on the ramp at Quonset a few weeks ago.

4D05862F-739D-4B98-AEC8-EFD7048BB85D.jpeg

Oh wow, I didn’t realize it was that new. I was just at National Harbor last week, on the 3rd, and saw it from afar. Headed over to try to get a close look but it was getting dark and the Gaylord was between me and it, so I gave up. But ... going back next week so will try to get a closer look.

Here it is last evening. In a fenced off construction zone.

Attachments

• 65BDADAE-5F94-4FAF-B208-2D8C652D9ED5.jpeg
    65BDADAE-5F94-4FAF-B208-2D8C652D9ED5.jpeg
    98 KB · Views: 27
I am staying at the Gaylord right next door and have been looking at it out the window in my room. It looks sad sitting there all by itself in a parking lot with nary a runway in sight.

They say that it opens for tours starting this weekend.

Back