Autopilots and instrument approaches (dumb question)

George Foster

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Bluesideup
Hi, how does one log an approach in both IMC and simulated instrument conditions while using an autopilot?

This is actually a common misconception. You're actually required to maintain a log book of approaches for the auto-pilot. So not only do you have to maintain proficiency by logging approaches, but the auto-pilot is also required to maintain proficiency as well or will need an auto-pilot proficiency check. If the auto-pilot does not perform the required number of approaches, then they cannot log PIC.

This is actually a common misconception. You're actually required to maintain a log book of approaches for the auto-pilot. So not only do you have to maintain proficiency by logging approaches, but the auto-pilot is also required to maintain proficiency as well or will need an auto-pilot proficiency check. If the auto-pilot does not perform the required number of approaches, then they cannot log PIC.

Would you please cite the reference source?

Hi, how does one log an approach in both IMC and simulated instrument conditions while using an autopilot?

It can be equally challenging. Button pushing is skill unto itself.

Interestingly, I’ve found the AP a very poor backup for a screwed up hand flown approach but hand flying is the ONLY backup for a botched AP approach.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Lol, George must be current.

Typical airliner autopilot tries to kill you at least once a trip. It’s favorite go to items are random full down pitch at glideslope capture and saying hello to the traffic on the parallel after botching that LOC intercept. However, let’s not forget everyone’s favorite! Chasing that ghost LOC at 100’ and scaring the crap out holding short aircraft.

Typical airliner autopilot tries to kill you at least once a trip. It’s favorite go to items are random full down pitch at glideslope capture and saying hello to the traffic on the parallel after botching that LOC intercept. However, let’s not forget everyone’s favorite! Chasing that ghost LOC at 100’ and scaring the crap out holding short aircraft.
Never had that issue on the Boeings and Airbus that I flew.

OP is new, so might not get all the POA humor / sarcasm

O the lovely CRJ.
Me: Great vectoring by approach, this intercept is perfect
CRJ: hold my beer!

‘Cuz you fly for a Major and not a regional....
True dat.

“Back in MY day, son, we didn’t have those fancy things like auto pilots and autothrottles. And the engines had these long, flat things called propellers that provided thrust. And they weren’t necessarily attatched to a turbine power plant. And sometimes, there was only ONE of them that provided the thrust. Those were wild and wooly days.”

Sometimes I miss those days.

I flew for a regional and didn’t have problems with the AP either, and I flew all 3 CRJs plus a couple other types.
You were probably flying them when they were a lot newer.

These guys are flying them now.

They were new when we got them! ;) :)
Was this your first type?

1k0UpDC.jpg

You were probably flying them when they were a lot newer.

These guys are flying them now.

Yep! When I was flying them some were getting close to 20 years old and worn out. The MX is only the most basic needed and they fly 6/8 sections a day.

O the lovely CRJ.
Me: Great vectoring by approach, this intercept is perfect
CRJ: hold my beer!

I got an RA from a 900 overshooting 36L while I was on the center in CLT. I happened to look over and in between the clouds all I saw was the belly as they were trying their hardest not to hit us.

I’ve been on that side of the table. Something about that autopilot really really doesn’t like LOC. I learned a trick on the non Next Gens to smoothly flip to Green Needles once the Ghost Needle appeared. If you did it right the autopilot wouldn’t do the “CRJ Wave”.

Never had that issue on the Boeings and Airbus that I flew.

i guess you never flew the ILS30 at MIA, it climbs to the GS in every airplane I have flown in there. US, canadian, french, and brazilan.
by the way, approaches must be logged for catIII autoland. if a catIII has not been done in certain time frame, a functional check must be flown or the catIII has to be MEL'ed.

How about flying an autopilot approach in a AATD simulator?

Yep! When I was flying them some were getting close to 20 years old and worn out. The MX is only the most basic needed and they fly 6/8 sections a day.

I got an RA from a 900 overshooting 36L while I was on the center in CLT. I happened to look over and in between the clouds all I saw was the belly as they were trying their hardest not to hit us.

I’ve been on that side of the table. Something about that autopilot really really doesn’t like LOC. I learned a trick on the non Next Gens to smoothly flip to Green Needles once the Ghost Needle appeared. If you did it right the autopilot wouldn’t do the “CRJ Wave”.

Green Needles??? Ghost Needle???

Green refers to what NAV mode is providing the guidance. Green is standard ILS/LOC.

Yeah, and the Garmin/Cirrus perspective system will switch from magenta to green for ils or loc approaches, but for some reason they couldn't figure out how to make that happen for a VOR approach.

Green Needles??? Ghost Needle???

Green is Ground Based system so ILS, VOR, LOC. Ghost needles is when the FMS has ID the system and is displaying it on the PFD. It’s basically saying “Hey I have the ILS and it’s correct and functioning”. The newer CRJs will automatically switch from FMS to Green Needles when the Ghost Needle aligns on course.

Back