Gaston's Fly-in 2018!

What's the scoop. Is anybody there or still going?
Good thing we dropped out early, I guess. No way we could have flown anyway.

"I ain't seen the sunshine since, I don't know when." Johnny Cash

I think he's saying your washing out NEXT year too.

Hey, so ....like where is anybody?!!! :)

Attachments

• At Gaston's10.13.18.pdf
    40.1 KB · Views: 34
What's the scoop. Is anybody there or still going?
Good thing we dropped out early, I guess. No way we could have flown anyway.

"I ain't seen the sunshine since, I don't know when." Johnny Cash

Yeah, no sh*t! It's been a horrible year for flying. Hope this change isn't permanent....

They actually allowed us to transfer our deposit to Thanksgiving. So that worked out at least
Hmmm...I'm a turkey this year, I just may have to join you for my birthday! We'll see what's going on when the time comes.

I was thinking of you all, my phone popped up a photo looking into the valley from on top of the dam and I though darn missed this year to, hope everyone is having a good time. And now I read this and hmmm, if your having a good time it probably isn't in AR.

Oh, in recognition of the Gaston folks I watched Bryans video, Disaster in the Sky - Episode 2. I also have GDAM, (good decision aeronautical making) It is almost as good as "Coming from together"

I think Bruce showed up.

So just how hard is it to fly in and out of Gastons? I hear a lot of stories but most people love it. I've watched the youtube videos and i have some experience flying off narrow and short runways. Am i crazy to go on in to Gastons?

So just how hard is it to fly in and out of Gastons? I hear a lot of stories but most people love it. I've watched the youtube videos and i have some experience flying off narrow and short runways. Am i crazy to go on in to Gastons?

What is your plane?

Cessna 150 I know her pretty good and I would plan to fly in on a cooler low density altitude day.

I did it in a club 172 when I had about 80 hours. My wife and I both survived. First approach was a go-around, I was WAY high and fast. High enough that I just pretended I was getting a look at the layout. :) The runway is long enough and wide enough and smooth enough (or was at that time) it may as well have been paved.

I’ve got just over 160 hours and some of that on 3,000 ft or shorter runways, trees 80 ft from centerline. I learned to fly in western NC and that was right in the hill country. Never been to Gastons but I'm eager to go.

I know of a guy who did it in a King Air C90.... so a Cessna 150 should do this just fine.

Not crazy at all.

I did it two years ago in our 310 and @Lance F did it in his 414. A 150 should be able to handle it. :)

As long as you don't fly in or out of there with a Cardinal you will live.
True.

And since we’ve also seen the Comanche power slide sponsored by Mike’s Hard Lemonade, anything is do able.

True.

And since we’ve also seen the Comanche power slide sponsored by Mike’s Hard Lemonade, anything is do able.

Allegedly. There's no evidence to indicate that did or did not happen.

Not at all... But it does help to know what you're doing.

The big thing when landing: Do NOT fly over the two big trees near the threshold on final, unless you want to fish your airplane out of the pool at the other end of the runway.

Keep an eye out for all the power lines. It's not a bad idea to find them all on Google Maps or Google Earth beforehand. The ones that are probably the most dangerous (and have killed people) are the ones that are parallel-ish to the runway and go from the ridge just south of Gaston's across the river to the east. Essentially on base if you were to fly the pattern above the valleys... So don't do that. Fly your downwind above the ridge, extend it enough to make a base-to-final turn to follow the pasture on a dogleg final.

Taking off, go straight out. If you're not going to clear the ridge, offset slightly to the right and keep going through the gap in the ridge. Turning to follow the valley on the way out is what puts you in the power lines.

And, unlike the idiot in the Cardinal on YouTube, know the proper short/soft technique for your airplane, and the difference between Vx and Vy. You probably don't need a Vx climb, but you shouldn't be in a cruise climb either. Vy is the way to go until you're above the ridges.

I know of a guy who did it in a King Air C90.... so a Cessna 150 should do this just fine.

Dan Gryder put a DC-3 in between those trees, so my Mooney will fit between them just fine, even if I have to remind myself of that fact every time I go. A 150 will do just fine too. It'll just be a lot different than you're used to, seeing them so close.

Can you link or pm me that video? Want to be sure I see the right idiot.
He pulled the video after people called him on his fake drama bs.

But if you search for cardinal pilots, you're likely to find the guy. Seems to always be having issues

He pulled the video after people called him on his fake drama bs.

But if you search for cardinal pilots, you're likely to find the guy. Seems to always be having issues

And it's always super dangerous when he's in front of girls, so he can save the day.

I remember that video. Whattamaroon. The fake drama was so thick you could slice it with a prop.

Darn, wish I could have seen it. That must be one of the rare cases where something has actually disappeared from the internet. Usually things people want to go away never actually do.

You all need to save comedy gold like that in case some of us miss it.

You all need to save comedy gold like that in case some of us miss it.
Do a search on PoA for “As the Propeller Turns” authored by @SixPapaCharlie

That was some really good stuff. Especially the one where he overdubbed the computer voices.

Back