20 Years of Sitting: C-182

What’s interesting is, this airplane still holds a valid registration until 2021 and the last action date was on 8-22-2018. Whoever owns it cares enough to keep it valid, but apparently doesn’t have the jingle to keep it airworthy.

Probably re-registered it in order to facilitate selling it. I bet it was expired.

Breaking even on this airplane is actually an easy five step process.

1. Weigh airplane
  2. Call local scrap yard and find out how much they're paying per pound.
  3. Do math
  4. Buy it for this much
  5. Haul it to scrapyard and sell it.
Oops, you still don't break even. Lost time and gas money.

If it can be had for a good price. Money can be made selling the engine core.

One of Continental's requirements for a core is that it has to have been running and used in the 12 months prior to a factory engine order. Something else to keep in mind.

One of Continental's requirements for a core is that it has to have been running and used in the 12 months prior to a factory engine order. Something else to keep in mind.
It isn't Continental that you sell the core to. If I was getting ready to major my engine, I'd buy a core (after looking at the logs), take my time rebuilding it, hang it on my airplane, and then sell my core to somebody that wanted it for personal use or to send in to Continental.

Just FYI, how can Continental figure out whether or not an engine has been run in the last 12 months?

Jim

It isn't Continental that you sell the core to. If I was getting ready to major my engine, I'd buy a core (after looking at the logs), take my time rebuilding it, hang it on my airplane, and then sell my core to somebody that wanted it for personal use or to send in to Continental.

Just FYI, how can Continental figure out whether or not an engine has been run in the last 12 months?

Jim
Willing to bet most of the time they can’t tell but this particular one will probably stand out

@BaiLee Ashworth, as a C182 owner here could be a possible case:

$50K: All cylinders need to be replaced + bottom end has corrosion, etc
$2K: Some prop governor work
$1K: Magneto's need work or
$2K: Several hoses will need replacement
$3K: Fuel bladders will most likely need replacement.
$1K: New tires, tubes all around
$1K: Brake work, new battery, new ELT
$2K: Some exhaust work (maybe even more)
$5K: Getting basic NAV/COM working again
$6K: Various AD's over the past years not covered in re-work above
-------
$73K - Just a guess but at least gives you a closer to worse case number to think about. And all of this won't be done in a week. If you or your friend is a A&P , IA you could really lower these numbers a lot, perhaps to less than half. But if you have to send it all out, think 3+ months (minimum).

Another thing about this type of find is if you use a A&P (someone not biased) to come and look at it (which is a good idea) it might cost you $1500 or more just for the estimate and the bad news.

If the engine (bottom end) was miraculously good, I would still think $15K or more in top end work to get decent Continental compressions again, no valve issues, etc.

I also wonder about the prop. These old 2-bladed metal McCauley props seem to last a long time.

Back