First Actual IMC!

CC268

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
CC268
I got my Instrument Rating back in April, but unfortunately never got any actual IMC. I basically vowed to not fly actual IMC until I had done it with an instructor, even though I had my IR.

Well today my buddy @Walboy invited me down to KCGZ to fly in his Cherokee 180 as the weather was looking perfect for some actual IMC. It turned out to be a perfect day for IMC! Logged 1.0 of actual today and man was it a blast. Shot the new RNAV 23 almost down to minimums! Then we shot the RNAV 5 to minimums! We thought we might actually have to shoot the missed.

Anyways, what a blast! Kind of funny I got my first actual IMC and both approaches were almost/at minimums.

Thanks to Walt for his time and for letting me fly his airplane - all for free. Amazing. One of the best aviation experiences to date. I'm hooked!

I hope we didn’t use an auto pilot to those mins. ;)

Wow, you’ve got patience! I flew my first the day after my check ride, 500 miles from home, in the mountains, w/400 ceilings...( I thought this made the day impressive but my instrument instructor was really impressed that I did it while talking to Boston Center).

Wow, you’ve got patience! I flew my first the day after my check ride, 500 miles from home, in the mountains, w/400 ceilings...( I thought this made the day impressive but my instrument instructor was really impressed that I did it while talking to Boston Center).

Guess I’m not quite as good as you! :p
IMC in AZ isn’t always easy to find

Guess I’m not quite as good as you! :p
IMC in AZ isn’t always easy to find
How is it in the winter?
Here in Michigan its looking like after logging 8 hours on instruments and 8 approaches in the past 3 months, im going to have to stop for the next 4 months or so due to cold temps/possible ice. Bummer. It was 0 c at 3000 msl today

How is it in the winter?
Here in Michigan its looking like after logging 8 hours on instruments and 8 approaches in the past 3 months, im going to have to stop for the next 4 months or so due to cold temps/possible ice. Bummer. It was 0 c at 3000 msl today

The problem is we don't get a lot of low IMC days. And when we do it seems there during the week when I'm working :p

MEAs are too high going north - both for performance of my airplane and icing concerns.

Down south is the best bet.

How is it in the winter?
Aww... there's a good chance of finding flyable IMC in the winter in SE Michigan, as long as you can be available to fly any day. Just have to wait for one of those January (or December... or February... or March) thaws when it's above freezing all the way to 4 or 5kft.

Much harder to find in northern New England where the MIAs are typically anywhere from 5400 to 7000... and where if it's above freezing up there, it's usually VLIFR at the terminals!

How come you didn’t have a GoPro to record all of this :)

I got a few very quick pics when we were between layers and had Walt fly for a few seconds. But I didn’t share them here because I didn’t want any grief from anyone lol

I got a few very quick pics when we were between layers and had Walt fly for a few seconds. But I didn’t share them here because I didn’t want any grief from anyone lol

Post those pics! :)

CC268, fly out here to San Diego. Spend a long weekend and I will safety for you while we go hit some actual.

Yea man I need to get out there! That would be awesome. Working on my commercial now so I’m quite busy with that but I gotta get out there one of these days. Only downside is my Cherokee 140 isn’t great for high MEAs but that probably wouldn’t be an issue out there (I haven’t looked at the MEAs though)

Walt's plane has a GTN 750 by the way. I guess my post above made it sound like I was shooting GPS approaches without a GPS lol.

Congrats to you, and welcome to the world of IFR flying! Its good headwork to take an instructor or someone else with you the first time you go into the clouds, as it is a totally new experience and things have to be done correctly. The first time you fly in the clouds solo feels like your first trip around the pattern by yourself ---- exciting, maybe a bit scary, but all the while you know it in your heart that you are capable of flying the airplane by yourself.

My CFII told me this one:

Q. Who is the best instrument pilot in the world?
A. The guy sitting next to you in the right seat.

Enjoy your new rating, and fly safe!

Back