[NA]Mariner question[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I did not know dropping an anchor had these hazards.
What is the source of the smoke & fire?
What is the normal safeguard to prevent entire loss of anchor & chain?
Is some headway required to seat an anchor? (8:22)

Probably a brake fire (just like an airplane!)

Wow.... watching the big chain moving that fast skeered me, and I am sitting safely in my office...

Scary indeed. I wouldn't want to be in the same zip code when the brake lets go.

On small boats with a mostly-rope anchor rode, it's common to tie off the bitter end to the boat somewhere (well reinforced) to keep from losing it. For all-chain, there's so much momentum, its better to just let it go rather than rip the hull apart when it gets to the end. It's also a safety issue to be able to let the whole thing go when you've got to move quickly without enough time to haul anchor. You can cut the rope, but not the chain.

Scary indeed. I wouldn't want to be in the same zip code when the brake lets go.

On small boats with a mostly-rope anchor rode, it's common to tie off the bitter end to the boat somewhere (well reinforced) to keep from losing it. For all-chain, there's so much momentum, its better to just let it go rather than rip the hull apart when it gets to the end. It's also a safety issue to be able to let the whole thing go when you've got to move quickly without enough time to haul anchor. You can cut the rope, but not the chain.

Certainly, I could see how that chain of events could unravel. Certainly, one needs to know the ropes.

They normally secure the end of the chain, too, in an effort to avoid losing an anchor. However, the pins that are on the last link can be taken out in short order if they do need to get underway quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back