Just finish assembling the stratux kit! :-)

MacFlier

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
MacFlier
It was not as easy as described on stratux.me.
Here's what I've encountered:
1) Smartass here thought that buying a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ would be nicer as it is faster. Guess what? The stratux software image is not compatible with the B+ version, just the B version... Had to find someone on the web that recompiled it for B+. Then got past the red light...
2) GPS not working... followed someone's recommendation to go outside, reboot and wait a long time for the fix. It worked and now it can get a fix inside close to the window
3) AHRS (pitch/roll/yaw and baro sensors). It didn't work at all. Found someone that recommended to ssh to the stratux box, enable IC2 via raspi-config utility.

Now it seems to be up to speed! Can't wait to put in the airplane on my x-country that's coming up.

I ran into the same issue. I simply got the 3B instead, and left the 3B+ for another project. Apparently the 3B+ also sucks up a lot more power.

It is not as easy as they describe it because they don’t know what your problems are going to be. I had a very difficult time routing antenna wires inside the box and then closing the lid. There is a sequence that you have to do, loosen the actual antennae, close the lid and then tighten them. At least I did.

Great little box.

I ran into the same issue. I simply got the 3B instead, and left the 3B+ for another project. Apparently the 3B+ also sucks up a lot more power.
Yes, that's what I read too, but didn't want to go thru the hassle of returning the Pi... I'll get it running on my xcountry coming up in 2 weeks and I'll measure how much the battery lasts. I may also buy a cigarette lighter adapter for it just in case.

Just curious....How much do you guys have invested in the kits? $239 buys one pre-built on Amazon. I'm trying to decide which way to go.

Jim

Raspberry Pi needs a good power source. Make sure the adapter is rated for 2 Amps or better. Also, USB cable when used to supply power MUST be capable of delivering 2 Amps to the PI. Not all USB cables will do that. USB cable should specify that it is a power cable.

Geez, at my age, I thought I was done with tinkering with this kind of stuff; I don't even own an airplane any more! But I have to build one of these now.

Crewdog Electronics in Boulder, CO is the company that sells them on Amazon for $239. They did a seminar at Oshkosh and I attended, their complete kit is a complete kit ready to go. You only need to plug in the USB cable and find a place to mount it. I would recommend their kit the the extra $$ for someone who is not tech savvy.

I have built multiple of them without any issues. Some of the assembly depends on which case you select. I use the Summitlink case available on Amazon because of its mounting options.

Regarding the cigarette lighter adapter: These adapters are designed for use as a battery charger and under higher currents will dial back the voltage to less than the Pi likes to run reliably. I have tested quite a few and have not found any that I am comfortable with. The key is to watch the little red LED on the Pi mother board. If the voltage is not up to spec it will blink or go out. To be reliable that light needs to be on all the time. I run a 15,000 mah Anker battery and it puts out plenty of current for a fully loaded Stratux. As an option you could run a much smaller battery and leave the cigarette lighter charger attached to it. That should extend your running time by a lot. Or just carry a spare battery. You will find a lot of this info over on reddit under r/stratux.

I also use 3' extension cables to remote mount the ADS-B antennas enabling them to pick up a good signal and allowing the Stratux and battery to be secured elsewhere.

<Edit> There is not really any technical skill required for a Stratux if you buy the pre-programmed SD card. The rest is just minor assembly and basic hand tools. There is at least one Youtube video on how to do it. On reddit is plenty of help if you have a problem getting it going. Or ask here. Cost for the parts runs about $150 minus the battery which is about $40.

27FjKKJ

Attachments

• stratux1.jpg
    stratux1.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
I built one, but I don't think I will use it because Garmin Pilot doesn't work with it. I am going to re-purpose it for flightaware's tracking feed.

Just curious....How much do you guys have invested in the kits? $239 buys one pre-built on Amazon. I'm trying to decide which way to go.

Jim
I spent $180 total, including case with suction cup and newer B+ Pi. I thought about buying it pre-built but I liked the fun of doing my first Pi project. :)

I have built multiple of them without any issues. Some of the assembly depends on which case you select. I use the Summitlink case available on Amazon because of its mounting options.

Regarding the cigarette lighter adapter: These adapters are designed for use as a battery charger and under higher currents will dial back the voltage to less than the Pi likes to run reliably. I have tested quite a few and have not found any that I am comfortable with. The key is to watch the little red LED on the Pi mother board. If the voltage is not up to spec it will blink or go out. To be reliable that light needs to be on all the time. I run a 15,000 mah Anker battery and it puts out plenty of current for a fully loaded Stratux. As an option you could run a much smaller battery and leave the cigarette lighter charger attached to it. That should extend your running time by a lot. Or just carry a spare battery. You will find a lot of this info over on reddit under r/stratux.

I also use 3' extension cables to remote mount the ADS-B antennas enabling them to pick up a good signal and allowing the Stratux and battery to be secured elsewhere.

<Edit> There is not really any technical skill required for a Stratux if you buy the pre-programmed SD card. The rest is just minor assembly and basic hand tools. There is at least one Youtube video on how to do it. On reddit is plenty of help if you have a problem getting it going. Or ask here. Cost for the parts runs about $150 minus the battery which is about $40.

27FjKKJ
Good points. I think I'll try with a cigarette lighter adapter that puts out 4 amps. That's the one I use on my phone, that allows me to run navigation and charge the phone at the same time in 30 minutes or so.
I also have a spare battery to bring with me. Worst case scenario, I can pair my iPad to the 430 if the plane has it.

Like you said, there's not much technical skill to build the kit. I had to go the extra mile because I didn't buy the B Pi and got the B+ instead, so I had to tinker with the software and configuration of the Pi.

I bought a pre-built from Crewdog. It was worth the little bit of extra money to have it pre-assembled by someone who has built many of them. So far I've been quite happy with it.

^^^^.... and only works with the Foreflight app.

Jim

Jim

Are you talking about a Stratux? Works on just about all EFB's. I use FltPlanGo, works fine. Tried WingX, also worked fine. Even used it when I had the ForeFlight, that was prior AHRS.

Jim

Plus Foreflight only runs on Apple. So for the Android users and those wanting external GPS Stratux is a good option. You can always use the internal GPS on Apple but I like an external GPS properly positioned.

I am sure there is a market if uAvionix is not married to Foreflight. A unit like Scout for $200 in a small form factor without having to run a Raspberry Pi should do well. I could always go to a bluetooth GPS and just live with ADSB-B if necessary. But for now I'll stick with Stratux.

A unit like Scout for $200 in a small form factor without having to run a Raspberry Pi should do well.

It almost happened. The Scout started life as the pingBuddy2, was compatible with a whole bunch of apps and then ForeFlight showed up. Maybe Appareo's exclusivity agreement for the Stratus expired and then FF scrambled around until it found uAvionix?

Whatever the case, being married to FF seems to have added $50 to the price:

https://www.seattleavionics.com/pingBuddy.aspx

You can see what life was like by looking at the original pingBuddy1 ($99):
https://www.flyingmag.com/uavionix-ads-b-solution-weighs-25-ounces

Last edited:
Are you talking about a Stratux? Works on just about all EFB's. I use FltPlanGo, works fine. Tried WingX, also worked fine. Even used it when I had the ForeFlight, that was prior AHRS.

Sorry I wasn't clear, Ron....talking about the Scout. The only thing I'm aware of that a Stratux doesn't support is Garmin Pilot.

Jim

I'm tech savvy but bought the pre-built because I just have too much else going on right now. I made a simple under panel mount with cables for the antennas and it works only I couldn't see the LED's so I mounted a little mirror down there in line of sight. Pretty silly but has a touch of "Lindbergh" to it. I didn't use gum to stick the mirror on though, double-back tape which I don't think they had in 1927...:)

0F7386D7-9105-425E-8EBC-B5C2C403FBC3.jpeg Just an FYI - I have the Scout. It works fine but given some of the newer devices that have come out - I would not buy it again. I would go for one with a battery so you don’t need the power cords on most flights.
The Sentry - also by uAvionix - looks to be interesting. It has a 12 hour battery and a built in GPS.
The matrix is from https://ipadpilotnews.com/2018/08/portable-ads-and-siriusxm-receiver-buyers-guide/

I thought it was a good deal to get adsb, GPS, weather and ahrs.
My CFI tested it yesterday with foreflight and it worked fine. I tested it with fltplan go as well.

After having a Stratus 2 that died on me, I am contemplating building a Stratux vs buying a new Stratus 3. Besides the brand name, will the Stratus 3 give me anything the Stratux won't?

Jim
I thought it would be a fun project, and it was. If that isn’t your thing, then just buy one. There isn’t much money to be saved.

I bought the Amazon pre built Stratux. The only issue I had was that the unit stopped working once on a local flight. I did the internet search and determined that the SD card needed a re-flash. Followed the instructions [there is a YouTube video] and everything is back working. I appears that the SD card issue does crop up occasionally with the Stratux so I carry a spare card with me just in case of another problem. I have mine plugged into a charger and the 172 cigarette lighter and have not had any issues with power. I keep the Stratux battery only as a back up in case of a power issue with the charger. Cigarette lighter charger and cable were purchased at Wal Mart.

I bought one all ready to go with a battery on sale from Seattle Avionics for about $200. I have too many projects already.

IMG_20181013_081345037.jpg

Also, USB cable when used to supply power MUST be capable of delivering 2 Amps to the PI. Not all USB cables will do that.

I have had some success with Anker cables. Their stuff seems OK and it is reasonably priced.

They tell you the size of the wire used in at least some cases.

https://www.anker.com/products/variant/micro-usb-3ft/A7115011
"wide diameter 28 / 21 AWG data and power wires."

We used them at work for a while. I have no other connection to Anker.

My main gripe with the stratux is the fragility of the assembly and antennas. I fly a lot and i know its only a matter of time before i break off an antenna. I use the recommended battery which requires taking it out of the plane after every flight to recharge. I modified a plastic storage container to transport it . However just moving the thing in and out of the case, or the cockpit, requires a delicacy that i am not likely to sustain.

I keep looking for a more robust solution at a reasonable price but one doesnt exist yet.

i tried hard wiring and using remote mounted antenna but for various reasons i could never get that to work.

Stratux is a decent, cost effective device. I just wish someone could make it more durable.

And it has saved me from wake turbulence and at least one near mid-air so it definitely is a huge step up from nothing.

My stratux is powered by a usb cig adapter in the plane. It turns on and off with the master and I don’t have to worry about the battery. But I also have it strapped to the standard type battery pack so if I have an alternator failure I can plug in the battery pack and start it back up.

I went ahead and ordered the parts on Amazon and I'll assemble it when it shows up :) Used to have a Stratus 2, so it'll be nice to get back the features of that, plus more

I switched IPad's, my old one had an internal GPS and the new one does not. Since then I have had issues with my Stratus and reliable GPS signal. Obviously I probably had these issues for a while, but the GPS in the IPAD was helping.

It isn't that it won't get a lock, but it has trouble substaining the lock in the plane. I didn't used to have any issues at all. I was using an external puck for the GPS, and have switched to an internal one. Anyone have any troubleshooting recommendations?

View attachment 66690 Just an FYI - I have the Scout. It works fine but given some of the newer devices that have come out - I would not buy it again. I would go for one with a battery so you don’t need the power cords on most flights.
The Sentry - also by uAvionix - looks to be interesting. It has a 12 hour battery and a built in GPS.
The matrix is from https://ipadpilotnews.com/2018/08/portable-ads-and-siriusxm-receiver-buyers-guide/

I just purchased a Sentry, but haven’t had a chance to fly with it yet. Hopefully in the next few weeks I’ll get a chance to take it up.

I switched IPad's, my old one had an internal GPS and the new one does not. Since then I have had issues with my Stratus and reliable GPS signal. Obviously I probably had these issues for a while, but the GPS in the IPAD was helping.

It isn't that it won't get a lock, but it has trouble substaining the lock in the plane. I didn't used to have any issues at all. I was using an external puck for the GPS, and have switched to an internal one. Anyone have any troubleshooting recommendations?

Mine does take a while to lock, but once it does, it did not lose track of GPS satellites.
The problem I currently have is that it's only using the 1090 antenna (plane-plane) and is not getting a signal on the 978 antenna (tower-plane), so I don't receive weather and metars... :-(

Mine works well. Have it as a back up to a pretty full Garmin suite. USB port or battery power and use WIngx on an extra ipad for full redundancy. Assembled it from Amazon parts and nice to have a fully separate GPS.

My first iPad had the internal gps. Depending on where I had it in the plane it would lose gps lock.
My current iPad is the Air2 with no GPS. I use a BadElf Pro on Bluetooth for gps with no issues.
I have the Stratux on WiFi.

Back