Ground Instructor Certificate Questions

JScarry

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
JScarry
I just passed my Fundamentals of Instruction test and will be taking my AGI test next week.

I have a 1 year old Instrument Knowledge Test. Can I use that to get my IGI certificate or do I need to take the Instrument Ground Instructor test?

If I get my AFI and IGI and want to get a commercial certificate, do I need to take the Commercial Knowledge Test.

I’m guessing the answer to both is no, but thought it would be worth a shot to see if anyone has done it.

At least as it relates to the AGI vs. commercial-airplane, they are separate tests with lots of overlap. The AGI includes questions on things like hot air balloons which obviously is not on the commercial-airplane test.

The AGI is not hard as long as you put moderate effort into a study course.
That said, I did mine about four years back and don’t recall any balloon questions. Things may have changed however.

You need to to take each one.

I just passed my Fundamentals of Instruction test and will be taking my AGI test next week.

I have a 1 year old Instrument Knowledge Test. Can I use that to get my IGI certificate or do I need to take the Instrument Ground Instructor test?

If I get my AFI and IGI and want to get a commercial certificate, do I need to take the Commercial Knowledge Test.

I’m guessing the answer to both is no, but thought it would be worth a shot to see if anyone has done it.

You cannot combine written tests. If the reg says you need a test, you got to take that test.

The only one that is used multiple ways is the FOI, which is used for both the ground and flight instructor certificates. The instrument rating (pilot), instrument rating (instructor), and instrument ground instructor tests are all near identical but considered completely different.

Having taken both the AGI and IGI tests about a month ago, the AGI testbank has some questions about ultralights, hot air balloons, etc. The IGI one has some pertaining to Instrument-Helicopter ops. Doesn't *necessarily* mean you'll get them on your test, but there's a good chance you'll get one or two.

The rest is all overlap.

Just a dumb question, but if a person is a CFI and CFII, is there any advantage to the AGI or IGI?

Just a dumb question, but if a person is a CFI and CFII, is there any advantage to the AGI or IGI?
Well although currency is required it never expires like a CFI does

What Kritchlow said. Also, it would also satisfy one of the eligibility reqs for Gold Seal CFI, though the usefulness of that credential is another discussion entirely.

There are a couple. Ground instructors don't have the same record keeping requirements, so if you sign off with your GI certificate, then that makes things easier.
It's a requirement for the FAA gold seal (if that matters to you).

Back