20 Years of Sitting: C-182

BaiLee Ashworth

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
BaiLee Ashworth
Recently me and a friend of mine went to look at an old 182. Its been sitting a good 15-20 years from what the owner told us. We got to talking and thougt it would be cool to both pitch in and buy it. Neither one of us has done anything like it and have no idea what to do. Before we went into this we wanted some feedback. Anything helps

Attachments

• 02B47DD3-60C8-4E63-9BA5-B34FA9A796BF.jpeg
    02B47DD3-60C8-4E63-9BA5-B34FA9A796BF.jpeg
    318.9 KB · Views: 278
  • 9C7A9330-F478-4BD1-BECA-22CC36D73AA2.jpeg
    9C7A9330-F478-4BD1-BECA-22CC36D73AA2.jpeg
    292.5 KB · Views: 286
Are you wealthy enough that you wouldn't mind dumping big buckets of money into a pile and lighting it on fire?

If you're friend isn't a mechanic working for free, it ain't worth messing with IMHO.

I have flown some barn finds that didn't need more than a wash and new rubber products (hoses, belts). It's not always a bottomless pit. Taking on that kind of project certainly requires risk tolerance and financial strength.

Good luck !

Sounds like a fun project as long as you understand what you're getting into and the price is right.

Everyone has dreams....... that sounds like a nightmare though.....

I would look at it from a financial standpoint: Add up the purchase price and all the costs to get if flying (engine rebuild, new hoses/tires/rubber, avionics/ADSB upgrades and repairs, and whatever else), and see if you can buy a flying 182 for more or less.

I found my 182 in a farmer's field with chickens roosting on the back seat, the wings in a hangar, with a knock in the engine. Paint was the $#!+$ and the instruments were trash. Bought it for $5k, dumped $20k into fixing and painting it. Completely reuphostered it (Airtex is your friend), found a Navy painter that wanted to make a few bucks and used the barn to paint under the watchful eye of another IA (I was 500 miles away and couldn't be there every day), IA found the knock was a loose bearing in the starter adapter, instruments were o'hauled via Fedex box to a reputable instrument shop, painted every loose piece of aluminum, put it all back together, and I own a $50,000 classic 182. But you've gotta learn to work on it yourself with a mechanic at every critical step along the way examining it.

My widow will sell that airplane.

jim182.jpg

Check for corrosion on the cabin skin above the headliner and on the left and right fuselage skins forward of the doors.

Anything helps
To add to the previous comments... unless you or your friend is an A&P/IA, or you have a good friend who is one and will work out a deal... while doable, it could be an adventure and cost that could exceed purchasing another one in flying condition. But even if you have no A&P or contacts, it is worth talking to several mechanics and getting one out there to have a look and work out some costs.

Buy it? It would cost the guy $5k to have it removed from there, tell him you'll move it out for free, even that will probably cost you more than it is worth.

1 post with a few words ends it for me

I wonder how something like this even happens?!?

It’s all about the price. It may be a good deal, or not, just price it accordingly.

After you buy this project,and sink a ton of money into,is this the plane you want to own forever?

If you're buying it cause you want a project... go for it...If you want to fly then spend your money on an airworthy machine... Probably cost about the same in the end...

Why do you want the plane? If it is to fly, you're several months and many $$s away from that. If you want a project...well...you would certainly have one.

Kick the tires light the fires. Hop in and take it for a spin.

How much did he pay you again?

If u can get it cheap and have somewhere to store it, seems like worse case scenario u can part it out. Was it running when parked?

Is he gonna throw in that fine hangar? I'd hate to see where the seller lives or ride in his car. Doesn't seem to take care of things.

Recently me and a friend of mine went to look at an old 182. Its been sitting a good 15-20 years from what the owner told us. We got to talking and thougt it would be cool to both pitch in and buy it. Neither one of us has done anything like it and have no idea what to do. Before we went into this we wanted some feedback. Anything helps

Airplane ownership is a learning experience. Learn on the best maintained example you can find. If you can't afford that you will be shocked to find out what a cheap airplane costs.

Best get an A&P have him/her due an inspection and get a ball park on repairs/AD's...

If I’m seeing that right, there’s no filter element in the air filter. Whatever you do, don’t start that engine until you make sure none of the crap piled up under the plane is in the ductwork, and you’ve got proper filtering in place. If the engines been turned over in that condition, heaven help you.

Good luck.

Is the plane in Georgia? Stored in a humid environment for 15-20 years will mean a few things. Radios and instruments are likely in need of overhaul or replacement. Engine and prop will likely require major overhaul or replacement. The airframe may or may not be corroded and will need to be inspected closely. The interior will probably need replacing. If you’re serious about taking on a restoration project that plane may be a good one, but there’s very little chance that it can be made airworthy without spending a substantial amount of money. Previous advice that it’ll be cheaper to buy an airworthy airplane is absolutely correct, but restoring that one could be fun. If I wanted a nice 182 built to my tastes and was willing to spend $150K or more to get it? I’d consider that plan. And if you go that way you’ll almost certainly be upside down in it from the expense-value perspective. If I just wanted a good value for a flyable airplane? I’d look elsewhere.

It's either a great deal, a horrible crap deal, or something in between. There's absolutely no way to tell from two pictures of an old plane sitting in a hangar. Nobody here knows who you are, what your experience or budget is, or anything else. So yeah, it's like asking, "Hey, I found this house. Should I buy it?"

I found my 182 in a farmer's field with chickens roosting on the back seat, the wings in a hangar, with a knock in the engine. Paint was the $#!+$ and the instruments were trash. Bought it for $5k, dumped $20k into fixing and painting it. Completely reuphostered it (Airtex is your friend), found a Navy painter that wanted to make a few bucks and used the barn to paint under the watchful eye of another IA (I was 500 miles away and couldn't be there every day), IA found the knock was a loose bearing in the starter adapter, instruments were o'hauled via Fedex box to a reputable instrument shop, painted every loose piece of aluminum, put it all back together, and I own a $50,000 classic 182. But you've gotta learn to work on it yourself with a mechanic at every critical step along the way examining it.

My widow will sell that airplane.

View attachment 68066
A most excellent tail number.

If I’m seeing that right, there’s no filter element in the air filter. Whatever you do, don’t start that engine until you make sure none of the crap piled up under the plane is in the ductwork, and you’ve got proper filtering in place. If the engines been turned over in that condition, heaven help you.

A couple of years ago, someone in MD bought a plane that had been sitting. Taxied it around a bit and took off from the shortish strip. Engine didn't make a lot of power and he ended up in the trees, iirc dead. On the teardown they found a big wasps nest in the carburetor :eek: .

What’s interesting is, this airplane still holds a valid registration until 2021 and the last action date was on 8-22-2018. Whoever owns it cares enough to keep it valid, but apparently doesn’t have the jingle to keep it airworthy.

Back