[Geeky Video] Your locks aren't as secure as you thought they were

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
A fascinating video of how you can defeat many common locks, including the one at your bank and Tesla dealership

Good stuff. Should be eye-opening for most folks.

My lock has a back up system. Usually it is 45 caliber, but sometimes (if I am feeling especially mellow) it is only 9mm.

My lock has a back up system. Usually it is 45 caliber, but sometimes (if I am feeling especially mellow) it is only 9mm.

So 9mm is "kinder and gentler" than .45? Hmm. :)

Not in my opinion. 45 is bigger but much slower. Felt recoil isn’t that much different in my opinion.

I'm guessing the recipient isn't going to care much either. :)

"Your locks aren't as secure as you thought they were"

You say that like it's a bad thing?

Neighbors are out of town - my (handicapped) daughter is supposed to be taking care of their dog (food, outside, etc.). They have a push button deadbolt lock on the front door and give her the code. Snot a big deal.

She goes over after they left, and it turns out that someone locked the handset as well and my daughter couldn't get in. She has a total melt down on their front porch - screaming, crying - the whole bit. The wife goes full panic mode - calling the neighbors cell phone, the sister who lives locally, and I don't know who else... Then I pull up in the driveway after work (perfect timing, eh?)

The wife is yelling at me, the daughter is yelling. Geeze, calm the **** down. I walk over, rummage through the wallet for something expendable - Ah-Ha - AARP card - doesn't get more worthless than that. 5 seconds later I'm in the house. Tell the wife, call the neighbors - problem solved.

The handset lock had the "dead latch" just like in the video, but the strike plate was too big, just like in the video.

This **** ain't even hard. But the video did have some nice tips that I had not been aware of - thanks for sharing.

The handset lock had the "dead latch" just like in the video, but the strike plate was too big, just like in the video.

I'v gotten back into several places after being locked out by exploiting this issue. Many many doors are made with strike plates too big or ill located such that the dead latch doesn't engage. Dead bolt good, handset locks not so muhc.

I was sitting at the Sheriff's office last week watching the STAR (what they call the SWAT) team show off their stuff. The guy holds up a device and asks if anybody knows what it is. I say it's a Halligan bar. He says, good we do have some firefighters in the audience. The only difference is that we hit the Halligan bar with the flat side of an ax. He hits it with a massive battering ram type thing.

We actually got quite good at ripping locks out of the door with a device called a K-Tool. THat takes too long for the SWAT guys, they won't even use a key if they have one. We on the otherhand don't want to **** off the property owners too much. It's easier replacing the lock than the door.

Not in my opinion. 45 is bigger but much slower. Felt recoil isn’t that much different in my opinion.

As the T-shirt says, ".45 ACP. When short, fat and slow will do the job."

And I don't have any problem with the recoil on a .45 ACP 1911.

My locks aren't going anywhere.

antm_2106_matthew_v1_vh-a1981bf4.jpg

Depends on what size frame. I love .45 in my Glock 21, not so much in my Kimber UltraCarry. On the 3" barrel guns, I'm much more accurate shooting a 9mm, especially for followup shots. I'm right on target 1st round with the Kimber, but not so good following shots. With the 3" 9mm I have, it's right on target all the way through the magazine. So much so that my wife, watching me at the range, said she'd really hate to be the bad guy on the day I'm carrying the 9.

Depends on what size frame. I love .45 in my Glock 21, not so much in my Kimber UltraCarry. On the 3" barrel guns, I'm much more accurate shooting a 9mm, especially for followup shots. I'm right on target 1st round with the Kimber, but not so good following shots. With the 3" 9mm I have, it's right on target all the way through the magazine. So much so that my wife, watching me at the range, said she'd really hate to be the bad guy on the day I'm carrying the 9.
It really is just a matter of preference. I figure if I really have to use my carry gun I’ll be point shooting at someone close to me. Not worried about accuracy. More interested in stopping power of the round.

Back