ADS B suggestions

k9medic

Line Up and Wait
N Central FL and GTC Bahamas when off work
Display Name

Display name:
ATP-H, CMEL, CSEL, CFI/CFII Airplanes and Helicopters
We just installed a garmin 155xl and now I find out that not only will it not interface with my narco indicator but the -30 encoder that I have won't talk to it either. I still need to work on the ADS-B process too.

Looking for some suggestions from those who might have gone down this road.

Thought 1 - buy a new CDI and an GLD-82 and call it a day with the ADS-B with the GLD-82 providing altitude info to the 155xl as well. Price for both would be around $2800.

Thought 2- buy a new CDI and a Garmin 335 transponder ($2700) or a Stratus ES transponder ($2400) - total price between $3400-3700.

What say the masses? Is the extra $1000 worth it?

Its all going to boil down to whether or not you think its worth a $1k to ditch your transponder. I was happy to get rid of mine, fairly new style KT76A and I think I got $250 for it. It worked but the photocell was bad and the "reply" light was not visible at night.

or a Stratus ES transponder ($2400)

You'd need the ESG, which costs a little more.

Knowing the transponder you have now would help, along with the mission (CONUS only or?). If you transponder is old, I'd lean toward door # 2.

Unfortunately no. According to Uavionix since my plane has factory installed fuel tanks on the tips it won't work. They referred me to the experimental tail beacon :rolleyes:

If you're just looking for ADS-B out, best deal on the market is Garmin GTX-335 on sale for $2995 until December 31st. You're local dealer can probably get you a lower price.

Includes internal WAAS position source and WAAS GPS antenna. The Transponder is single unit, plug compatible with GTX-345 if you want "in" in the the future, and is a 240 watt transmitter. Skybeacon is 22 watts and you have to leave the nav lights on permanently to work.

What solution adds value to your plane? Pretend you had a stack of money to buy a reasonable plane and your shopping.

You find 3 identical planes;
* one with old transponder and a Skybeacon
* one with ESG Transponder
* the other with Garmin GTX-335.

Which one would you pick? This question excludes Garmin haters. :7)

http://garmin.blogs.com/promotions/...ional-bundle-save-hundreds-.html#.W7-NJy-ZO_I

You're probably upgrading the GPS at some point, and the GTX-335 helps. The WAAS antenna can be connected to the GPS instead of the transponder as Garmin allows the 335 position source to be turned off in favor of another WAAS source is available.

Last edited:
What do you want out of your ADS-B install? If you want in and out 1090, the Lynx NGT9000 does a lot, including data export to portable EFB devices, and a great touchscreen. I was going to install a Garmin GTX345, but happy now I went with the Lynx.

Unfortunately no. According to Uavionix since my plane has factory installed fuel tanks on the tips it won't work. They referred me to the experimental tail beacon :rolleyes:

The tail beacon will eventually be STC'd too. I think they are also working on a unit that doesn't incorporate a light/strobe.

Save your money. You will still be able to fly after 2020 without a ads-b.

Not as limited as most folks think. Depends on where you are based and where you want to go.

My transponder is a Narco AT150 and it works well but as we all know, that could change in a minute.

I go to the Bahamas regularly.
I had the AT150 and went went with the 335.

What do you want out of your ADS-B install? If you want in and out 1090, the Lynx NGT9000 does a lot, including data export to portable EFB devices, and a great touchscreen. I was going to install a Garmin GTX345, but happy now I went with the Lynx.

Hard to find pricing but it appears the Lynx is significantly more expensive than the 345.

I'm leaning towards removing our kt76 transponder and installing a Garmin 345 and a Flightstream 210.

Hard to find pricing but it appears the Lynx is significantly more expensive than the 345.

I'm leaning towards removing our kt76 transponder and installing a Garmin 345 and a Flightstream 210.

The Lynx is currently $5400 and includes the wifi module (for exporting FIS-B and traffic to your portable devices) and ATAS, for audio traffic alerting. I got mine installed for $1600 flat with a local dealer, who also happens to be one of my area mechanics.

More expensive, maybe, but not significantly. If they added AHRS, it would kill the 345 in sales, I suspect.

that depends on which EFB you are using. my panel and is too much invested in Garmin, i thought about NGT.. its just not going to work

More expensive, maybe, but not significantly. If they added AHRS, it would kill the 345 in sales, I suspect.

Depends on your EFB of choice. If you add the FS210, you get birectional flight plans and airway dissections with foreflight. It's looking more and more like the sensible choice for me.

As for getting a Lynx installed for a flat $1600. Also, I've never gotten any install with a flat rate. Too much stuff behind the panel to be sure what it will take.

It was a good deal but unlikely most places. Aircraft spruce says their minimal installed price is $7500 and I think that includes the current $350 rebate.

Back