Best Airplane Movie by Genre?

Horror: Snakes on a plane
Comedy: Snakes on a plane ... because damn man really...

but seriously, as a kid two of my favorites were The Blue Max and Tora! Tora! Tora!

Last edited:
Action - Top Gun (only cause I can't think of another)
Comedy - Air America
Drama - Flight (Denzel Washington, though the inverted scene was a little over the top)
Horror Tommy Knockers
Fantasy/SciFi The Great Waldo Pepper
War (worth it's own) Flight of the Intruder
Non-fiction ??

Non-fiction ??

Rescue Dawn (true story about Dieter Dengler)

I noticed BAT21 is on Amazon right now. I don't like Hackman or Glover but who ever flew that O-2 did a great job

While the Sci-Fi story line clearly puts it in the fantasy category, Final Countdown is one of the most accurate portrayals of the US Navy at sea that I’ve seen.

You'll have to remind me of the particulars. All I remember is Katherine Ross and the F-14 almost hitting the water.

Honorable mention in drama: 1951's No Highway in the Sky. How can you not like a movie starring Jimmy Stewart and Marlene Dietrich that revolves around metal fatigue in airliners. I watched it a year or so ago and enjoyed it thoroughly.

The book is even better.

Rescue Dawn (true story about Dieter Dengler)

I noticed BAT21 is on Amazon right now. I don't like Hackman or Glover but who ever flew that O-2 did a great job

I remember watching BAT21 with my high-school girlfriend - almost 30 years ago. Her dad worked on O-2s in-country. Probably worth a rewatch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Mercy Mission: The Rescue of Flight 771

Mercy Mission: The Rescue of Flight 771

"These planes are totally ragged out, why, I bet they have 500 hours on them if they have a minute." (paraphrased 7:46)

Last edited:
Anyone else seen "Porco Rosso" by Hayao Miyazaki?

I mean, *all* of Miyazaki's movies have some sort of flying theme to them ("Castle in the Sky", "Nausikaa", "The Wind Rises", etc.), and this one is not his best, but it is actually about a pilot... who is cursed and is a pig. Literally. So fantasy I guess. :)

Frankly I don't remember much from the movie, except that it has the most moving depiction of "where pilots go when they die" that I think I've ever seen.

Almost forgot -- For the "Fantasy" category ... Planes!

View attachment 68029

This one is great if you're watching with a three year old. There are enough adult jokes to make it tolerable. My grandson didn't understand why I found Kennedy Tower funny or the removal of the spray gear.

Anyone else seen "Porco Rosso" by Hayao Miyazaki?

I mean, *all* of Miyazaki's movies have some sort of flying theme to them ("Castle in the Sky", "Nausikaa", "The Wind Rises", etc.), and this one is not his best, but it is actually about a pilot... who is cursed and is a pig. Literally. So fantasy I guess. :)

Frankly I don't remember much from the movie, except that it has the most moving depiction of "where pilots go when they die" that I think I've ever seen.

Guess I forgot the "animated" category. Thanks for the reminder (and of course Planes above). Apropos of nothing, I don't like animated movies (including anime) so perhaps that explains the omission.

Back