Best airplane-based movie?

Action - Goldfinger? LOL
Comedy - Need I say it?
Drama
Horror
Fantasy/SciFi
War (worth it's own)
Non-fiction

Comedy: It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (First runner-up: Airplane)
War: Twelve O'Clock High
Nonfiction: Spirit of St. Louis (Honorable Mention: One Six Right)
Drama: Island in The Sky
Horror: The Aviator (Di Caprio). Seriously, what Scorsese did to the flying scenes was a horror. In his interview in the Special Features on the DVD, he admitted that he didn't know anything about aviation before making this film. No kidding. Before, during, or after. :rolleyes:
Fantasy/Allegory: The Right Stuff

Last edited:
Screw all of you's guys..... Top Gun. End of story. :rockon:

Now lock this thread down!:skeptical:

Action - Waldo Pepper
Comedy - Airplane.
Drama - The High and the Mighty.
Horror -
Fantasy/Sci-Fi - Always
War - The Battle of Britain or 12-O'Clock High
Non-Fiction - The Right Stuff

Last edited:
Action - second Waldo Pepper
Comedy - Those Magnificent Men...
War - Blue Max

Mostly like these three for the photography and the use of real airplanes in most of the scenes...

Drama - Strategic Air Command, The Great Santini, Airport
Comedy - Airplane

Hard to beat 12 O’clock High as a war movie, but Command Decision is a close second. Air Force is pretty good, too.

No better airplane comedy than Airplane.

Fantasy? Any episode of Airplane Repo.....

Comedy: as much as I love Airplane, don't forget...
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

Action - second Waldo Pepper
Comedy - Those Magnificent Men...
War - Blue Max

Mostly like these three for the photography and the use of real airplanes in most of the scenes...

Strategic Air Command and The Battle of Britain both have outstanding flight scenes with the real aircraft. And some models too.

Love me some Strategic Air Command.

Also love me some Top Gun. (Yes really. I'm an 80s kid. Sue me)

Battle of Britain is right up there.

Strategic Air Command and The Battle of Britain both have outstanding flight scenes with the real aircraft. And some models too.

SAC had some good flying scenes, and General Stewart is my favorite actor, but the storyline wasn’t that great.

Always
Flyboys
Memphis Belle
High Road to China

Drama: “A Gathering of Eagles”

Comedy - surely there is nothing other than Airplane.

Airplane
Waldo Pepper
Dr Strangelove
Flyboys
Right Stuff

Action - Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo (yeah I could have put this under War or Non-Fiction, but I stand it up here against the rest).
Comedy - Airplane is probably my #1, but picking one not chosen before: Dr. Strangelove or How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Drama - The original Arthur Hailey book based Airport
Horror - The Crowded Sky
Fantasy/SciFi - A Guy Named Joe (or if you must the remake Always).
War - This is more of a Cold War movie than a War movie but: Strategic Air Command. If I have to pick one that specifically happened during a war: Bridge at Toko-Ri
Non-fiction - One Six Right

Action - Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo (yeah I could have put this under War or Non-Fiction, but I stand it up here against the rest).
Comedy - Airplane is probably my #1, but picking one not chosen before: Dr. Strangelove or How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Drama - The original Arthur Hailey book based Airport
Horror - The Crowded Sky
Fantasy/SciFi - A Guy Named Joe (or if you must the remake Always).
War - This is more of a Cold War movie than a War movie but: Strategic Air Command. If I have to pick one that specifically happened during a war: Bridge at Toko-Ri
Non-fiction - One Six Right

30 Seconds Over Tokyo is an amazing story (and the book is more amazing than the movie) but I wasn't too impressed with Van Johnson. Spencer Tracy got star billing, but his part as Jimmy Dolittle was really pretty minor.

Honorable mention in drama: 1951's No Highway in the Sky. How can you not like a movie starring Jimmy Stewart and Marlene Dietrich that revolves around metal fatigue in airliners. I watched it a year or so ago and enjoyed it thoroughly.

Honorable mention in drama: 1951's No Highway in the Sky. How can you not like a movie starring Jimmy Stewart and Marlene Dietrich that revolves around metal fatigue in airliners. I watched it a year or so ago and enjoyed it thoroughly.
Eerily prophetic, too. The Comet I entered service in 1952, and the disastrous metal fatigue accidents were just a couple of years later.

Eerily prophetic, too. The Comet I entered service in 1952, and the disastrous metal fatigue accidents were just a couple of years later.

I know. When I saw it, I thought it was loosely based on the Comet but then found out that it predated it. I think the book dated back to 1948!

Back