Can your Basic Med privileges be revoked?

NoHeat

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
I understand that the FAA can revoke a pilot’s medical certificate. But can it also revoke a pilot’s Basic Med privileges?

I’m just curious, after reading another thread about a medical cert that was revoked.

Hmm, well, I knew that the FAA can take a pilot certificate away. That cert is one requirement to fly.

But my question was about the other requirement to fly: one’s Basic Med status, in lieu of a medical certificate. Does the FAA have a way to revoke Basic Med status, for a pilot, without acting on the pilot certificate?

They basically just need to issue a letter saying the pilot is no longer eligible to use Basic Med in lieu of a 3rd class (would typically be because a recurring SI is needed for the pilot's medical condition).

They basically just need to issue a letter saying the pilot is no longer eligible to use Basic Med in lieu of a 3rd class (would typically be because a recurring SI is needed for the pilot's medical condition).

It would not be because of a recurring SI. Special issuances are not part of basicmed.

It would be very unusual to get such a letter. Basically the FAA would have to positively know that you incurred one of the Big 3 medical conditions and then have a reason to suspect you were not following the rules and self grounding. Even then it would be more of a cease and disest than a revocation of your medical. It would probably include a reminder that having one of the three conditions requires you to stop flying and renew a third class with SI for that condition.

I'm confused again on the SI and Basic Med. I thought once you were issued an SI you could switch to basic med even if you were on meds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm, well, I knew that the FAA can take a pilot certificate away. That cert is one requirement to fly.

But my question was about the other requirement to fly: one’s Basic Med status, in lieu of a medical certificate. Does the FAA have a way to revoke Basic Med status, for a pilot, without acting on the pilot certificate?
BasicMed is not an FAA medical certificate, so there is nothing to revoke. As others, the FAA might send you something saying you don't qualify, or take action against your pilot certificate, or start a civil penalty action against you, or perhaps others.

BasicMed is not an FAA medical certificate, so there is nothing to revoke. As others, the FAA might send you something saying you don't qualify, or take action against your pilot certificate, or start a civil penalty action against you, or perhaps others.

They don't have to go that far. 68.11 says the FAA can act on reports from the NDR or the safety hotline (which essentially means the FAA is free to make up any bogus allegation they care to) and demand additional information to determine if further operation under basic med is allowed.

This is correct. 14 CFR §68.11 allows the FAA to ask for additional information which may be used to take certificate action (amend, modify, suspend, or revoke) under 49 U.S.C. 44709(b) against any certificate that requires action in the interest of aviation safety.

In practice, the most likely scenario of a certificate revocation would be an airman materially falsifying his 8700-2, failing to disclose medical conditions to the state licensed physician. Also, An NDR hit may result in the FAA asking for more information that could result in disqualification for BasicMed under §68.9(a)(1)(iv) until a one time medical certificate with special issuance is successfully obtained.

If the FAA discovered you had a
I'm confused again on the SI and Basic Med. I thought once you were issued an SI you could switch to basic med even if you were on meds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Until your SI condition changes or another condition arises.

Read the list of one-time SI conditions in the BasicMed regulations. If a traditional SI condition isn't on the list, it isn't required for BasicMed. If you have a qualifying condition and got the required one-time SI one time? You're good. It's that simple.

Until your SI condition changes or another condition arises.

Incorrect. There are no SIs on Basicmed, so a "change" or another condition only has an impact if it's one of the Big 3 categories (Mental, Neurological, Cardiac). For example, if you get an SI for apnea and it changes, you don't do anything different. If you had a heart attack, got your SI and were on Basicmed, then had another heart attack...then you self ground and go back to the 3rd class/SI route. Otherwise your medical health is between you and your doctor.

Back