@edfred and @steingar where you been?

This one, which is still up, is not poking fun at a politicians but instead is insulting to those who support him:
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...e-friday-joke-day.12125/page-117#post-2609296
Some people are just easily insulted by anything. Can’t please everybody.

Honestly, and I’m staying neutral on this because I don’t care one way or the other, but how could someone honestly be insulted by that meme? To them I say, grow some thicker skin...geesh!

This one, which is still up, is not poking fun at a politicians but instead is insulting to those who support him:
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...e-friday-joke-day.12125/page-117#post-2609296

And scroll to the end of the page; where the mods stepped in. Typically they would also provide some private messages (not sure done in this case, since again, i am not a mod here). And you will see Cap't J. reversed the joke also. So both were left up.
I think I have explained enough about mods....

Tim

But if we can't joke about a political side because it's not respectful then why do we allow jokes about blonds and jokes about Irishmen or any number of other stereotypical groups?
When I lived in the UP there were Finnlander jokes and polish jokes. In Texas, Aggie jokes and Okie jokes. I guess the only way to tell these types of joke is for them to be about a "non specific dumb person". As in "a non specific dumb person goes into a bar". I'm half German, half Hungarian. I don't ever recall any jokes about my heritage although I'm sure there are some. I don't like it though when I'm made fun of because of my beliefs though.

Honestly, and I’m staying neutral on this because I don’t care one way or the other, but how could someone honestly be insulted by that meme? To them I say, grow some thicker skin...geesh!
I guess I'm thin skinned then. I don't see anything funny about insulting someone's intelligence to their (virtual) face.

The reality is that the majority of our members don't speak out about things that make them uncomfortable. They're generally the quiet members and when they leave, they leave quietly. Most importantly, they take all of their valued and useful knowledge and membership with them as they go.

There are select few members that are the loud ones. They complain about anything and everything, they make inappropriate comments and only serve to hurt the signal-to-noise ratio that we have here. When moderators come down on them they make a big scene because they think the world revolves around them and they should be the ones that decide what rules apply. When they leave, it upsets a few members that really liked them, but overall the quality and camaraderie of those left grows.

More importantly, they're no longer able to push out the quieter contributors. PoA is a big place, it doesn't serve just a few loud mouths.

Last edited:
Honestly, and I’m staying neutral on this because I don’t care one way or the other, but how could someone honestly be insulted by that meme?

I think he was trying to link to the joke directly below the meme.

I thought they were called 'jokes'.
In my own opinion, jokes are funniest when poking fun at yourself. They are less funny when they are used to attack other people. That said, the MC is more lenient in the joke thread than we are on the main forum. This has been explained to those who report posts in the joke thread for being political. On the other hand, we don't condone using the joke thread to argue about politics. Also, jokes that are abusive will not be tolerated. This is a fine line that we try to tread, and not everyone will be happy. The same goes for all moderation.

Some of the KY jokes really pizz me off.

So much that I almost quit bangin my cousin.......

ummm.....

over the head.......

with my banjo.....

We used to tell Kentuckian jokes as kids in Indiana. Never made sense to me.

Until I actually met a few Kentuckians.

;)

I think I’ll have a scotch and toast the moderators who have a thankless job.

Cheers

I think I’ll have a scotch and toast the moderators who have a thankless job.

Cheers
I can deal with that.

Cheers to the moderators, who have a thankless job.

I'm sort of, a little bit sorry that I often give you a hard time. You deserve better.

(Any excuse to have a Scotch).

Reactions: Ted
In my own opinion, jokes are funniest when poking fun at yourself. They are less funny when they are used to attack other people. That said, the MC is more lenient in the joke thread than we are on the main forum. This has been explained to those who report posts in the joke thread for being political. On the other hand, we don't condone using the joke thread to argue about politics. Also, jokes that are abusive will not be tolerated. This is a fine line that we try to tread, and not everyone will be happy. The same goes for all moderation.
Thanks for your work in a thankless job. If people alternate making jokes about each side, how can you tell if they are telling jokes or arguing?

The reality is that the majority of our members don't speak out about things that make them uncomfortable. They're generally the quiet members and when they leave, they leave quietly. Most importantly, they bring all of their valued and useful knowledge and membership with them as they go.

They TAKE all of their valued and useful knowledge. If they were joining the group, they would BRING the knowledge.

The words are not interchangeable.

Thanks for your work in a thankless job. If people alternate making jokes about each side, how can you tell if they are telling jokes or arguing?
When someone posts something that is obviously not a joke, it is arguing. That is what happened in the exchange you are probably referring to.

As are the two 'rebuttal' responses to it.

And scroll to the end of the page; where the mods stepped in. Typically they would also provide some private messages (not sure done in this case, since again, i am not a mod here). And you will see Cap't J. reversed the joke also. So both were left up.
I think I have explained enough about mods....

Tim

I meant to mention that. Shoulda.

My apologies for the "rebuttal". The original joke wasn't very good and I was attempting to show that with the "reversal"- the reversed "joke" is just as bad. I could have used other means to convey that. I certainly can understand why people believe it was a political debate, but that wasn't my intent.

My apologies for the "rebuttal". The original joke wasn't very good and I was attempting to show that with the "reversal"- the reversed "joke" is just as bad. I could have used other means to convey that.
Well, I thought both versions were kinda lame and obvious.
And your method was perfectly appropriate.

Many do not like it when the shoe is on the other foot....

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

My apologies for the "rebuttal". The original joke wasn't very good and I was attempting to show that with the "reversal"- the reversed "joke" is just as bad. I could have used other means to convey that. I certainly can understand why people believe it was a political debate, but that wasn't my intent.
I thought the rebuttal was just as funny as the original, which demonstrates that a joke is not necessarily cruel or judgmental. It is just a joke regardless of the "victims", which can be interchangeable.

For instance,
Two football players go into the restroom and pee. (can I say pee?) When they leave, the one from "your school" washes his hands. The one from "my school" doesn't. The football player from "your school" says "hey, don't the teach you guys to wash your hands after you pee?" The player from "my school" replies "No, at 'my school' they teach us not to pee on our hands".

You can substitute any two teams you want and the joke is just as funny.

I thought the rebuttal was just as funny as the original, which demonstrates that a joke is not necessarily cruel or judgmental. It is just a joke regardless of the "victims", which can be interchangeable.

For instance,
Two football players go into the restroom and pee. (can I say pee?) When they leave, the one from "your school" washes his hands. The one from "my school" doesn't. The football player from "your school" says "hey, don't the teach you guys to wash your hands after you pee?" The player from "my school" replies "No, at 'my school' they teach us not to pee on our hands".

You can substitute any two teams you want and the joke is just as funny.

I always used marines for the hand washers....

As the son of a career Marine officer with Wings of Gold, thank you for pointing out that sailors need to be taught how to clean up after themselves . . . . .

--Hank
who went to eight schools in six states and one foreign country before college
[apologies to Nauga!]

They TAKE all of their valued and useful knowledge. If they were joining the group, they would BRING the knowledge.

The words are not interchangeable.
I was between two thoughts when I wrote the sentence. Edited for your viewing pleasure ;).

When I lived in the UP there were Finnlander jokes and polish jokes. In Texas, Aggie jokes and Okie jokes. I guess the only way to tell these types of joke is for them to be about a "non specific dumb person". As in "a non specific dumb person goes into a bar". I'm half German, half Hungarian. I don't ever recall any jokes about my heritage although I'm sure there are some. I don't like it though when I'm made fun of because of my beliefs though.
Hungarian? Are you kidding me? My wife's family is Hungarian and there are a million jokes. Many of the punchlines start out "first you steal a ..."

And here I thought Marines on a Navy ship were put there solely because sheep would be too obvious.........

I told edfred that there's a thread here lamenting his absense and his response was:

"Unless they have t*ts (real or fake, doesn't matter) I don't care if I'm missed over there. lol

I thought they were called 'jokes'.

Yeah, with my Catholic upbringing, morphed into a "Church" hater, let me post a bunch of jokes about priest buttf***ing little boys and we'll see how well that goes over. I have plenty of them. I find them funny, surely no one else would be offended, right?

There are a few here who like to push every button. You sometimes, MSCard all the time. He's driven even bigger a holes away. And quite honestly, it often seems like the 13 year-olds have taken over this place.

Last edited:
And if you are looking for most of the scoundrels, come to a fly in and say “hey” in person. Doc Bruce has got one this weekend (!). Bryan with a “y”I think does one in July. Ed has got one in Labor Day (needs more cabins!).

And quite honestly, it often seems like the 13 year-olds have taken over this place.
Well, I will agree that the board has changed from what it was when I joined back in 2010. A lot of us just like to have fun on here. Some threads are serious and others are just for kicks and giggles as you know. No harm done either way, unless someone gets their undies twisted, which seems to happen more than it ever used too.

Maybe I’m different than most folks, but you can pretty much say anything you want to me and I won’t think twice about it. Hard to make it in the real world if your personality is the type that gets offended if someone looks at you cross-eyed.

Last edited:
Maybe I’m different than most folks, but you can pretty much say anything you want to me and I won’t think twice about it. Hard to make it in the real world if your personality is the type that gets offended if someone looks at you cross-eyed.
I like to think I'm pretty thick-skinned but I don't believe that POA should be an 'anything goes' forum because of that. While I also can give as good as I get I'm perfectly capable of exercising restraint, and generally manage to do so here. Not sure why some have so much trouble with it. If one wants a free-for-all and can't seem to make it work here, maybe someplace else would suit their needs rather than railing about how unfair it is here.

Nauga,
and the posts he never posts

I like to think I'm pretty thick-skinned but I don't believe that POA should be an 'anything goes' forum because of that. While I also can give as good as I get I'm perfectly capable of exercising restraint, and generally manage to do so here. Not sure why some have so much trouble with it. If one wants a free-for-all and can't seem to make it work here, maybe someplace else would suit their needs rather than railing about how unfair it is here.

Nauga,
and the posts he never posts
I agree. I rarely ever engage in any thread or post that may violate the RoC as I try to play in a civil manner around here. There’s times where I get a wild hair up my you know what and go on a tear, but it’s few and far between. I’ve always been one to respect the beliefs of others and if I know that something in particular is offensive to someone than I’ll steer clear of said subject, but it’s hard to walk on eggshells all the time, hoping that you don’t offend anyone.

With only 24,647 members how can there be any difference in opinions?
Weird eh?

On a serious note, there is one common interest that brings us all together and that’s our love for aviation. We may bite each other’s heads off every now and then, but at the end of the day, we all share a little commonality.

I told edfred that there's a thread here lamenting his absense and his response was:

"Unless they have t*ts (real or fake, doesn't matter) I don't care if I'm missed over there. lol”

And quite honestly, it often seems like the 13 year-olds have taken over this place.

If I’m reading this right, edfred’s only interest here is boobs on 13 year olds. Tell him I miss him. And that mine are spectacular.

Back