Worst Beer Thread

Anything brewed by Shiner, especially the Shiner Smokehaus variety from a few years back, which tasted like bad beer filtered through a BBQ pit full of ashes.

When I was in college in the 1980s, Shiner was on the same shelf as Lucky Lager, Falstaff, and Pearl. It was cheap, bad beer. Somehow the marketing machine made it popular, but I swear the beer is the very same.

Bud Light.

Simply craptastic.

We have a saying here in Milwaukee: "It goes in Miller, it comes out Bud."

It's actually true here. If you drink a Miller and take a leak, it goes through the sewage plant and gets dumped in Lake Michigan, where it flows through the Chicago River or Cal Sag Channel into the Des Plaines river, to the Illinois river, and into the Mississippi River about 25 miles north of St. Louis, where Anheuser-Busch picks it up and makes it into Bud! :rofl:

Korea, 1978, there was OB and some other brand I can't remember. We used to joke that OB was invented by a woman gynecologist. Nasty stuff both. OB is still around but much improved I believe. The other one I think is gone.
I live in craft beer heaven so I don't really have to give much thought to bad beer.

Yup, OB beer. ‘73-74 Osan, and I don’t recall the other Korean beer either. Took 2-3 OBs to assimilate to it, so I could drink more of it. :)

Hamms and Olympia sold on base. And....SoJu, Korean moonshine lol.

Last edited:
E72AA0D4-6538-4E05-9D0B-32BDEACA74E4.jpeg

When I was up in Minnesota last month getting my SES, the locals convinced me to try a Schmidt’s. I think it’s owned by some huge brewery these days anyway, but I wasn’t a fan, and I’ll tolerate just about anything. Fortunately a pint was just a buck, so at least the price was right!

The champagne of beers? Say it ain't so!

(Actually, most people in Milwaukee don't drink the stuff either. MGD all the way, if you're going with Miller.)

See, I'm opposite of that. It's not my first choice, but I'll take Miller High Life over MGD any day of the week.

For the most part I don't like highly hopped, thick, syrupy craft beers. I like lighter (in color) Pilsners, preferably German. I despise IPA's.

Korea, 1978, there was OB and some other brand I can't remember. We used to joke that OB was invented by a woman gynecologist. Nasty stuff both. OB is still around but much improved I believe. The other one I think is gone.
I live in craft beer heaven so I don't really have to give much thought to bad beer.

When I was there in 1983-84, it was OB & Crown. Now they also have Hite.

Genny Cream Ale

Oh yeah, Genny screamers, remember them well. We also had a saying, if you couldn’t afford beer, you bought Iron City. And if you couldn’t afford Iron City, you bought Rolling Rock.

Genny Cream Ale is not horrid. Natural Ice though is terrible. Maybe just bad college memories, or I've been spoiled drinking local San Diego brews, but the idea of going to a party and slamming Natural Ice makes me sick just thinking about (granted, most of the Natural Ice I drank also had dirty ping pong balls floating in it and was near room temperature)...

Now, as far as "real beer" is concerned, I just can't stomach Stone's Ruination Double IPA.. my friend loves it.. but to me a beer should not be an ordeal, or struggle to get through. And the Ruination is a project to me.. so hard pass there!

Oh yeah, Genny screamers, remember them well. We also had a saying, if you couldn’t afford beer, you bought Iron City. And if you couldn’t afford Iron City, you bought Rolling Rock.

CRAP! Rolling Rock! I completely blotted that from my memory.
Thanks soooo much for turning over that turd of a memory.

Sometimes I say "The only bad beer is an empty beer."

Thank you all for pointing out how tragically wrong that is ;)

Wurst and beer? Yes, please!

LCnhrny.jpg

When I was there in 1983-84, it was OB & Crown. Now they also have Hite.
Yep... OB & Crown. I preferred OB, couldn't stand Crown. Weekends were made for Silvac. :) '82-'83, HHC DISCOM 2ID at Camp Casey.

Back when I used to drink beer, the bars in Kent, Ohio, served "Schmidts" by the pitcher. It was the most bitter beer I've ever had. It makes me cringe to remember it more than forty years later.

1FAD7BD0-7CC4-4E78-B1F0-CED10B44B0E2.png

Leinenkugels Berryweiss. As the men of the square table would say, “ No fruiting the beer!” Reminds me of cough syrup.

I'm well familiar with OB & Crown. Never could figure out which was worse. In the late '60's in Vietnam anyone remember Ba Moui Ba (33)? Learned real quick do NOT hold bottle up to the light! Spent the tour trying to figure out which was worse, 33 or PBR. Trying to remember what the name of that beer in the PI.

Oh they still exist. It's just that most breweries are local with only few national brands. Many of the local breweries sell through their captive bars (there is a system of pre-paid discounts and operating capital loans that locks bars and restaurants into long-term beverage contracts). So unless you happen to walk into a neighborhood bar in what used to be West Berlin, you are unlikely to encounter Schultheiss.

I remember seeing the billboards in West Germany, not West Berlin. However, I haven't seen one since (and I've been to Germany a number of times over the past decades, Berlin once). No loss whatsoever.

People be hatin' on Stella Artois, but that was my fallback at the pub last night as they did not currently have another pilsner on tap. It's really not that bad. But if your taste is for beer so thick that you could practically eat it with a spoon, I see why you wouldn't like it. I like most pilsners except for Urquell. I really do not like Urquell.

I'm well familiar with OB & Crown. Never could figure out which was worse. In the late '60's in Vietnam anyone remember Ba Moui Ba (33)? Learned real quick do NOT hold bottle up to the light! Spent the tour trying to figure out which was worse, 33 or PBR. Trying to remember what the name of that beer in the PI.

I'm not old enough to have been there the first time, but Ba Ba Ba (333) is a current offering. You find mostly 333, Saigon and Tiger beer in Ho Chi Minh City. Mid country, around Danang, Biere LaRue is common. They drink a lot of Heineken throughout the country. My personal favorite is Tiger. But, 333 works for me in a pinch.

Natty. My first boss said, "Natty Light is the only beer that gets worse as you continue to drink it." I'm inclined to agree with him.

... Trying to remember what the name of that beer in the PI.
As noted above, San Miguel. The hand-painted bottles contained the stuff that tried to kill you the next day or 3 ...

Natty. My first boss said, "Natty Light is the only beer that gets worse as you continue to drink it." I'm inclined to agree with him.
Natty has a variety called "Natty Daddy" that's 8% abv.

A buddy of mine got some and couldn't say enough good things about it. I figured the only good thing about it is that you can get drunk faster and not have to taste it as long.

No - I did not imbibe. Natty Light is bad enough as it is, I don't need to try the concentrate.

Shafers...... Lucky grocery store used to have one in a yellow can. It just said Beer on it. That was better than Shafers.

Has anyone else participated in the Schaefer Olympics?

Back