RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
Where ya been hiding?

After the last ban, Michael said he wasn't coming back, and hasn't. As for Ed, he comes and goes as he pleases.

Amazing to me that grown men can act like such children when they get their pee-pee spanked.
It's amazing to me that some people think they need to spank a grown man's pee-pee because they disagree with their opinion. Quite a few people have left because of what they consider over-moderation. I got a warning and had my post deleted for obliquely mentioning something funny about Bill Clinton recently, yet I hear all sorts of nasty Trump put-downs with no repercussions.

You better get IBTL now.

It's amazing to me that some people think they need to spank a grown man's pee-pee because they disagree with their opinion. Quite a few people have left because of what they consider over-moderation. I got a warning and had my post deleted for obliquely mentioning something funny about Bill Clinton recently, yet I hear all sorts of nasty Trump put-downs with no repercussions.

You better get IBTL now.
It goes both ways. Conservatives complain that jokes of XXX are allowed but never notice when they are removed. Liberals complain when jokes about YYY are removed.
Not a mod, on POA but I have moderated forums, and it is a thankless job where both sides ***** and complain... the reality is both sides jokes and points get removed and locked, however neither side notices...

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

I tend to self-reprimand, making sure I stay inside the lines.

There are some people who just can't control themselves. We lost a handful of people when SZ was shut down and I don't miss them at all. I've been taken to the woodshed a few times. Most trips were warranted, a few I didn't think so but I didn't argue since the mods tend to be incredibly lenient for the most part. A couple of years ago a mischievous monkey hacked my account and got me spanked, but I took it like a man.

I do miss a handful of the people mentioned here though. Steingar and I disagreed on quite a bit, but I still enjoyed hearing what he had to say. Captain was just funny as hell; man I miss him. I didn't realize DP was gone. We agreed on absolutely nothing but I suspect that he was probably right 10% of the time, and it's about the same with JOhnH. ;) I'm embarrassed to say that I don't realize when most people walk off.

I see some of Henning's posts on fb every now and then. He's one of those people who contributed quite a bit here, and every now and then some of it would be true. The thing is, you just never knew what was and what wasn't.

This is by far one of the best forums out there. Family-friendly, in a PG-13 sort of way. Welcoming. Informative. And did I mention free?

About the only thing we're lacking is a store where one might acquire a PoA tshirt and coffee mug.

Point is, if anyone wants to get all butthurt over how an *aviation* board is being moderated for political posts, that’s fine - but I’m still going to call it out.

“But but but but but Billy did the same thing! Waaaa! Waaaaaaaaaa!”

It goes both ways. Conservatives complain that jokes of XXX are allowed but never notice when they are removed. Liberals complain when jokes about YYY are removed.
Not a mod, on POA but I have moderated forums, and it is a thankless job where both sides ***** and complain... the reality is both sides jokes and points get removed and locked, however neither side notices...

I heard a story about a Cleveland Cavalier recently who, before he was on the Cavs, thought LeBron always got all the calls. Then after he joined the team thought LeBron never got the calls.

You better get IBTL now.

Especially if you're going to be discussing warnings and bans, which is prohibited per the RoC:

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/help/RoC/

RoC said:
  • Bans and warnings, actual or suspected, shall not be discussed on the forums. Any inquiries or comments regarding bans are to be sent in private messages or via email. A moderator may choose to publicly inform the participants of a forum about bans and warnings if this is in the interest of the forum.

Moderation is always a balance that is challenging to get right. You'll always get told you're doing it wrong no matter what you do, and it's worth noting that not all of the MC members have identical views on moderation. We lost a lot of members (people who I'd really like to still have around these parts) because of a lack of moderation. We've lost some to overmoderation, too, but fewer on the whole. The ones who we've lost to overmoderation are mostly people who complained a lot anyway and then got upset because they thought the rules should only apply to other people. I have to laugh about some of the people (actually most of them) who've decided to leave after that, but I won't give specific examples. I also have to laugh about the people who say the MC is "out to get them." I can't think of a single example when that's been the case, largely evidenced by the fact that those people are still here to post and complain. Do I have people I'd like to see gone? Yep, you bet. Just as I bet most of you have, too.

The fact that both political sides hate us for our political moderation seems to indicate we must be moderating pretty evenly. And come on people, the Spin Zone has been gone for YEARS now. This isn't a secret. It was also unanimously voted on by the MC, which did (and still does) consist of people who favor both sides of the aisle. Want to talk politics? There are lots of places to do so. PoA is not one of them.

What we have here is ultimately a great community, one that is closer to family than anything else. At this point I have friends from PoA who are people I've known for over a decade. Many of us are watching eachother not only progress through aviation, but start our families, build our lives, and are there for eachother. Most of my best friends are people from here, folks who I know I can count on (which is more than can be said for anyone I share blood relations with), and vice versa.

I heard a story about a Cleveland Cavalier recently who, before he was on the Cavs, thought LeBron always got all the calls. Then after he joined the team thought LeBron never got the calls.

Ron Luciano, former MLB Umpire, commented in one of his books about a play so close that "Only God and every fan in the stadium could see which way it went".

Especially if you're going to be discussing warnings and bans, which is prohibited per the RoC:

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/help/RoC/

Moderation is always a balance that is challenging to get right. You'll always get told you're doing it wrong no matter what you do, and it's worth noting that not all of the MC members have identical views on moderation. We lost a lot of members (people who I'd really like to still have around these parts) because of a lack of moderation. We've lost some to overmoderation, too, but fewer on the whole. The ones who we've lost to overmoderation are mostly people who complained a lot anyway and then got upset because they thought the rules should only apply to other people. I have to laugh about some of the people (actually most of them) who've decided to leave after that, but I won't give specific examples. I also have to laugh about the people who say the MC is "out to get them." I can't think of a single example when that's been the case, largely evidenced by the fact that those people are still here to post and complain. Do I have people I'd like to see gone? Yep, you bet. Just as I bet most of you have, too.

The fact that both political sides hate us for our political moderation seems to indicate we must be moderating pretty evenly. And come on people, the Spin Zone has been gone for YEARS now. This isn't a secret. It was also unanimously voted on by the MC, which did (and still does) consist of people who favor both sides of the aisle. Want to talk politics? There are lots of places to do so. PoA is not one of them.

What we have here is ultimately a great community, one that is closer to family than anything else. At this point I have friends from PoA who are people I've known for over a decade. Many of us are watching eachother not only progress through aviation, but start our families, build our lives, and are there for eachother. Most of my best friends are people from here, folks who I know I can count on (which is more than can be said for anyone I share blood relations with), and vice versa.

So you are giving a warning about bans and banning talk about warnings.
That is incredibly meta..

he's done it several times before, but he usually gives his long winded opinion on what we're not supposed to give opinions on, then locks the thread so no one else can give their opinion.

When you look at the RoC, at their core the idea is to keep the community positive. There is nothing positive that comes from the members talking publicly about bans and warnings.

Since the MC members are the ones handing out those, we do think it makes sense to be transparent about why. Note that we don't call out individuals when we do so. Note, we've never given people bans or suspensions for criticizing the work we do. Otherwise a number of people would be permabanned from here. Ultimately that is more in line with what we are discussing when we talk about bans and warnings.

I've made no secret that I think forums should be run as dictatorships and not democracies. We end up taking a line that's closer to the democracy side, but obviously not fully since MC members and decisions about how PoA is run are appointed from within the MC and not elected by the members.

Over the years, things have gone up and down. Frankly we're on a down spiral at the moment, but those come and go, always have.

200w.gif

Agreed, but it goes more than two ways ;)
Even though I might agree with someone's political views doesn't mean I think they should be brought here, especially with the venom that is sometimes associated with them.

Nauga,
who likes his but won't wave it in your face.

Reactions: Ted
Talking/arguing about abortion, gay rights, gun control, tax policy, or other political issues or the government is political and I can understand controlling those discussions through judicious moderation. Making fun of a politician when they say or do something stupid is not political and is no different than making fun of any other notable person such as an athlete, actor, or pop star who does the same. I make fun of folks on both sides of the aisle as both sides are full of idiotic buffoons. It’s too bad that some folks including some mods are too narrow minded to differentiate between talking politics and talking about politicians.

Also openly talking about bans or warnings falls under the “learning from the mistakes of others rather than making your own” concept. It puts everything above board and also more clearly defines the lines. Unless we don’t want that?

This thread is on track to be my first thread to ever get locked. I guess your first time has to happen eventually...

Talking/arguing about abortion, gay rights, gun control, tax policy, or other political issues or the government is political and I can understand controlling those discussions through judicious moderation. Making fun of a politician when they say or do something stupid is not political and is no different than making fun of any other notable person such as an athlete, actor, or pop star who does the same. I make fun of folks on both sides of the aisle as both sides are full of idiotic buffoons. It’s too bad that some folks including some mods are too narrow minded to differentiate between talking politics and talking about politicians.

What is funny to one group of partisans, is often insulting to another.
The end result, what some may consider a funny joke about a politician, others will consider insulting.

What many people do not follow, the first step to having ones perspective respected, is to not be the but of a joke.

Tim

Making fun of a politician when they say or do something stupid is not political and is no different than making fun of any other notable person such as an athlete, actor, or pop star who does the same. I make fun of folks on both sides of the aisle as both sides are full of idiotic buffoons. It’s too bad that some folks including some mods are too narrow minded to differentiate between talking politics and talking about politicians.

It's worth noting that we openly give the joke thread a lot of leniency and there are political jokes/jokes about politicians in it almost every day. So there's a place for that. The joke thread has managed to (mostly) keep it to jokes. Recently we had a few people try to get into political discussion off of a political joke, and warnings were quickly issued along with a reminder. Note that the joke thread remains and we have all agreed that we want to keep it that way.

The end result, what some may consider a funny joke about a politician, others will consider insulting.

What many people do not follow, the first step to having ones perspective respected, is to not be the but of a joke.

Tim

But if we can't joke about a political side because it's not respectful then why do we allow jokes about blonds and jokes about Irishmen or any number of other stereotypical groups?

But if we can't joke about a political side because it's not respectful then why do we allow jokes about blonds and jokes about Irishmen or any number of other stereotypical groups?
Easy. Blondes do not notice. Irish are too drunk to care....

Could not resist....

In any case, as Ted pointed out above, they do let a lot slide on the joke thread.

But my point was to explain why some people get up in arms, and why everybody has a perception their side is persecuted.

Tim
This one, which is still up, is not poking fun at a politicians but instead is insulting to those who support him:
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...e-friday-joke-day.12125/page-117#post-2609296

Back