Short round robin ifr, remarks section...

tawood

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
I tried searching POA but couldn’t find an answer...

I’ve had my rating a few months now, and my adult daughter has been asking if she could go up and see what flying through the clouds is like. Today would be a good day: 1000(+-100) ceilings, 6+ vis, no turbulence and light winds...but, I’ll be a little pressed for time during the time she’s available. So, I was thinking of just a short round robin, from my uncontrolled g field, to the local class c (for a low approach), and back. I know filing would be just D95-KFNT-D95, but should I put something in remarks? Mention a low approach, or put “practice” or something?

Tell the first controller what you want to do. In my experience they are very cooperative so long as your plans do not conflict with theirs. Putting anything in Remarks is a waste of time...controllers do not see your flight plan.

Bob

Tell the first controller what you want to do. In my experience they are very cooperative so long as your plans do not conflict with theirs. Putting anything in Remarks is a waste of time...controllers do not see your flight plan.

Bob
Thanks Bob!

Bob

Some facilities will see the first part of remarks, bout 10 or so characters and can get the rest pretty quick.

I’ve had my rating a few months now, and my adult daughter has been asking if she could go up and see what flying through the clouds is like. Today would be a good day: 1000(+-100) ceilings, 6+ vis, no turbulence and light winds...but, I’ll be a little pressed for time during the time she’s available. So, I was thinking of just a short round robin, from my uncontrolled g field, to the local class c (for a low approach), and back. I know filing would be just D95-KFNT-D95, but should I put something in remarks? Mention a low approach, or put “practice” or something?

That whole flight takes place in Flint Approaches airspace. Depending on how you get your clearances there you could have the whole thing worked out before you depart. Does Approach have Com on the ground there?

For IFR training flights or practice session where I am not really going somewhere to stop, I will often place something like "training flight" or "IFR practice" in the remarks. ATC sees that much of it and, while it's probably not really necessary, it seems to be helpful in certain situations, especially filing to a fix and back to the airport of origination for multiple approaches. It seems to grease the wheels a little and I've been asked "what do you want first" on initial contact with approach.

I'm back home now. My daughter and I had fun on the flight: just 45 minutes total, and I logged 2 approaches. I (and ATC) made due with no remarks, and I think with it being both so short, and just out and back all within Flint approach, they could easily deduce what I was up to...

Great, glad she had fun (and I assume you too)!
Soooo .... how did you file it? "RR" in the remarks?
I just filed D95-FNT-D95, with no remarks. I picked up my clearance on the ground, and once airborne, they asked what approach I wanted at Flint. I told them "The VOR 36, with just a low approach, then back to Lapeer on the VOR alpha"...that's all there was to it.

Always fun to take a passenger ,into the clouds . Short flights are good,before boredom sets in.

I operate out of a class d TRSA that trains a lot of new hires. I’ve talked with the tower sup and he says the best way to file it is like you did. Our TRSA covers 5 or so airports with approaches I practice into. I just list my flight plan with the airport identifier as waypoints, and my home base as the destination, then let them know what approach I want to do at whatever airport I listed. We aren’t too busy most times so they are usually eager to help and train the controllers.

Always fun to take a passenger ,into the clouds . Short flights are good,before boredom sets in.
Sure, if you know how he or she will react to it. For some people, lack of visual references is a strong motion sickness trigger. I've volunteered to mentor one of our students who is interested in aviation and I'm not sure I'd want to take her into IMC on her first orientation flight, not until I know how susceptible she is to that sort of thing (I don't think she knows either, yet). Apart from it being just a rotten experience for the pax, I can't think of a worse time to have a cabin full of puke than when trying to fly an approach. :yikes:

Sure, if you know how he or she will react to it. For some people, lack of visual references is a strong motion sickness trigger. I've volunteered to mentor one of our students who is interested in aviation and I'm not sure I'd want to take her into IMC on her first orientation flight, not until I know how susceptible she is to that sort of thing (I don't think she knows either, yet). Apart from it being just a rotten experience for the pax, I can't think of a worse time to have a cabin full of puke than when trying to fly an approach. :yikes:
My daughter mentioned being a little queasy, right as we broke out of the clouds for our landing...we had been in the clouds pretty much the whole time, with the exception of a couple of minutes on the low approach at Flint. She didn't mention it again, but I bet that the lack of visual references did her in.

When I am doing my 7-day IFR program, I always put "IFR TRAINING" in remarks. They'll expect approaches, missed procedures and holds, etc.

Just file it and work it out with the controller. Not a big deal. Do it all the time with my instrument students. When I worked approach it wasn’t a biggie from that side either.

IFR Training or IFR Proficiency seem to be good remarks. usually with first airport to visit. Then you hear "how will this terminate" or "say intentions" and you can say something like "low approach only and then continue to [airport2]"

[Note: I'm not IR, but I'm a frequent safety pilot and that's how we roll]

Back