Renter’s insurance

ateamer

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
ateamer
I’ve been looking for a plane to rent for just a few hours so I can get back up to proficiency after not having flown for a few months due to moving. After that, I intend to start working as a part-time CFI. So far, the only operation I have found that is reasonably close to us requires renters to have full coverage to the tune of $100,000. A regular non-owned policy won’t do - it needs to be the same policy as if I owned the plane. For the 172R I’ll be flying, it will be $1100.

I have never run into this before. I can see being on the hook for the deductible, but not for the entire policy. I cam from the California central coast to Florida. Is it an east coast/west coast deal, or just this flight school? FWIW, they are both 61 and 141.

And on that note, any recommendations for a rental on Florida’s treasure coast?

$100k to rent a 172? That would count me out. Might as well buy one under those conditions. That $1100 probably doesn’t cover any other plane, eh? That’s nuts. Find a school that wants an instructor. I would think you could get a good deal to get back in the swing and start working for them.

Wow! I would imagine those requirements limit their pilot base significantly. I’d walk, they won’t all be that way.

I'd ask my insurance company to call them and confirm the requirements.

Something is lost in translation.

You can have a non-owned policy with certain hull coverage, and 100k isn't necessarily out of line, but what your describing sounds unusual.

The $1100 for 100K hull was a quote from an aviation insurance agent at the same airport. He did say that the remaining balance could be transferred to whatever plane I buy (I’m finally in the market for one, but expect it to tale a few months), but it still seems to me that the flight school should be the one carrying the policy.

I’m wondering if they have some kind of deal with the agent, or have had an excessive number of claims and their rates went up.

I’m not sure you could get “full coverage” as if you owned it, and not “non-owned, renters” policy.
Where is the insured interest?

Interesting that there is an insurance agent on airport that can offer a policy. Are they in cahoots?

I can understand their request for renters insurance to cover the full Hull value of the aircraft. That tells me they have had too many claims and can not afford their own insurance.

Remember, renters insurance covers your screwup. If the cause of the accident is determined to be mechanical that you had no control over, it should fall back to the flight schools insurance.

You need to carry your own liability insurance too.

Between these two comments, it sounds to me like there may be some shenanigans going on here...

He did say that the remaining balance could be transferred to whatever plane I buy ...

I’m not sure you could get “full coverage” as if you owned it, and not “non-owned, renters” policy.
Where is the insured interest?

Interesting that there is an insurance agent on airport that can offer a policy. Are they in cahoots?

Back