Weird searching old threads

Cluemeister

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Cluemeister
Occasionally I'll search for something on POA and then one of the results will take me back to a thread 7-8 years ago. It's very weird as you scroll through the posts and see a bunch of names/avatars you don't recognize. They were the regulars at the time. And then you wonder where they went. It's like driving back to your old neighborhood years later and everyone's moved away.

Occasionally I'll search for something on POA and then one of the results will take me back to a thread 7-8 years ago. It's very weird as you scroll through the posts and see a bunch of names/avatars you don't recognize. They were the regulars at the time. And then you wonder where they went. It's like driving back to your old neighborhood years later and everyone's moved away.
I’ve noticed it too.

I wonder what the very first thread looked like...

I think I was within the first 20 or 30 people to join back in early 2005. This board definitely has had a life cycle in terms of participants. But I have often noticed that the airplane related conversations never seem to change, except for those related to changing regs like ADS-B, Basic Med, etc.

But I have often noticed that the airplane related conversations never seem to change, except for those related to changing regs like ADS-B, Basic Med, etc.
This, on lots of forums, the change in content is slow, and the regulars often eventually hit the point where they don't think the rare new content is worth the time either contributing the same answers over and over, or weeding through the repeat content. I was a top 5 poster on one forum where this was the primary reason I left, and a top 20 contributor where I was close to exiting when the owner started adjusting the rules to favor his online store, which pushed me to a different forum, but I was already slowing down and stepping away from participating. That had the extra push that the repeating questions increasingly dealt with the newer version of the product that I have zero real interest in upgrading to.

I think I found the first POA thread:

WrightFlyer1

My brother and I are considering retrofitting our airplane with ailerons. Anyone know of an available STC?

- Orville
Funny, but if I recall correctly, the Wright brothers were actually against ailerons. They were “wing warpers” and they fought ailerons as a patent infringement. Maybe it was Curtis? Anyway, from what I recall, after being first to fly, they actually set aviation advancement back in the US with their constant lawsuits.

WrightFlyer1

My brother and I are considering retrofitting our airplane with ailerons. Anyone know of an available STC?

- Orville

They also asked which EFB (extra-large flight bag) to use to haul that big magenta line around so they can follow it.

WrightFlyer1

- Orville

I think he also posted, “I’ve soloed and have 12 seconds in my logbook, but I still have difficulty with landings. Any advice?”

I think I was within the first 20 or 30 people to join back in early 2005. This board definitely has had a life cycle in terms of participants. But I have often noticed that the airplane related conversations never seem to change, except for those related to changing regs like ADS-B, Basic Med, etc.

Just looked, I joined two days after you. :)

I swear on I was on this board back in the day, but never did find a sign of my old account, so maybe not. I'm still shaking my head about all the content I posted to StudentPilot.com that's just . . . *poof*

Ken,

You were #9... I think you may have gotten early access, since I think I joined on the first day it was public. Or publicized, at least. ;) Looks like @Dave Theisen joined the same day I did.

It used to be possible to find the first thread, but the new software that has the title as part of the URL kinda breaks that.

I think he also posted, “I’ve soloed and have 12 seconds in my logbook, but I still have difficulty with landings. Any advice?”

Followed by: "This airplane partnership with Will isn't working out, so he's gonna buy me out of the Flyer. Should I buy a 50 year old Bo or a 15 year old Cirrus as my next airplane?"

Ken,

You were #9... I think you may have gotten early access, since I think I joined on the first day it was public. Or publicized, at least. ;) Looks like @Dave Theisen joined the same day I did.

It used to be possible to find the first thread, but the new software that has the title as part of the URL kinda breaks that.

Where can you see what number you are, curious to see where I rank.

Followed by: "This airplane partnership with Will isn't working out, so he's gonna buy me out of the Flyer. Should I buy a 50 year old Bo or a 15 year old Cirrus as my next airplane?"
And then complaints about RVs doing overhead breaks.

Where can you see what number you are, curious to see where I rank.

Hover your pointer over your name. The link that appears will have a form of your name, a dot, and then a number. That number is it - At least for those who joined before the Xenforo switch. You're #69.

Back