Legal?

So none are required unless the tcds or something requires. Have to inop them before legal to fly again though.

Which plane, and what does the POH say, if anything? If not, fall back Tomato Flames.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

I thought all the planes at the school you teach were down just recently?!?

Well, based on POH I found online, you are going based on the regs not on a limitation in the POH. So VFR, yes you can fly.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

Do you have to get a mechanic to deactivate it, placard it inop, and record it in accordance with Part 43?

Last edited:
Placarded required. Otherwise not required by common regulations.

I am not familiar with the KoE list for a 172M, is either of those equipment required by the manufacturer for VFR flight?

Placarded required. Otherwise not required by common regulations.

91.213(d)(3)(ii):

"(ii) Deactivated and placarded “Inoperative.” If deactivation of the inoperative instrument or equipment involves maintenance, it must be accomplished and recorded in accordance with part 43 of this chapter; and..."

How do you deactivate a turn coordinator without involving maintenance?

91.213(d)(3)(ii):

"(ii) Deactivated and placarded “Inoperative.” If deactivation of the inoperative instrument or equipment involves maintenance, it must be accomplished and recorded in accordance with part 43 of this chapter; and..."

Pull the circuit breaker.

91.213(d)(3)(ii):

How do you deactivate a vacuum pump?

91.213(d)(3)(ii):

Technically the turn coordinator isn't broken, but because the vacuum pump is ooc, the instrument isn't working.

What other instruments go out with the vacuum pump?

Since the vacuum pump is attached to the engine, I would be inclined to say it can't be deactivated unless it is removed.

Technically the turn coordinator isn't broken, but because the vacuum pump is ooc, the instrument isn't working.

What other instruments go out with the vacuum pump?

Oh yeah, it broke except for the ball. TC is electric, not a vacuum powered instrument. For a reason. I know what instruments one loses with a vacuum pump failure, doesn’t sound like you do though. But you can guess again. ;):)

So, inop turn coordinator. Yesterday in pattern vacuum pump went TU. Am I legal?
This is a quiz, I know the answer, well, as far as you know.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/d3d4c5a9-2734-4b17-8cd5-4dc9d4bfc1bd

Oh yeah, it broke except for the ball. TC is electric, not a vacuum powered instrument. For a reason. I know what instruments one loses with a vacuum pump failure, doesn’t sound like you do though. But you can guess again. ;):)

From your first post, it sounds like both the rate-of-turn indicator and the vacuum pump were inop. If so, then in a 172M I would expect the directional gyro and the attitude indicator to be inop as well..

From your first post, it sounds like both the rate-of-turn indicator and the vacuum pump were inop. If so, then in a 172M I would expect the directional gyro and the attitude indicator to be inop as well..

TC has been inop for some time, except for the ball. I was flying it Sat and the vacuum pump went out. So yes, those two are kaput.

doesn’t sound like you do though. ;):)

Not on your plane I don't. Traditionally the vacuum system powers the gyros in the Attitude Indicator and Heading Indicator, but it's not like that in all airplanes. If you have a whiskey compass, neither is required for VFR flight unless Cessna requires them. But that's just restating what I've said before. I see no reason not to fly VFR other than maybe a personal limit/comfort thing.

BTW, I was thinking of the Heading Indicator when I wrote "turn coordinator". Brain Not Engaged.

Not on your plane I don't. Traditionally the vacuum system powers the gyros in the Attitude Indicator and Heading Indicator, but it's not like that in all airplanes. If you have a whiskey compass, neither is required for VFR flight unless Cessna requires them. But that's just restating what I've said before. I see no reason not to fly VFR other than maybe a personal limit/comfort thing.

BTW, I was thinking of the Heading Indicator when I wrote "turn coordinator". Brain Not Engaged.

Correct on everything above. I have no problem going up VFR in it, works great for those students who try to stare at the instruments too much instead of outside. ;)

Unfortunate thing is I have an instrument student tomorrow so we’ll have to cancel without the pump and TC being inop. Our other 172 is booked.

If you don't go actual, they could get some realistic partial panel :)

Back