Grammar Question (Possessive of a Possessive)

RJM62

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geek on the Hill
Specifically, if the name of the entity doing the possessing is in itself a possessive, what would be the proper form to refer to things possessed by the possessor?

Or more specifically, what would be the proper form to refer to the prices of stuff sold by BJ's? BJ's is already a possessive that means the company owned by BJ. So how would one refer to the prices of stuff sold by BJ's? "BJ's prices," BJ's's prices," "BJ's' prices," or something else?

Rich

Often see that sort of thing without the possessive at all, eg "Target prices are low" so all the more reason to go with "BJ's prices".

If something already ends in an s then I think you just add the apostrophe, generally, so it would be BJ's'. I think.

If something already ends in an s then I think you just add the apostrophe, generally, so it would be BJ's'. I think.

That's what I'm going with for now; although I suppose a case also could be made for everything BJ's sells being sold on behalf of BJ, in which "BJ's prices" might also be acceptable.

Rich

That's what I'm going with for now; although I suppose a case also could be made for everything BJ's sells being sold on behalf of BJ, in which "BJ's prices" might also be acceptable.

Rich

I think BJ's' looks cumbersome and I would not go that route.

I presume the name of the company is possessive. So adding the apostrophe only would be the most correct thing to do. BUT, only the editor will know it is correct. It will likely look odd to readers, who are less pedantic.

Now, are we talking abut BJ's' price. Or BJ's prices?

Last edited:
I presume the name of the company is possessive. So adding the apostrophe only would be the most correct thing to do. BUT, only the editor will know it is correct. It will likely look odd to readers, who are less pedantic.

Now, are we talking abut BJ's' price. Or BJ's prices?

I'm also the editor...

Rich

I think BJ's' looks cumbersome and I would not go that route.

I agree. It's probably technically correct but would just call attention to something that otherwise nobody will even care about.

It's probably technically correct but would just call attention to something that otherwise nobody will even care about.

Are you new to this board? That is the premise for POA's existence.

On a serious note. It would still be BJ's. BJ's Grocery Store sales BJ's groceries at BJ's prices to BJ's customers.

On a serious note. It would still be BJ's. BJ's Grocery Store sales BJ's groceries at BJ's prices to BJ's customers.
I think BJ's Grocery Store SELLS BJ's groceries at BJ's prices to BJ's customers. That's all fine. But BJ's' price for for Michelob might might be too high for some reason, BJ's tends to price other beers reasonably, IMHO.

I think BJ's Grocery Store SELLS BJ's groceries at BJ's prices to BJ's customers. That's all fine. But BJ's' price for for Michelob might might be too high for some reason, BJ's tends to price other beers reasonably, IMHO.

Yep sells, not sales. Damn it, I always correct other people on that one. Too many cold kavs today.

I think you're over thinking this... BJ's (the store) is owned by BJ. The prices in that store are BJ's prices.

Just be glad you don’t have to be comparing multiple BJ’s’s’ prices against each other!

I think you're over thinking this... BJ's (the store) is owned by BJ. The prices in that store are BJ's prices.

That's what I ultimately decided to do.

I certainly spent more time researching and making a decision than anyone is likely to spend reading the article.

Rich

Back