I really don't like the latest Garmin GTN software update...

The worst part is when you are just past the FAF and time runs out. "Do you want to continue?" pops up and you have maybe 15 seconds to hunt for more change before the screen goes blank. I hate that.

Ahh..... I see. You installed the ADSB firmware. Don’t worry, just bypass it. They will automatically bill you. At least that’s what I’m told will happen.

One thing I like is the full QWERTY keyboard on my GTN650. NICE! No need to scroll around anymore.

Is it possible for an owner to update the software? I know a garmin dealer can perform the update, but I’d rather avoid the cost and hassle. Google search just results in database updates and couldn’t find software info.

Is it possible for an owner to update the software? I know a garmin dealer can perform the update, but I’d rather avoid the cost and hassle. Google search just results in database updates and couldn’t find software info.

It must be done by the dealer. The software needed to perform the update is not available to the end user.

Well looks like I’ll just have to make an appointment to get the updates.

Cost me $300 to update my GTN650, FS510 and GTX345 to the latest versions. All software.

One thing I like is the full QWERTY keyboard on my GTN650. NICE! No need to scroll around anymore.

Wow. That was one of the reasons we went with a 750 in the first place. No regrets - we actually don't use the keyboard nearly as much as we expected to, since we can talk to the GTN via the GMA 350c. But having a full keyboard without scrolling is a big improvement for the 650.

Cost me $300 to update my GTN650, FS510 and GTX345 to the latest versions. All software.

Did they give you a reach around for that price too?

Did they give you a reach around for that price too?

That's not quite accurate, actually. Probably two hours, so $190 plus tax. Third hour was spent diagnosing (and successfully fixing) an ADS-B OUT configuration problem a previous shop committed.

Pricey? I suppose. I have gotten to the point that I accept that good, competent work done correctly the first time is simply going to cost more.

Is that what u need for voice control over a 650/750?

Yup. GMA 350 or 350c (which adds Bluetooth).

The GMA 350c plus the FlightStream 510 makes the GTN a whole different box. The 510 makes database updates a piece of cake and allows two-way flight plan transfer, while the GMA 350c allows you to give voice commands by pushing a new "Push-to-Command" button on your yoke and giving a command.

The voice commands aren't "smart" or context sensitive or any of that, but there are limits to voice recognition technology in such a noisy environment right now. However, you can say things like "Tune destination ATIS" or "tune nearest Approach", or "Show Map", "Show Traffic", "Show destination airport runways", etc - There's a show command for every single page in the entire UI, plus you can get audio feedback with commands like "Say Groundspeed" and it'll get spoken back to you. You can also control the audio panel itself - "Select Mic 1", "Toggle Com2" and such. The full command list is here: http://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-01007-50_A.pdf

I have gotten to the point that I accept that good, competent work done correctly the first time is simply going to cost more.

Not really. If it's done correctly the first time, it tends to cost less. The first bill will be more than the first bill from another shop, but you won't have to pay the second (and third, etc) bill for the same thing.

Not really. If it's done correctly the first time, it tends to cost less. The first bill will be more than the first bill from another shop, but you won't have to pay the second (and third, etc) bill for the same thing.

Agreed!

Back