New GA owner

kep5niner

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Pete
Greetings team. I’ve come across this forum and seems to be the most comprehensive and informative I’ve seen so far.

I’m the proud new owner of a 1966 C310L. Finding this aircraft concluded an over 2-year search. She’s absolutely immaculate, and had her in my hangar within a week of the TAP posting.

Right out of the gate, I’m looking at avionics upgrades, with the first priority going to ADS-B compliance. But as I licked my chops, it didn’t take long to rack up a $50k wish list - and that was just materials.

Looking forward to learning from the collective knowledge, as well as contributing where I can.

Welcome to ownership! There is nothing like it, in many ways...;)

The ADS-B compliance decision is complex, and is affected by what you have or want to have in the panel, and what you want your ADS-B install to do for you. There are a lot of choices, but interoperability issues provide constraints.

Greetings team. I’ve come across this forum and seems to be the most comprehensive and informative I’ve seen so far.

I’m the proud new owner of a 1966 C310L. Finding this aircraft concluded an over 2-year search. She’s absolutely immaculate, and had her in my hangar within a week of the TAP posting.

Right out of the gate, I’m looking at avionics upgrades, with the first priority going to ADS-B compliance. But as I licked my chops, it didn’t take long to rack up a $50k wish list - and that was just materials.

Looking forward to learning from the collective knowledge, as well as contributing where I can.
Welcome and Congrats on your plane!!!

Good catch - same thing my dad said when I found it. The air worthiness cert is dated 12/31. So maybe the first L to roll off the line?

Congrats, and for a first plane you jumped in with both feet :)

I’d hold off on tb ADSB for a bit

Also do you actually need it for where you live and go?

Thanks for then response. Myself and both of my folks are commercial pilots (pops retired airline CPT, moms multi-inst just for fun) and family all over the country. Will be flown primarily IFR. Options like ADSB out and in are some of the avionics considerations.

I’m headed the airline route myself (RTP).

Last edited:
o8dvMqfyuG2ZMuLr8
I'd like to post pics, but I think my post count is not yet above 5, thus the failed attempts at including pics. If I'm wrong, let me know.

Welcome and congratulations.

Thanks fellas. I did see the twin Cessna forum, wasn’t sure about paying $$$ for a forum, but you do get what you pay for. Thanks for the tip!

I think that vintage 310 (L through Q) is one of the coolest looking airplanes ever. It will look modern 40 years from now. And, argueably, if you can fly it to ATP standards you’ll be well prepared to move on to more sophisticated (albeit easier to fly) airplanes. I’ve been flying a friends’ 310, a ‘68 Q model and have concluded that it’s sort of the Merlin IIIB version of light twins: Demanding to fly well and develops good skills.

Welcome congrats on the airplane. Blue skies.

Think I’ve flown Ls, along with other models. She’s a beaut, congrats and welcome.

I think that vintage 310 (L through Q) is one of the coolest looking airplanes ever. It will look modern 40 years from now. And, argueably, if you can fly it to ATP standards you’ll be well prepared to move on to more sophisticated (albeit easier to fly) airplanes. I’ve been flying a friends’ 310, a ‘68 Q model and have concluded that it’s sort of the Merlin IIIB version of light twins: Demanding to fly well and develops good skills.

Thanks - I think she's beautiful also, and for the length of time I was shopping (2+ years), this one hit all the marks. I was actually looking for a P or a Q, and definitely the IO470, but from what was on the market, this L was babied and couldn't pass it up. Just a little over 5,000 hours on the airframe. The broker provided almost 500 high-quality pictures of the A/C and log books, and it made the decision too easy. Just looking forward to flying it - that will have to wait until next summer though.

The PO invested heavily in this panel, but I have further upgrades planned:
IMG_5599.JPG IMG_5605.JPG IMG_5603.JPG

If I ever upgrade to a twin a 310 would def be on the short list. That's a great example. Autopilot?

Since I'm spending your $$$, a GTN750 and GTX345 will fit nicely in that stack. Take out the other stuff and just keep the King 165 as #2 nav/com. The Garmin 400 might bring 2K.

That’s exactly what I had considered - the GTN 750 and GTX 345. Thought about keeping the G400W for redundancy, but haven’t talked to the experts yet. The existing AP is the Navomatic 400 (not 400A), so it’s all but dead to me. Looking at the STEC 3100.

Wow, that was quick...I could’ve bought the airplane again for all that (installed). But she would be a venerable and reliable bird after that, and should serve me well. I’m sure Garmin offers a package deal, right?o_O

Back