Is aircraft mechanic a good career field?

evapilotaz

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Drone airspace abuser
My son is a sophomore in high school and they offer aircraft mechanic electives.
Then He can go to college and finish out the aircraft mechanic program.

Is the work rewarding and pay well?

Not asking for a friend

Is he willing to move to get a good gig?

When one considers the increasing cost of higher education and the amount of student loan debt that people are burdened with today, it seems the trade schools offer an advantage.
As always in life, if one puts forth the effort, that effort will be rewarded. an a&p could start a successful business between repairs, annuals, renting his own aircraft, etc. I have met a few that have done it.

I know many people who have made good careers from being an A&P and even better once getting their IA. You aren't going to get rich working for a maintenance shop at a GA airport but it will be a more relaxed environment. If he wants to get into the big league with the airliners, now you are talking really good money. A&P's who own their own business seem to do well and generally have people that do the labor for them.

A pilot forum to ask about aircraft maintenance careers? lol

For small piston/turbine aircraft? No. Corporate jets and larger, yes.

There are so many different disciplines in aircraft maintenance you may not even realize it. One of my friends started on airframe team, who does most of the inspections and F/T, got burned out fast and moved to structures team and loves working structures.
NDT always looks like an easy job, many of them here carry around an ultrasonic & eddy current machine all day. Engine Line, services engines on-wing. Engine shop tares them down and fixes them. Avionics Line does all the FAR inspections/OEM on various aircraft systems such as navigation, entertainment etc. Avionics Line also helps everyone else troubleshoot since most of them are better aircraft electricians.

Willingness to move is a biggie.

Typical career path is working in production type shop for say 20 years the moving to a quality, tech rep, or managing type position. Its almost like clockwork watching the veterans get shoulder surgery once them move out of production.

Some move onto engineering or some sort of support team who focus is alterations, engineering and gaining FAA approvals. That's a whole different side of the house.

Last edited:
It’s the same as any career, it’s what you make of it and it depends on many variables. I’ve loved it and I’ve hated it. Overall, it’s been good to me. Would I do it again? Possibly. With the current shortage of good young mechanics, the future is brighter than it might have ever been.

Even if he’s undecided now about the career, taking the courses in high school can be a good idea. They can come in useful if he decides to do it later or if he decides to become a pilot or in other fields and trades where the knowledge may be useful. Probably a better choice of electives than many others with the exception of other STEM courses.

Take the courses, finish out the cert. He'll never get it at that price down the line.

It's not for everyone, but if its your calling then it can be very rewarding and in some instances very well paid after a several years of experience. All depends on how far he would want to take it.

If I had to do it over I would have finished my certificate earlier like at 18. There were no schools close. Instead I worked as a helper, rec'd a repairman certificate, then got my A&P. I also would have paid more attention to avionics/electrical type work earlier on in my career. An avionics tech with an A&P can basically write his own ticket with relevant experience. Since I worked helicopters for a day job, I'm more partial to rotorwing. But there is basically an A-Z of opportunities in the field, literally the sky's the limit. If traveling is important to your son, certain avenues can make that a part of your job. In my case, I worked and lived in several different countries and could have gone more places if I had wanted to go. Now, in some types of work it can be a little adventurous like changing a main xsmn on a mountain ridge, or riding a crew boat 12 hours to fix an aircraft stuck on an unmanned oil platform. And then there are the routine shift work type jobs but rarely are they ever a "9 to 5" type environment unless you're in the head shed. However, with the right attitude, the old saying "if you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life" can easily be had as an A&P. At least it did for me. Good luck to your son.

I went a little different rout. I have always worked on my own airplanes and I've built homebuilts and restored several airplanes. I got my A&P 4 years ago. I started a rebuild/restoration/ builder assistance shop about 10 years ago. I like doing a project from start to finish as I get to use a variety of skills instead of doing a couple of things over and over. I am always as busy as I want to be and if I just wanted to do fabric work I would have work for the rest of my life. If he wants to be an A&P he will have a good paying job waiting for him as soon as he finishes school. Most of the airline jobs are shift work mainly at night doing the same thing over and over but with good pay and benefits. GA is a tough life but some make a very good living. Nitche stuff like fabric, sheet metal and avionics pay really well and are in great demand.

Just a data point, a maintenance technician at United will make from $21/hour to around $50/hour an hour based on seniority, licenses, etc.

My son is a sophomore in high school and they offer aircraft mechanic electives.

Not asking for a friend
Does he want to be an aircraft mechanic? That's the important question. Regardless of pay scale or demand or other factors, its not a job many last in unless its something they genuinely want to do. Beyond that, there is generally good demand for good aircraft techs, but the pay ain't always great. And while demand is good, its still aviation so like most other aviation based jobs, there might be 10-15 companies to work for within 100 sq miles vs 100-200 or more available companies looking for automotive or diesel mechanics in the same radius. Which just means might be in for more of a commute or might have to relocate more often than he would for other careers. Then again, its usually a cleaner way to turn wrenches for a living than cars or trucks. I manage a trucking company. You show me a diesel mechanic wearing a clean shirt and I'll show you a guy who is no more than 10 minutes into his first day with the company.

Thank you for the answers. He loves airplanes and this is an opportunity they have at his school to start learning the trade. Maybe he can get his a&p for something on the side. Not sure exactly what he wants to do for a career.

I got my A&P in 2006, as a start to a second career as an Avionics Line Maintenance tech after being laid off as an engineer in Silicon Valley, CA. The A&P school was in Hollister, CA, and the Avionics was at ERAU in Daytona, FL. On my way home from ERAU, after finishing the avionics course, I stopped in Wichita and accidentally networked my way into an engineering job at Cessna A/C. I used the job at Cessna to get another engineering job in Silicon Valley.

We learned a lot of different skills in A&P school. Engine repair, sheet metal repair, welding, painting, fiberglass repair, basic electronics, not to mention using tools and identifying fasteners. My second airframe instructor had worked for years at United's repair facility in San Francisco. He ended up getting a job in maintenance at a local cannery in Hollister. The point is, an A&P will expose you to a lot of different skills and technologies, and you can transfer them to just about any industry.

Like was already said, it is what you make of it. But if he is for it, then I think he should do it. What does he have to lose? I took architecture for three years in high school but ended up going into construction and engineering but I don't regret it.

I often wish I would have pursued a much more "hands on" career. If he enjoys it I say go for it...

Nothing to lose getting the license. A lot of airliners out there need a lot of mechanics.

We had 9 ppl in our local shop and lost half to the big boys recently. They aren’t making a ton of new aircraft so someone’s got to keep my 65’ Cessna running!!

My son is in a CAD program. Clean, warm, and in demand too.

My father-in-law was an A/P for American Airlines for 30 years. Serviced Boeing 767 engines in the Tulsa shop. Didn't get rich, but made a nice life out of it, including private education K-12 for the two kids. Retired a couple years ago. However, he became quite disgruntled in the end by both American and the union. He might not recommend entering part of the field in the current times, but worked out for him for many years.

The mechanics in the shop I use here in Podunk, OK stay busy all the time, and I'd say they have a back log of work most of the time. Seems to me that if a fellow can do good efficient work and keep the planes moving through, a small shop could make a good living.

Ive Had my A&P for 1 1/2 yrs now (its a license to learn) i went to school right after graduating highschool. If he likes to turn wrenches and is wanting to be around aviation, right now with the industry as strong as it is, there would be no reason not too if he has already given it a thought. There are so many jobs in aviation where an A&P comes in handy for not just for turning wrenches, i luckily found a job while still in classes working for a managment company, somehow they still decided to give me gainful employment after i graduated and am now resposible for 11 biz jets and turboprops and the only A&P in the office. If he also has plans on wanting to fly someday, its a great way to get some time, my job has allowed me build time in everything from a warrior to our C90GT. All in all, Id say go for it.

Thank you for the comments.
he’s a sophomore this year and they offer the program to junior and seniors. Not sure if this would be the ultimate career choice for him but may he can get his a&p for doing work on the side or maybe for me if I ever get my own plane :)

Go into the military and work on turbine aircraft from the first day. Get your A&P while in. Get out of the military and get a job working on turbine aircraft.

The money is, where the money is. And the real money in aviation is in turbine aircraft.

It’s not about the military. It’s about getting top notch training, incredible experience, learning dicipline and work ethics, all while getting paid well to do so. Great benefits while in the service, including travel, medical, dental, retirement savings, and leadership training. More education benefits when you get out.

I know guys who served a few years in the military and were hired straight into major turbine engine repair shops. If you play your cards right, the military can be a short cut to a rewarding career in the turbine side of aviation.

1. Is aircraft mechanic a good career field?
2. Is the work rewarding
3. and pay well?

Not asking for a friend

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. not enough. But that will change.

I was in the Navy for 22 years. The first 16 years in aviation maintenance. The next 6 as a career adviser for junior personnel. I told kids constantly, "you pick your rate (what the navy calls your skill classification or "rating"), you pick your fate. Meaning if you're not in a job that's in demand, you are not gonna advance quickly.

After the Navy, I went to work for a major repair depot, working on 737/57/67/77 and MD-80 aircraft. After 9/11 happened I got laid off and recalled a couple of times. Tired of the layoffs and wanting a job with better pay and opportunity, I look and found a job that had a HUGE demand. And, thats what I went and got trained for. Now, having told you this, I'll simply post a link to an interesting article (times, they are a changing!):

https://www.flyingmag.com/aviation-technician-shortage-gathering-storm

I love all the good advice on here. Moving is important, and Alaska is a fine state. With an A&P with a commercial Sea Plane rating.... OMG. The possibilities are endless. Not very many places where a single engine pilot can earn up to 6 figures with a freezer full of shrimp, halibut, moose, and salmon!

It's a good time to get in, the majors are hiring off the street for the first time in probably 20 years and there are large waves of retirements happening now from the last big hiring boom back in the late 80's.

I love all the good advice on here. Moving is important, and Alaska is a fine state. With an A&P with a commercial Sea Plane rating.... OMG. The possibilities are endless. Not very many places where a single engine pilot can earn up to 6 figures with a freezer full of shrimp, halibut, moose, and salmon!

Yep...AK is the spot. Though unless you own your own 135 the money here is in flying planes not fixing them. Unless you’re fixing your own plane, of course.

Not asking for a friend

The head of maintenance for United Airlines here at SFO said he needs to hire over 100 mechanics a year to keep pace with transfers and retirements. There a 2 year intro period at base pay were the airlines train new A&P's on turbine maintenance and maintenance procedures for their fleet. I think the 3rd year(?) the pay jumps to over $100K as a union job with benefits.

United came to my A&P school to try to get people for SFO. Stupid expensive to live down there. If they had a lot like LAX to park a little camp trailer, I might’ve done it to get the seniority and transfer out.

The head of maintenance for United Airlines here at SFO said he needs to hire over 100 mechanics a year to keep pace with transfers and retirements. There a 2 year intro period at base pay were the airlines train new A&P's on turbine maintenance and maintenance procedures for their fleet. I think the 3rd year(?) the pay jumps to over $100K as a union job with benefits.
Making $100k/yr is awesome if you work in Fort Wayne or Kansas City. But at SFO, you're going to be in for quite a daily commute in order to find a house you'll be able to afford on that income.

Tired of the layoffs and wanting a job with better pay and opportunity, I look and found a job that had a HUGE demand. And, thats what I went and got trained for.
Don't leave us hanging man, what was the job with the HUGE demand?

There a 2 year intro period at base pay were the airlines train new A&P's on turbine maintenance and maintenance procedures for their fleet. I think the 3rd year(?) the pay jumps to over $100K as a union job with benefits.

That's minimum wage in the bay area.

That's minimum wage in the bay area.

Yup absolutely. The Bay Area is losing A&P's fast to other States. I personally know of 3 who left in the last 30 days for another state. They made about the same amount of money, but had a substantial improvement in standard of living.

I mentioned United at SFO, as I'm in this area; but the demand is nationwide. I'm in hight tech. New college grads coming to the big tech giants make $85K per year and get bumped to $100K within 18 months if they are good. Not unusual to see 4-5 new workers sharing an apartment. A&P's here would need to room together for a 3-4 years like the tech workers.

Don't leave us hanging man, what was the job with the HUGE demand?
Meth lab operator. He didn’t want to say

Close, but no cigar evapilotaz.

It was medical imaging. Went back to school for 21 months, then got a job as an X-ray tech. Then, got on-the-job training for computed tomography (CATSCAN). Not my first choice for a career field. But, it put 2 kids through college, gives me a 2nd pension on top of my Navy pension, and it allows me to fly and build airplanes for fun.

It was medical imaging. Went back to school for 21 months, then got a job as an X-ray tech. Then, got on-the-job training for computed tomography (CATSCAN). Not my first choice for a career field. But, it put 2 kids through college, gives me a 2nd pension on top of my Navy pension, and it allows me to fly and build airplanes for fun.

One of the best gigs on the education cost/income ratio :thumbsup:.

Back