got my Presidential alert

Happens here all the time.... mostly Tar-na-das or Amber-lerts.
I have my weather and Amber alerts turned off, but there was no way to turn off the Presidential alert.

Back in the old cold war days, I always said if the Ruskies ever nuked us it'll be at noon on Wednesday.

and everyone would just have said "yep, they're testing the freakin' sireeeeens again."

I was watching (over a video feed) a co-worker interview an embezzlement suspect. My co-worker's phone went off, and the suspect jumped and said, "What's that!" The co-worker said, "Lie detector." Suspect immediately confessed.
So it worked just like the real thing....

People are making it political for some reason but it makes sense, I don't think most people listen to the radio anymore so you gotta reach them somehow if there's an emergency.

I was flying & had just connected the bluetooth to the headset to make a call and thanks to the iphone/bose volume setting (ultra-high), it made me jump out of the cockpit for a second!

I was with my grandson at Moundville looking at the Indian mounds, and other Indian stuff, and it went off, probably a half dozen or more of us. Funny watching people trying to figure out WTH it was.

I was watching (over a video feed) a co-worker interview an embezzlement suspect. My co-worker's phone went off, and the suspect jumped and said, "What's that!" The co-worker said, "Lie detector." Suspect immediately confessed.

Lmao. The defense is gonna have fun with that

Back in the old cold war days, I always said if the Ruskies ever nuked us it'll be at noon on Wednesday.

and everyone would just have said "yep, they're testing the freakin' sireeeeens again."
They still test them.

First Wednesday of the month, 11am. That was today.

Are we still supposed to tune to 640 kc or 1240 kc on our AM dial ... ?

:cool:

Ah, the good ol’ emergency broadcast system. We did have presidents back then to. Why’s it the presidential system now. Well gee, it is the campaign season. I’m done. Pullin ripcord, I’m outta here on this one

I didn't get it either.

I have access to the IPAWS/EAS system. We send them out when we have evacuations for fires and stuff like that (plus the monthly EAS test). I'd send you one, but I think you have to be in either of the two counties I dispatch for. hahahaha

People are making it political for some reason but it makes sense, I don't think most people listen to the radio anymore so you gotta reach them somehow if there's an emergency.

Yup. It was just a test. And my phone responded, even here in the hinterlands of Hawaii. :D

I wish it came with a snappy message :-(

From the news reports.....

".... with the success of the Presidential Emergency Text Alert system, inside sources report that the Presidential Instagram Alert, Snapchat Alert, and Tinder Alert will be tested in upcoming weeks...."

Lmao. The defense is gonna have fun with that

I was under the impression that law enforcement is allowed to lie to suspects. Is that not true?

When I was a kid in public school I remember asking a teacher once why we do duck and cover drills. We were told it was in case of a sudden tornado or hurricane.

55 years since I'd seen that film and I still sing it in my head when I see the words "duck and cover".

I was under the impression that law enforcement is allowed to lie to suspects. Is that not true?
Yes. The standard is that it can't be a lie that would entice an innocent person to confess, if that makes sense.
I prefer not to lie to suspects, because makes things "cleaner", if you will. I do, on occasion, infer something is true when it isn't. For example, I'm known to say, "I know what really happened. Do you have any idea how many video cameras are out there in this world?" The inference of course is that I've got the suspect on camera doing the crime. An innocent person, hearing that there could be a video camera, would be relived to know that the offense is on camera, and would help prove their innocence. A guilty person, not so much.
A lie that might make an innocent person confess might be something like, "If you tell me you did it, you will get in less trouble than if you tell me you didn't."

Yes. The standard is that it can't be a lie that would entice an innocent person to confess, if that makes sense.
I prefer not to lie to suspects, because makes things "cleaner", if you will. I do, on occasion, infer something is true when it isn't. For example, I'm known to say, "I know what really happened. Do you have any idea how many video cameras are out there in this world?" The inference of course is that I've got the suspect on camera doing the crime. An innocent person, hearing that there could be a video camera, would be relived to know that the offense is on camera, and would help prove their innocence. A guilty person, not so much.
A lie that might make an innocent person confess might be something like, "If you tell me you did it, you will get in less trouble than if you tell me you didn't."
You must deal with a lot of people who don't know that the only correct response to a question from the police is "I want a lawyer."

You must deal with a lot of people who don't know that the only correct response to a question from the police is "I want a lawyer."
Funny, but a guy said to me today, "I'm sorry, but my attorney said not to talk to you." I responded, "Hey, I totally respect that. People think I get angry when you ask for a lawyer, but its all part of your rights. So what happened at the gas station, anyway?" Believe it or friggin not, the guy then confessed to the crime.

Funny, but a guy said to me today, "I'm sorry, but my attorney said not to talk to you." I responded, "Hey, I totally respect that. People think I get angry when you ask for a lawyer, but its all part of your rights. So what happened at the gas station, anyway?" Believe it or friggin not, the guy then confessed to the crime.

"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." - Tater Salad

What is this alert of which you speak?

Must be the guv'ment doesn't love me.

Back