Earning A and/or P after home building

iamtheari

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
Ari
Has anyone managed to earn an A&P license (or at least the airframe side of it) partly or entirely as a result of building a plane? The mechanic license seems to be a lot harder to get as a weekend warrior, compared with a pilot license. I’m thinking that the experience of building a plane should count at least a little bit toward that license and I would like to leverage it if I can. I can work on the plane I build of course but I would really like to earn the ability to work on other planes, too.

I would contact your FSDO and ask them what they would accept as qualifying experience. They will be the ones to say yay or nay. Opinions on POA and even experiences at different FSDOs mean nothing. It's not like every FSDO plays by the same playbook.

Doesn't the work done have to be under the stuporvision of an A&P to count?

I do believe that long, long, ago, in a universe far, far, away, homebuilding time did count, but not no more.

Doesn't the work done have to be under the stuporvision of an A&P to count?

I do believe that long, long, ago, in a universe far, far, away, homebuilding time did count, but not no more.
Forgot to mention: my friend is an A&P and is helping/supervising the entire build. So I think the time counts, but I wonder how much more is required.

You need to consider at least the following requirements from Part 65.

§65.77 Experience requirements.
Each applicant for a mechanic certificate or rating must present either an appropriate graduation certificate or certificate of completion from a certificated aviation maintenance technician school or documentary evidence, satisfactory to the Administrator, of—

(a) At least 18 months of practical experience with the procedures, practices, materials, tools, machine tools, and equipment generally used in constructing, maintaining, or altering airframes, or powerplants appropriate to the rating sought; or

(b) At least 30 months of practical experience concurrently performing the duties appropriate to both the airframe and powerplant ratings.

You must then also consider the guidance that the ASI is required to follow in administering the regulation which is found in FAA Order 8900.1 Volume 5 Chapter 5 Section 2. It states in part:

E. Part-Time Practical Experience. During the evaluation of part-time practical aviation maintenance experience, the applicant must document an equivalent of 18 months for each rating individually, or 30 months of experience for both ratings. This is based on a standard work-week that has 8 hours per day for 5 days per week, or a 40 hour work-week, or a total of approximately 160 hours per month. The time is cumulative, but the days, weeks, and months are not required to be consecutive. The practical experience must be documented.

So for the A&P you will need 30 months of equivalent full time experience which will amount to approximately 5,000 hours. But the order goes on to state:

Applicants will document a proportionate amount of experience directly applicable to the certificate and ratings sought. The applicant must have verifiable experience in 50 percent of the subject areas listed for the rating sought (refer to part 147 appendices B, C, and D) in order to be eligible.

Gaining the 5,000 hours of total experience time is simply not plausible in any builds that I am aware of unless you are really slow and the FAA rewarding being slow is not likely to happen.
Gaining the varied and verifiable experience in 50 percent of the areas listed in the appendices in Part 147 is not accomplished in any builds that I am aware of.
Getting both is simply outside of the realm of possibility in my opinion.

But in recognition of your knowledge gained from the build of a specific aircraft the FAA does offer the repairman certificate but due to the limits of the experience gained, it is limited to the aircraft built. That seems to be a fair allowance with a fair restriction. If you want the A&P, go to a 147 or work as an apprentice where you can gain experience in the other areas listed in Part 147. Getting an A&P strictly from a single build or multiple similar builds is not likely to happen.

Since you've built (or are building) your own you will get the repairman's certificate for your plane.

You should have no trouble getting an LSA Repairman Maintenance certificate and you can work for hire on E-LSA and S-LSA aircraft very quickly. Such experience could add to your qualifying experience towards the A&P.

but I would really like to earn the ability to work on other planes, too.
Just to add what was said above and in others posts, getting an A&P outside the school/work/military is difficult. A call to your local FSDO will clear that up to the point. But Rav makes a great point. Obtaining a SLSA repairman-maintenance certificate is an option to work on other planes and for money if you want. Best part no documented experience needed. Just attend a training school and pass the test. While there is discussion on using a SLSA mx cert to get an A&P there has been limited guidance. In my opinion it would a win/win for you and if the feds ever change the A&P rules having a mx cert wouldn't hurt. AC 65-32 has more info.

I received some credit for it but it's up to the fsdo. I had the added benefit That both I and the ap ia i Worked under had know the fsdo guys for years. Made getting the sign off a bit easier. It was also over twenty years ago, times are different now.

I guess I could build a Kitfox and a Lancair after the RV and then see if I have enough hours and variety of experience... ;)

I hadn't thought of the SLSA certificate. I'll look into that. We don't have many S-LSA planes on the field but that would be a nice accomplishment for me and give me more opportunities to learn about aircraft.

Thanks for the information and tips above.

The local FSDO credited my homebuilding toward the time required. I also had a lot of time working under the supervision of several IAs on a variety of airplanes mostly warbirds and antiques beside the homebuilts. Had a couple of IAs write recommends and it was no problem getting permission to take the written and practical. I was 63 when I got my ticket after working on airplanes for 40 years.

Back