Garmin 496 and 300XL

Indiana_Pilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Flying "B"
I have a Garmin 300XL in the panel and just came across a great deal on an old Garmin 496. I envision installing the 496 and pretending it's a new Garmin 430... lol

I know I can use rs232 output 1 from the Garmin 300XL and connect it to the data in on the Garmin 496. This will allow nav data to crossfill..

My question is this:
Does the "Aviation out" data stream include gps position data? I would like to not have to run an external GPS antenna for the 496.
The manual states the 300XL outputs nav data and velocity via aviation out but, I cannot determine if nav data means position data and not just GOTO, Waypoints, ect...

Can anyone weigh in on this?

Thanks!!

It appears that aviation rs232 data does in fact provide at least velocity, track ect.

The 496 appears not to be able accept position data via rs232 and requires the antenna still.

Unless I’m missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 300XL linked to a 396 in an Airgizmos and the 396 has a remote GPS antenna, which I assume it needs.

I also had them install a toggle switch on the panel to allow me to disable the data from the 300xl, so I could use the 396 separately. I seldom use that but it is handy on occasion, like if I want to “what-if” a different route around weather on the 396, etc without disrupting my current flight plan in the 300XL.

I also have XM on the 396, which uses a separate, bigger antenna/receiver. XM weather still has advantages over ADS-B, in my personal experience. Both antennas are up on the dash on the right and out of my view entirely. The wires were run under the glare shield and enter the back of the Airgizmos.

Hope that helps.

That’s how I ended installing mine in the last few days.. works great.

I was hoping to do without the extra GPS antenna..

f5a324a6e929bb906e20b6f8ef66cae8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back