How I ended up with a second home in Tennessee

alfadog

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
alfadog
So I was at Sun 'n' Fun this year. Drove in because there was no seat for me on the Beech 18 so I just kept driving. On one of the bulletin boards someone had placed an ad for an Apache. Asking $29k. I was interested and called. Airplane was in Livingston, TN, 8A3. I did some research and spoke to some very knowledgeable folks and haggled the price down to $18k.

Then I made my "mistake". I looked at the town of Livingston on satellite view and thought to myself, "That would be a nice place to live". Near a nice airport, small town, state parks nearby, rolling hills. So I looked on Zillow at houses near the airport. Running $80k and up. Not in my price range just then. Wait, what is this? $40k two block from the airport? I clicked a link and it took me to Hubzu. It was not $40k, it was $18k and on auction. What the heck, I started bidding and got it for $24k, the reserve price. I think the only other bidder was a shill bidding it up to reserve. Paid cash for the house. The entire transaction was handled online with firms in India and was smooth as silk. Closing costs around $400 including title insurance.

But I no longer had the money for the airplane. The owner held it for me on right of first refusal for months while I looked for someone to go half with me but, in the end, I had to let it go and he sold it for $22k.

IMG_7343.jpg

IMG_20180526_054847517_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
So I was at Sun 'n' Fun this year. Drove in because there was no seat for me on the Beech 18 so I just kept driving. On one of the bulletin boards someone had placed an ad for an Apache. Asking $28k. I was interested and called. Airplane was in Livingston, TN, 8A3. I did some research and spoke to some very knowledgeable folks and haggled the price down to $18k.

Then I made my "mistake". I looked at the town of Livingston on satellite view and thought to myself, "That would be a nice place to live". Near a nice airport, small town, state parks nearby, rolling hills. So I looked on Zillow at houses near the airport. Running $80k and up. Not in my price range just then. Wait, what is this? $40k two block from the airport? I clicked a link and it took me to Hubzu. It was not $40k, it was $18k and on auction. What the heck, I started bidding and got it for $24k, the reserve price. I think the only other bidder was a shill bidding it up to reserve. Paid cash for the house. The entire transaction was handled online with firms in India and was smooth as silk. Closing costs around $400 including title insurance.

But I no longer had the money for the airplane. The owner held it for me on right of first refusal for months while I looked for someone to go half with me but, in the end, I had to let it go and he sold it for $22k.

View attachment 67812

Well, at least you now have a roof over your head. Or does it leak? o_O

Well, at least you now have a roof over your head. Or does it leak? o_O

It leaks. Going up there this month to do some work on the roof. I am letting a nice family stay in the house rent-free until it is in shape.

Not shabby

How is the job market and economy around there?

Not shabby

How is the job market and economy around there?

Looks nicer from the front and 0.67 acre so a nice little piece of land. I looked at it when I just had a 3% deposit and could back out fairly painlessly. The realtor that let me in said with a roof and some repair, $120k easy. But I am not looking to flip. I am 65 and not looking for a new source of income. Livingston is small but I heard that there is work in the surrounding towns; Cookeville is the closest large town. Apparently there used to be flight instruction out of 8A3 but the CFI I spoke to, who used to fly the Apache along with the owner, said he moved to another airport because there was no longer a training a/c there :)

Plus!.. it's only about an hour flight from me, so you can easily come pick me up in the Beech 18's for a test ride as you finish them up.
All in the name of safety of course.

Plus!.. it's only about an hour flight from me, so you can easily come pick me up in the Beech 18's for a test ride as you finish them up.
All in the name of safety of course.

I definitely want to do some socializing with POAers once I start spending time up there. I can't say if I will have a Beech 18, though. But I might have my Arrow.

Looks nicer from the front and 0.67 acre so a nice little piece of land. I looked at it when I just had a 3% deposit and could back out fairly painlessly. The realtor that let me in said with a roof and some repair, $120k easy. But I am not looking to flip. I am 65 and not looking for a new source of income. Livingston is small but I heard that there is work in the surrounding towns; Cookeville is the closest large town. Apparently there used to be flight instruction out of 8A3 but the CFI I spoke to, who used to fly the Apache along with the owner, said he moved to another airport because there was no longer a training a/c there :)

So fix her up and have a nice pad a retirement CFI biz?

I like small towns like that, no ones in a rush, its peaceful, great place for a second home. Although at this stage in my life I would've picked the Apache over the second home lol.

I like small towns like that, no ones in a rush, its peaceful, great place for a second home. Although at this stage in my life I would've picked the Apache over the second home lol.

I know. But I figured that, given my limited resources, it is a lot easier for me to find another airplane to buy than a house at that price. But damn, I wanted them both!

Welcome neighbor. Hope you enjoy your stay.

Nice area. Used to flight instruct there a little when I was going to college in Cookeville.

Cool story! I love old Apache's. I was in the back yard last night when I heard a unique sounding airplane. Looked up and found it way up, higher than a stearman would usually fly but it sounded just like one. According to my flightradar ap it was an Apache at 8k feet chugging along at 130 kts. From that distance it had a real classic sound to it.

That is one cool looking Apache. Also, I want to hang out on that porch and get drunk off PBR; maybe get angry and run down the street yelling at mailboxes too. There's no better way to make a first impression on the neighbors.

That is one cool looking Apache. Also, I want to hang out on that porch and get drunk off PBR; maybe get angry and run down the street yelling at mailboxes too.

Yeah, wish I could have figured out a way to get the house and the airplane but it was a stretch for me to get one. So I chose the house. Don't regret it. I'm letting some folks stay in there rent-free while I get it ready to rent. Nice young family that could use a hand. The fellow told me he's got family members that make moonshine; he's going to have some for me next time I go up.

Awesome that you're able to help some people out in the process too. Seems really cool and spontaneous, I'm a fan.

Back