Light Sport Aircraft Suck.

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Light and Sporty Guy
Saturday afternoon. A few clouds at a few thousand feet, 10+ vis, wind is like 5ish, temperature around 70ish F.

Looks like a nice day for a ride.

Climb up to 2000 MSL (1400 AGL) leaving some breathing room between me and the 3000 class B floor above and the 2500 shelf just off to my right.

Ok, we are rocking and rolling. Not a big deal - light wing loading (probably about 7.5 lb/ft^2 - a big heavy Cessna 172 runs about twice that), what do you expect? Snow big deal.

Then. Bam! the 4-5 inches between my head and overhead structure goes to zero. Thank goodness that I have such a thick skull.

I don't need this.

Put it away with a grand total of 0.6 hours on the Hobbs for the day.

After training in more than a few, I can tell you that not all light sport are created equal.

I always wondered about turbulence in lighter planes so one day after having my ass kicked in my Cessna I launched right back out in my Cub so I had a comparison. The slower and lighter Cub got pushed around for sure, but not as abruptly as the Cessna. The hits were harder in the faster plane. I know, there's more to it than just speed but the results weren't what I expected.

Seat belt.
3 point harness.

Now, my brother's ride - in addition to the 5 point harness - has a second belt with a ratchet.

But, it was just a nice day to go for a easy ride - not some hard core acro!

On the bright side, I'm reasonably sure I didn't bend the tube I hit.

3 point harness.

Now, my brother's ride - in addition to the 5 point harness - has a second belt with a ratchet.

That’s good. As my dad used to say “You’ll grow back. That tube would have to be replaced.”

3 point harness.

4 or 5 inches is a long way, was it cinched? I like the cirrus front belts, I guess they are 4 point, but when you wear them correctly they hold you pretty well. I've only banged my head once on an airplane headliner, but I'm not nearly as experienced as some of you. I do cinch 'em tight though....

What's not to like doing 115 KIAS on 5.5 gph and doing my own maintenance and annual condition inspections?

115 KIAS. (I kid!! :) They're a nice blend of speed and economy)

The 5th point on a 5-point harness can make all the difference in turbulence; without it, the lap portion just hikes up over your pelvis when you hit a rough patch, and then you head becomes the bump stop against the canopy. The Van's planes are typically set up for 4-points in the basic kit, with the crotch strap attachment as an option...I'm glad I spent the extra time/money. I always cinch the shoulder straps a little tighter at the first hint of rough air.

A few years ago, I got a bump on my noggin in my LSA just like the OP. My head hit a cross bar of the steel frame skeleton of my Aerotrek (it's a Czech-built Kitfox clone). It was sudden and shocking, saw stars for a few seconds. But - BY GAWD! - I kept on flying!

Since then, I've made a point to cinch down on the 3-point harness, especially when there's turbulence. I also wear a cap to add a bit of protection to my bald head.

I dunno, looking at one of your videos. that tube looks pretty close to your head. You'd have to pull the harness down uncomfortably tight to keep your head away from it. Maybe some rollbar padding is in order.
Never felt like I even came close before (175 or so hours in it)... It was a pretty serious bump (at least, in my experience).

I also wear a cap to add a bit of protection to my bald head.
Somehow, I managed to miss with the padded cross piece on my head set and clonk on the front of my head.

Oh, and for the record, I was goofing on ya'll when I said LSAs suck. I normally enjoy my little ride - but it does like to rock and roll.

Oh, and for the record, I was goofing on ya'll when I said LSAs suck. I normally enjoy my little ride - but it does like to rock and roll.

I figured you were goofing. Since you fly an LSA, you know what you signed up for.

I've had wayyy more fun flying an LSA than I did flying a Cessna (172 & 182). From boring holes in the sky to 500-mile XCs, it's been great.

I had that happen in the 182 one day. Looking up before flying I could tell it would be a bit bumpy. But I was getting my teeth knocked out. Was up just practicing and about 20 min in i cracked my head off the roof. Scared the ****e out of me. Said F this. And boogied back to the field. Admittedly my lap belt could have been tighter though.

I figured you were goofing. Since you fly an LSA, you know what you signed up for.

I've had wayyy more fun flying an LSA than I did flying a Cessna (172 & 182). From boring holes in the sky to 500-mile XCs, it's been great.

Ditto. My Zodiac LSA is actually about 5 knots faster than my old 172, and is a lot more fun. It's like a sports car compared to four door sedan.

I had that happen in the 182 one day. Looking up before flying I could tell it would be a bit bumpy. But I was getting my teeth knocked out. Was up just practicing and about 20 min in i cracked my head off the roof. Scared the ****e out of me. Said F this. And boogied back to the field. Admittedly my lap belt could have been tighter though.

I just can’t seem to figure out which curse word you intended?

Saturday afternoon. A few clouds at a few thousand feet, 10+ vis, wind is like 5ish, temperature around 70ish F.

Climb up to 2000 MSL (1400 AGL) leaving some breathing room between me and the 3000 class B floor above and the 2500 shelf just off to my right.

Ok, we are rocking and rolling. Not a big deal - light wing loading (probably about 7.5 lb/ft^2 - a big heavy Cessna 172 runs about twice that), what do you expect? Snow big deal.

Then. Bam! the 4-5 inches between my head and overhead structure goes to zero. Thank goodness that I have such a thick skull.

I don't need this.

You shoulda just closed the throttle and gone looking for thermals. It's a smoother ride.

:p

Do like I do, leave the roof off. Problem solved!

Ron Wanttaja
But then he'll be able to see the runway while turning base. Where's the fun in that?
MCRUISE1.JPG

Last friday evening a good friend encountered wake turbulence from a USAF C-17. He saw the jet crossing his path and make a lap to provide spacing. No enough. At mid channel over the three mile water crossing into Lake Hood he encountered the wake. He’s flown all his life and says this was the most violent thing he’s ever experienced in an airplane. He was flying a 182. Both wings are bent at the strut attach. Both spars require replacement. You never know what a day holds.

Think excrement, but with a British accent. ;)
Lol. That’s right. Thought I could get away with that considering the whole post where they talk about dicks all the time :goofy:

I don't need this.

I've done the same thing in a F-4E, and a bunch of other aircraft.
Between the helmet and the bullet resistant canopy, it almost broke my neck.
Sometimes size really and truly doesn't matter.

Last friday evening a good friend encountered wake turbulence from a USAF C-17. He saw the jet crossing his path and make a lap to provide spacing. No enough. At mid channel over the three mile water crossing into Lake Hood he encountered the wake. He’s flown all his life and says this was the most violent thing he’s ever experienced in an airplane. He was flying a 182. Both wings are bent at the strut attach. Both spars require replacement. You never know what a day holds.

Ouch! Glad it wasn't a worse outcome. Flying around heavies requires extreme caution.

At least the wings just bent and your good friend survived. That speaks well of the 182.

Back